Gen2 Battery replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Yami wants to charge me about $25 to remove and replace my battery. The battery access cover is easy enough to remove. The battery is held tight by a metal strap with a connecting screw. I assume removing the screw the strap will separate and get out of the way. So bottom line are there any tricks to removing and replacing the battery on a Gen2? Does the side panel need to be removed? Thanks, Bill

You may have to "finesse" the plastic a bit to get the battery out but its easy. The second time you do it, it will take all of 5 minutes (maybe 10 minutes the first time)

If you can get duct tape on the sides of the battery it will be easier to lift the battery out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic rivet thingies: the open cowling is a magnet to those things. BEWARE. It will swallow them permanently and you'll never find them again. Seems like they get lost so easily.

Gary

darksider #44

Once you remove the screw in the strap, it unhooks under the plastic. Don't be afraid to pry/pull the plastic up a bit to make room. Once you get it apart, it'll all make sense.

Good luck!

--G

I keep hearing about difficulties with the rivet. Mine is simply the push-pin type. I take the same hex bit that I use for the other fasteners to push-in the pin, then reach behind the battery cover to push the rivet right out. Then when it's time to go back in, push the pin the other way such that it protrudes from the rivet. The rivet will slide right in, then push the pin flush. Really easy.

I keep hearing about difficulties with the rivet. Mine is simply the push-pin type. I take the same hex bit that I use for the other fasteners to push-in the pin, then reach behind the battery cover to push the rivet right out. Then when it's time to go back in, push the pin the other way such that it protrudes from the rivet. The rivet will slide right in, then push the pin flush. Really easy.
It's not that those pins are so difficult to operate.....it's that they are so EASY to lose (the pins, that is).

I plan to swap batteries this weekend so great timing and great advice guys. After deliberations I ordered the Yuasa from Amazon.

Got the acid in last night, so far so good. Guess it needs overnight on the tender, although I got 12.57 volts right after filling.

Thanks

The most difficult part for me is replacing the covering panel. I have resorted to swearing at the rear screw in the panel back while trying to get it back into place. Didn't do any good at all.