GenMar Risers & Cee Baileys Shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueStreak

Reaction score
Well, just installed GenMar Risers & the CB +2+3 flip shield this weekend.

This shield is GREAT! I have tried the Yamaha touring shield along with the Med & Large Cal Sci so this is my third try at finding a shield that works. This shield creates a nice bubble of calm air. In the full up minus about 1/2" lower, I see over the top of the shield but there is VERY VERY little to no helmet buffeting. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. The shield has great fit and finish. The "W" cover fit no problem as someone else has posted not long ago that they had a problem with their's.

The Gen Mar risers are good and do improve my posture by getting me more upright. The install was OK up untill I had to loosen the triple tree 36mm nut. I had to use a air gun and even with that it took some doing. I retorqued as per the Gen Mar instructions, 85ftlbs. I also used 3 zip ties to keep the cables a little more neat.

Just giving my feedback on two great products.

Peace,

Rob

I just installed the GenMar risers too. Overall, I like 'em. Made me feel like I was sitting lower in the seat and that's ok. Steering took a little getting used to. Oh yeah, that steering head nut was fun. I had to use a 2foot long breaker bar. Happy trails!

I also just had the GenMar risers installed and for me it was a great improvement in comfort.

Well, just installed GenMar Risers & the CB +2+3 flip shield this weekend.
This shield is GREAT! I have tried the Yamaha touring shield along with the Med & Large Cal Sci so this is my third try at finding a shield that works. This shield creates a nice bubble of calm air. In the full up minus about 1/2" lower, I see over the top of the shield but there is VERY VERY little to no helmet buffeting. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. The shield has great fit and finish. The "W" cover fit no problem as someone else has posted not long ago that they had a problem with their's.

The Gen Mar risers are good and do improve my posture by getting me more upright. The install was OK up untill I had to loosen the triple tree 36mm nut. I had to use a air gun and even with that it took some doing. I retorqued as per the Gen Mar instructions, 85ftlbs. I also used 3 zip ties to keep the cables a little more neat.

Just giving my feedback on two great products.

Peace,

Rob
Hi Rob,

I just received my riser yesterday, was the install straight forward? and extra tip other than the instructions?

Thanks

Mario

Has anyone tried to install GenMar risers without removing the top triple tree. I don't have a 36mm nut but I can see and feel where the wire looms attach under the triple tree so my thought is to remove one handlebar and try to remove one wire loom at a time. To me it looks like each loom is an indvidual part. Or am I missing something. One more question, the GenMar instructions state for 06-07 but it looks like folks have installed them on later models (mine is an 2011) so am I okay doing this? Thanks.

I'm going to go with the MCL triple tree riser when I can afford it but +1 on the CB shield. I find the same thing with my +4, the top edge at about nose height is quiet with little if any buffeting. I run it low up to about 40 mph then raise it as my speed increases. I disabled my auto retract as well.

Has anyone tried to install GenMar risers without removing the top triple tree. I don't have a 36mm nut but I can see and feel where the wire looms attach under the triple tree so my thought is to remove one handlebar and try to remove one wire loom at a time. To me it looks like each loom is an indvidual part. Or am I missing something. One more question, the GenMar instructions state for 06-07 but it looks like folks have installed them on later models (mine is an 2011) so am I okay doing this? Thanks.
The wire looms are one piece.

K Rider, thanks for the insight which helps explain the situation. How about the instructions saying for 06-07? Can you think of any reason why they wouldn't fit a 2011? Thanks.

K Rider, thanks for the insight which helps explain the situation. How about the instructions saying for 06-07? Can you think of any reason why they wouldn't fit a 2011? Thanks.
I'm not positive, but they should fit. I just bought a 6 side deep well 36mm socket tonight at AutoZone for $20. I seen a star style socket, wasn't deep well, for around $8. Some auto stores will let you borrow one if you let them hold the charge on your credit card.

I'm not positive, but they should fit. I just bought a 6 side deep well 36mm socket tonight at AutoZone for $20. I seen a star style socket, wasn't deep well, for around $8. Some auto stores will let you borrow one if you let them hold the charge on your credit card.
K RIder, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to give up on being cheap and will buy the socket.

Okay, went to Sears and bought a socket for approximately $9. This morning used the dremel tool to make two cuts, one for each side, in the wiring looms. Note: I cut one side a little and then the other so as not to get the metal too hot and melt a wire or hose. Also inserted a flat blade screwdriver in the loom to protect the wires and hoses in case I got careless with the dremel. Afterwards, bent the looms to open them up, used the air impact driver to loosen the stem nut and had the top triple clamp off within a half hour. Once off, the looms come right off so putting the triple clamp back on took less than a couple of minutes. Got everything back together and torqued and so far like what I am experiencing; however, I will say I almost didn't do this since the stock bar position was okay (only near the end of long ride did I feel like having the bars closer would be ideal). If you are sitting on the fence for doing this, do what I did, and watch the forum for a used set. If they don't work out, you can resell them for similar money and try something else. Thanks for all the insight with doing this mod.

Last edited by a moderator: