Getoffs and Wild Bill Hwy peg brackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Since my ditch surfing episode my bike has returned to its home... the shed in my backyard. When I arrived at Mercer Wrecker Service to pick her up, there was a very, very small puddle of drips under the bike. Upon further inspection of the fluid, it was definitely oil.

I figured... I'm going to get her on the trailer & go... I'll deal w/ the drippage later.

Once the bike was home, I did some further investigation as to where the drips came from. It appears that the peg bracket, upon bending, did indeed torque the screws & allowed a small amount of oil to escape the stator. It also bent far enough back to put a bend/crease in the top of my oil filter.

I took the peg off & reapplied the OEM bolts that were originally in there, snugged 'em up really well & no more slow leak.

I feel that the benefit of these pegs far outweigh any chance of them doing any realtime damage. Will I have them on the bike again? Hell yes! I've got a request into Terry right now to see if I can acquire just one bracket.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had my 15mph-lowside last year, the left bracket was slightly bent and so were the allen bolts. I replaced the screws and everything is fine. I did not have an oil leak.

When I first installed the pegs I had a very slight coolant leak on the right side, but once I carefully tightened the allen bolts everything has been okay.

Since my ditch surfing episode my bike has returned to its home... the shed in my backyard. When I arrived at Mercer Wrecker Service to pick her up, there was a very, very small puddle of drips under the bike. Upon further inspection of the fluid, it was definitely oil.
I figured... I'm going to get her on the trailer & go... I'll deal w/ the drippage later.

Once the bike was home, I did some further investigation as to where the drips came from. It appears that the peg bracket, upon bending, did indeed torque the screws & allowed a small amount of oil to escape the stator. It also bent far enough back to put a bend/crease in the top of my oil filter.

I took the peg off & reapplied the OEM bolts that were originally in there, snugged 'em up really well & no more slow leak.

I feel that the benefit of these pegs far outweigh any chance of them doing any realtime damage. Will I have them on the bike again? Hell yes! I've got a request into Terry right now to see if I can acquire just one bracket.

Heidi
So how bad is the total damage to the bike?

jim

I'll say I did the scratch test! Actually, more like a "slide" test.

Yes... yes I did!

Does anyone have any experience w/ bending aluminum? My mounting plate f/ the peg is bent & I seriously do not want to order a new one if I can help it. I'd like to bend it back. If there are any sharp edges, I'll sand them down and send both off to be powder coated.

Yes... yes I did!Does anyone have any experience w/ bending aluminum? My mounting plate f/ the peg is bent & I seriously do not want to order a new one if I can help it. I'd like to bend it back. If there are any sharp edges, I'll sand them down and send both off to be powder coated.
Contact Skyway. He bent mine back for me recently, though it wasn't that bad.

As for the original topic of the thread, this corner

Cal242006037b.jpg

led to a most unfortunate high side, where this occurred to the right side Wild Bill mount

FJRCrash098.jpg

Result was a trace amount of oil moisture a long the seam of the cover. Never so much as a drip.

Mine may be bent just a little more than that... & it's the other side. Thank ya' greatly. I need to contact him, anyway. I'll ask about this also, Heidi

A couple of years ago, former Forum member ChrisinNH got center-punched by a cager and his Wild Bill on the right side help minimize some the damage but at the expense of the bracket.

Find one very flat driveway or parking lot; place several sheets of newspaper upon the afore mentioned flat surface; place warped bracket on paper followed by several more sheets of newspaper; drive car tire over whole paper sandwich; admire outcome; done :blink: B)

I bent one of my mounts on the right side, similiar to the SkooterG photo above. I laid mine on a heavy metal surface and pounded it out with the heavy mallet. Function over form with me!!