Getting An OEM Type Key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
I lost one of my keys and am under the impression that if I go to a Yamaha dealer with this key and tag,

IMGP1023.jpg

then they they will be able to cut me a key that looks like the one that I got with the bike...{ you kno with that black end plastic thingee part} RIGHT?

Per my experience, you go to the Yamaha dealer's parts counter and have a choice. You can either ORDER the matching key from Yamaha or ORDER the key blank (Yamaha part no. 4BH-82511-09 for an '05).1 If you order the blank, the dealer won't cut it; you have to find someone who will.

It is a good deal more difficult to align the Yamaha blank and template key properly on the template/cutting machine than most keys. I got lucky and my local TruValue hardware store has someone2 who paid attention to detail, double checked that he had the right clamp installed and that he had aligned it all properly before cutting me a perfect key. I bought two blanks at the dealer but only had the hardware store cut one, so I have an extra that isn't cut. Why did I buy blanks instead of the pre-cut key that Yamaha could have provided instead (from the number on the tag)? Because the pre-cut key was something like $21, while the blanks were around $4 each. I think I paid about $2 to get the one cut.

Just reporting my experience when I lost one of my two '05 FJR keys. Sorry it doesn't make as much sense as your expected (also my expected) procedure.

1 Black end plastic thingee part included with either option when it comes in and you pick it up.

2 First key maker guy bailed after some trouble setting it up, and went to get the store expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key tag number only benefits you if you are ordering a precut replacement key from Yamaha for megabucks.

Some dealers actually STOCK Yamaha key blanks and WILL cut you a duplicate, IF you arrive on the motorcycle that fits the key.

Odds are you will bend a key or two over time, so do yourself a favor and order a couple blanks now.

:)

Hey, just a question: Has anyone tried taking a blank and the code to a locksmith? Do they have the means to cut from code?

Hey, just a question: Has anyone tried taking a blank and the code to a locksmith? Do they have the means to cut from code?
My experience is that most key places don't have the correct type blanks. Some a close type but don't work. The right "locksmith" could have the blank and more important the knowhow as exskibum mentioned to make the right cut. Not positive but think the "code" is Yamaha only. I may be wrong on that? PM. <>< :unsure:

I have had a locksmith cut me a key blank that looks like a standard Yamaha key. (with Black Plastic) and a blank without black plastic. Both of these blanks are harder and stronger then Yamaha's

This locksmith worked out of a truck in a small midwest town. So you guys from the big city should be able to find a locksmith with these blanks.

Good luck,

Dana

I walked into the local lock place in my little town and had 2 extra keys made...uhm...sans black plastic. I always carry an extra key set in a separate pocket. You never know. Looking like OEM wasn't as important as having the key.

FYI: ILCO #X248/YM643

Just had 3 spares made, cost me all of 6 bucks. No plastic, but that's ok, like MM sez, naked keys fit better in wallet or hide spot.

My brother-in-law the locksmith cut me a key from an automotive Honda blank. It fit the sidecase locks, but wouldn't go into the ignition or seat locks until we ground the plating off of it. That miniscule thickness difference was enough to make it too think. Looks nasty, but it works so I have a spare (original owner only gave me one key,) and being the brother-in-law and all, it was free.

I'm going to give him the number from Madmike's post and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you guys check the Bin-O Facts? Sheesh.................. :p

"Ignition Keys:

Equivalent part numbers: Ilco YM63, Taylor X248, Curtis YM63,Silca YH35R

Same blank is used for: Yamaha: YZF, FJR, FZR, FZ1, R1, GTS, XJ, V Star, Road Star, Royal Star, Venture, F1, Warrior & TT-R models - 1993+. Vino Scooter 2001+.

Other Keys: Givi V46: Taylor X76 "