Gen III with Yami Touring Windscreen AND Laminar Lip ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I searched, I read and then I posted
no.gif

Has anyone installed the Laminar Lip on a Gen III Yamha Touring Windscreen?

If so, do you order the standard Gen III Laminar Lip or does it require a Universal?

Are you happy (with the Laminar Lip) not with your life in general etc.....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The laminar even on the stock helps out a lot, a lot.

On the touring Yami it will be even better.

Call Laminar and ask for the Laminar thingie that goes on the Touring model. I think they are the same.

But I can almost guarantee you 'll be happy with it...it appears to be the preferred set up among feejers

Laminar told me they had not tried the Lip on a Gen III Yamaha Touring Windscreen.

They had me take some measurements and we decided that the Lip designed for the stock screen should work on the touring screen.

I received the Lip Wednesday afternoon and installed it Wednesday evening.

I rode 689 miles on Thursday in high wind.

The lip remained in place.

The touring screen flexes considerably in high winds.

The Lip seems to work, there is less helmet noise and buffeting.

The lip stiffens the top of the touring screen.

The lip does a good job of throwing both bugs and rain over your head.

I'mgoing to keep it and tweak the installation a little bit. Once i'm happy with the location I think I'll make some holes and screw it on.

It stayed on on a brief foray above 120 mph to pass a long string of traffic afraid to pass an Amish horse and buggy in Wisconsin on Hwy 71.

Good deal big J,

Actually, I have read several post with happy campers using that set up.

Send a pic when you get it at optimum efficiency. I like to see how you mounted it

How much above the top of the touring screen do you have it extended now? I have one on order and hope to give it a try soon. Looking at a trip from Wis. out to S. Dakota and on to Montana later this Summer.

I installed the Lip with 1 1/4" extending above the Touring Windscreen.

The more critical measurement is the distance between the Lip and the Screen.

They recommended one inch, I don't quite have that inch and my remount will be an attempt to increaser that distance and improve the Venturi effect of the Laminar Wing.

I noted and reported that the Touring Windscreen has more curve in it than the Stock one.

Thus less distance between the Lip and the Screen when installed and less high velocity air going up between the screen and the wing or lip.

When i remount i intend to increase the distance by bringing the sides in about a quartwer of an inch, thus increasing the curve or bow of the Lip from side to side and increasing the distance between the lip and the screen.

John, thanks a million for the info on your mounting of the Lip. I have a Gen 1 with the Yamaha touring screen so I expect it may be very similar to yours. It will be interesting to see how well it works!

Thanks again,

Nick

John, thanks a million for the info on your mounting of the Lip. I have a Gen 1 with the Yamaha touring screen so I expect it may be very similar to yours. It will be interesting to see how well it works!
Thanks again,

Nick
I'm pretty sure he has a piece specifically for that application. Mine is a Gen III and thus no experience etc

John, any additional input on your setup? I have the touring screen and still experience some buffeting at speed, so I'm considering your approach. Were you able to get any more bow in the lip? I've used lips on a couple of previous bikes with generally good results.

I would suggest that buffeting is like oil brands. What is buffeting to one may not be to another.

Reason why I am saying this is because I rode is set up that people complained about buffeting and I thought it was not bad at all...I have also ridden on set ups that people claimed to be no buffeting and I thought they felt like a hurricane.

The think about the Laminar is that it mellows out the air flow....whereas there was once that dreaded 'buffeting', laminar prompts a smooth gentle air flow.

But my opinion, for whatever is worth, is that in order to completely eliminate what I think is buffeting, one has to have a windshield that goes well over your head. Then, the other variables that effect these wind dynamics are the contour of the shield, the angle of the shield, How far from the tip of the shield the rider seats and the cushion role your helmet plays in quieting the ride. If you are getting side winds all the pragmatic arrangements of the windshield may be nullified.

John, any additional input on your setup? I have the touring screen and still experience some buffeting at speed, so I'm considering your approach. Were you able to get any more bow in the lip? I've used lips on a couple of previous bikes with generally good results.
Haven't had time to mess with it yet, maybe this afternoon.