Gerbing Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you preffer

• Gerbing G3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gerbing Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SPORT

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase some heated equipment soon and have not decided between the Gerbing classic or the Gerbing G3 heated glove. I understand the G3 is thinner, but also uses more heating element to be warmer. Are there any thoughts here as to which is preferred?

Thanks for your experience.

Sport

I've got the Classic gloves and I couldn't imagine using anything warmer. I also have the thermostat, and, at the most, I have the dial set to half power on the coldest days. But then cold in California (26 degrees F) isn't the same as cold in PA. They are a bit bulky but that's to be expected; I can still operate all the controls and switches with no problem.

I am looking at getting Gerbing heated liners for my existing gloves or heated gloves. Have either of you looked into the liners?

Sully

I bought the G3 because it seemed to fit my hand better (I have long fingers and the classic gloves felt a little odd around my fingers and tops of hands). Also, I preferred the adjustable velcro wrist-strap.

I am looking to purchase some heated equipment soon and have not decided between the Gerbing classic or the Gerbing G3 heated glove. I understand the G3 is thinner, but also uses more heating element to be warmer. Are there any thoughts here as to which is preferred?
Thanks for your experience.

Sport
If it uses more heating element then it might draw more voltage, something the FJR does not have in abundance.

I have the Classic gloves, the only ones I knew of when I bought them years ago.

G3's wear more like my summer non-heated leather gloves (just not as bulky for heated gloves)

Classic's fit like I was wearing my childhood snow gloves (comfy, but bulky)

Both throw out the heat. :) and I put in a bigger stator so no problem running all my extra electrical additions. Probably my best unseen farkle.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Classic, but pretty much don't use them since I purchased the First Gear (made by Warm 'N Safe) Carbon heated gloves. These are waterproof, the Gerbing are not. Note that only the First Gear Carbon are waterproof, not the ones sold under the Warm 'N Safe name.

I have the Classic, but pretty much don't use them since I purchased the First Gear (made by Warm 'N Safe) Carbon heated gloves. These are waterproof, the Gerbing are not. Note that only the First Gear Carbon are waterproof, not the ones sold under the Warm 'N Safe name.
Aren't the conectors from First Gear interchangable with Gerbing?

Aren't the conectors from First Gear interchangable with Gerbing?
Yep. And I do keep the Gerbing gloves with me in the winter riding season for the really cold days since they do tend to be warmer. But they are too bulky for me for fall/spring riding.

The G3's seemed to fit my hand much better than the Classics so therefore I went with them....dont use a controller at all...for me it is just plug and ride...of course, I only use them on days when it is 25 or below. If it is above that I can make it the 30 miles to work with just my ski gloves.

And, with a little bit of Nikwax they are pretty darn waterproof...at least I havent felt any water while wearing them on some 40 degree rain tests to/from work.

I should have added that I install the V-strom hand guards for the Winter season. Most of the wind chill is deflected so the insulation in the gloves keeps my hands warm enough. I have a dual controller w/ the jacket ordered so the gloves can be controlled separate from the liner. Unless it's really cold I don't even turn them on. For instance, commuting 20 miles in 35 degree temps I haven't needed the heat on.

Guess I should provide more details.

I ride pretty much year round here in PA, lest there be ice on the roads.

In addition to the V-Strom hand deflectors, I also have heated grips. But my riding year goes well into those 20F days where my hands and toes still freeze. I purchased a Gerbing dual controller last spring and plan to use it for heated socks and gloves.

First Gears carbon knuckled heated gloves have caught my eyes too. Did I understand correctly that they are not as warm as Gerbing?

Are heated grips good enough or should heated gloves be the choice? :unsure: I haven't installed my heated grips, but maybe I should have went with heated gloves. I live in the Cincinnati area and plan to ride till they put salt down.

Are heated grips good enough or should heated gloves be the choice? :unsure: I haven't installed my heated grips, but maybe I should have went with heated gloves. I live in the Cincinnati area and plan to ride till they put salt down.

Heated grips are OK till about 30F. Anything below that and your palms sweat while the top of your hands and your finger tips still freeze.

Heated grips are OK till about 30F. Anything below that and your palms sweat while the top of your hands and your finger tips still freeze.
Though the weather here in the Central Valley of CA isn't as cold as yours in the Northeast, I decided on heated gloves for exactly the reason you mentioned. I can't stand it when my fingertips get cold so my decision was to have the heat on the outside of my hands and it has proven the right choice for me.

Jerry -

I had the heated liners, tried a borrowed pair of Gerbing classics for a while, and recently got the G3. Haven't had an opportunity to try the WarmNSafe.

The heated liners were OK, but the bulk of them under snowmobile gloves had my dexterity almost to the level of wearing mittens. The warmth riding to work in the mornings was wonderful for riding to work, but flipping switches could be cumbersome. I couldn't imagine going without a controller, as a couple of times I rode with them under regular 3-season riding gloves and I got burned where the liners bunched. I don't think I ever turned them up above mid-range.

The Classics were great and the only reason I didn't buy a pair was that I already had the liners and cheaped out. I didn't use them on the 20s-F days, but they were plenty warm in the 30s and never probably needed the controller above mid-range.

I just got the G3s recently, so temper what I'm going to say by knowing that so far I've only used them in the 40s just to play and see if they worked. They rock. I have both heat and dexterity. Obviously, the controller never reached the mid-point due to the air temps. I think the reason they are supposed to draw a little more is because the Classics covered less area with wire, while the G3 has less insulation, so has less unheated space between the internal wires. The net is that both are plenty warm, but in slightly different ways. The only times you notice the difference are (1) when not running the heaters, the Classics are warmer, and (2) the G3 are more like wearing a lined 3-season glove, so you don't think about them when going for switches, your visor, or anything else that needs finger-level dexterity. If you're down this way or we hook up sometime soon you're more than free to try them.

Another guy had a question about heated grips. To me, they were OK for shorter rides or when the temps stayed above about 40, but just didn't cut it when you're in the cold for a couple of hours commuting every day and it's colder than that.

Bob

Damascus, Md