Getting a seat without a ride in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian B

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR and need a new seat. I can ride about 100 miles on the stock seat before I am done. I raised the seat and it helps take some pressure off of my bones but not enough and now I can't stand flat footed anymore. I don't really intend to ride more than 400-600 miles a day so I don't need a 1000+ mile seat. There is no way I could swing a ride in appointment from Texas to California so I would like to know if a mail order Bill Mayer Evolution would be much better than a Sargent or Corbin. I know I can send a Mayer back for adjustments but I would rather not have the bike seatless for that much time. I had a Sargent on my CBR and if felt more like a sport touring seat than a sport bike seat since it had a little dish to it, but I had to sit all the way back on it to get into the contour.

Sargents and Corbins are off-the-shelf seats. I've had both on previous bikes.

Bill Mayer saddles, and other too, are made-to-order. With a mail-in seat, you must answer their questionnaire (weight, inseam, materials, etc.) and send photos of yourself on the bike.

So the answer is simple. Mail your seat to BMS. If you require any adjustments, ride-in. Money well spent!

Here's mine:

PC070005.jpg

I would love to ride-in and get it done right. I am just concerned about how well the seat can be done without the ride in. I am a few thousand miles from Ojai and don't have the vacation time to burn up on a trip right. Not to mention my ass would be too numb when I got there to offer any kind of feed back on the new seat...

QUOTE (Brian B @ May 29 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to ride-in and get it done right. I am just concerned about how well the seat can be done without the ride in. I am a few thousand miles from Ojai and don't have the vacation time to burn up on a trip right. Not to mention my ass would be too numb when I got there to offer any kind of feed back on the new seat...
Well, you could put out a request to borrow a locals Gen II, fly out and bring your seat(s) with you. I've offered that with my Gen I.

The ride in is definitely worth it. I can't even sit through a movie let along a 1000 mile day on a bike. I have had two seats done at BMS and they are great. I can now do an all day ride and not feel like I am going to die. You could always do the mail in thing with the pics and the questions. That should make your seat 100% better. Then if it needs a touch up you could ride in or just send it back. The guys over there are great and take what you tell them and turn it into a comfortable seat. With both of my seats I went in and had them done, then after a few thousand miles went back and had them do a touch up. After you ride a few thousand miles you figure out exactly what you want to make it perfect for you and you condition your but and the seat to work together. I am getting ready to schedule my touch up on my second seat. Have two things I need done to make it closer to perfect.

The goal is to get as much of the seat in contact with your posterior as possible to help support it so you are not relying on those two little bones back there to support you.

Ouch!

John

Although ride in would be best, most people with Bill Mayer saddles mailed them in and they're all pretty darn happy, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I have a mail order Rick Mayer and love it.

I did the BMS mail in recently during the group buy and have nothing but good things to say about it. Remember you only get the Evolution seat if you are BIG enough...Lots of recent comments about the BMS seat in the group buys section...Good luck!

My last 2 custom seats have been Russells and neither were ride in. I've been very pleased with the results. Send as many photos of you on the bike (different angles, knee angles on pegs, etc.) and discuss the points about the OEM seat that don't work for you like you want. The better your description the better the results.

I have a mail order Rick Mayer and love it.
I have a Rick Mayer as well. The ride from VT to CA was out of the question for me so I sent mine out during my winter down time. Money well spent. Got a SS1000 out of the seat. Wife loves it as well. And he is good about adjusting it if needed.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the pictures of the Evolution since it didn't look as large and other seats I have seen on the BMS site. I didn't know it was for "big guys". Since I don't ride more than 200-400 miles a day I would rather avoid the bigger all day seat.

I did the mail-in with BMS in the group buy. Had both seats done in leather. Non-evolution style. pillion seat was just covered.

Took the bike for a 1600 mile ride, 2-up. I am very happy with the result and would do it again in a heart beat.

Do not be afraid of mailing it in. These guys have been doing it so long, they can look at you pics and measurements and get it right.

I am kind of in the same boat with needing a new seat. I have the Sergeant but its just not enough of an improvement for me.

I have a medium gut but a bony ass.. no cushion where needed.

I was thinking that if I decide to keep this bike long enough I would try to do the fly in and fit the seat. then fly back and hope for the best.

I also have a narrow and bony ass so I am thinking something from one of the Mayer brothers would be good enough for me. Since I am not going to be riding longer than 300-400 miles a day I don't think I would need the wide support of a Russell. I also like the lines of the narrower seats on the sleek FJR.

Not all russels are wide..

Some dont have the wings.

I was told that unless your 220 or over dont get the wings but im not convinced.