gen ii - topping off coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerbiker

Reaction score
not a complicated Q - searched the site and found new meanings for BJ's - but haven't seen answer. Anyway, have the 2007 bike a year, 13,300 miles, and coolant is half inch below min level. To add some (not a flush), am i supposed to be able to do so without taking left fairing cover off? Seems so in the owners manual, but would be a tight fit for my fingers and a funnel. Advice? thanks much.

mikerbiker,

I don't have a GenII but my method and Pics may help you:

1-First loosen nut at arrow to open the Filler Tang

1FjrFluidFill.jpg

2- Then I use this skinny Funnel to add the water or anti-freeze.

1FjrFluidFillFunnel.jpg

3- Then reverse the process.

Hope this helps.

I am able to pry/pop off the filler cap on my '06 without removing the faring and then use a short length of surgical tubing connected to a squeeze bulb to add fluid. My hands aren't large and the slot in the fairing is just wide enough to get my finger in there, but I bet you could use the pull tab on the filler cap witha pair of needle nose pliers. You don't need to add much fluid, so this method works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Got a skinny funnel at walmart today for under a buck and was able to flip up the coolant reservoir cover with my finger. i didn't realize there's a tab there on the cover to make it easier. Closing it was simple too - seems to have sealed shut. They make the slot in the fairing just big enought to reach it. Thanks for advice.

The book states to change this original fluid at 16,000; Has anyone done this or just added fluid to keep the level up?

Thanks

The book states to change this original fluid at 16,000; Has anyone done this or just added fluid to keep the level up?
Thanks
I just changed the coolant on my 06 and it wasn't that difficult. The proceedure starts on page 3-25. Go to page 4-2 in the repair manual to the schmatic for the cowling/steps. Took the left side panel and left side cowling off along with the front cowling left inner panel 1 off so I could take the coolant reservoir off to empty and refill. I also took the radiatior outlet hose off the water pump and drained about half a cup out of the hose. Real simple, one hose clamp under the rubber band wrap. I used spalkin's system to do a flush on a cold engine and it worked great. After you drain the coolant put the drain bolt back in, fill system at the filler neck with distilled water and then drain the water through the drain bolt. Did this three times and the third time clear water came out. Time for new coolant. Note: Do not get any coolant on the paint or your hands!! Wash off with water immediately.

spalkin's flush.

The manual says to "take the cowling off" which to me seems like waaaaaay too much work and I think the reason being is to eleminate any danger of getting coolant on the paint. I wrapped the right side lower cowling leg under the drain bolt on the water pump with aluminum foil (just like the other side while doing an oil change), to prevent any coolant from getting on the paint and that worked great. Also placed towels around the filler neck while adding coolant and I didn't replace the copper washer on the drain bolt as the manual reccomended and it is fine.

While I didn't have 16,000 miles on the bike it has been 24 months since a change (also per the manual), and this was the first flush. Personally I think the coolant was in good condition but I'm trying to stay current in case of any warrantee work that I might have to deal with. I think next time I could do a flush/coolant change by just loosing up the top of the left side cowling and suction out the coolant from the coolant reservoir and remove the inner panel to get at the radiator/cap fill. The whole coolant change/ flush took about an hour and a half. With the most time working with the panels. In all the miles I've ridden the level on the reservoir had never changed and was never drawn out.

Personally I would'nt worry about the level on the reservoir unless it at or below the lower level mark. There's not even a cup of coolant in there anyway. Hoped this helped. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator: