Getting my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.hisham

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been eyeing a couple of bikes at a local dealer here in Kuala Lumpur and have made up my mind that I want to get a bike, although it may or may not be an FJR - but I'm about 95% sure that the FJR is the way to go for me, based on the stuff I've read here and other sites.

So my concern is this. I've never been on a bike before... well, actually I have but it was back in '88 and it was, if I recall correctly, a Yamaha 150cc bike. And the ride was so brief that I would rather say that I've never been on a bike before. Having said that, obviously the plan for me is to take it very cautiously - get acquainted with the bike and myself on the bike for a couple of months (under a learner's license) and then get a full B license perhaps by Jan next year.

So given the above, I naturally have some concerns. Has anyone ever taken this route before (from no experience at all going straight to a 1300cc bike)? Is this completely crazy? I would like to hear from everyone in general and particularly the experienced riders on how I can best go about this so that I don't get myself hurt but am able to enjoy riding as well.

Btw, just some background to put things in perspective

- I'm fast approaching 40

- very small frame - only 5ft 7in and approx 130 lbs

- 2 kids just hitting their teens

- not into it for the speed or trackdays.

- more interested in the leisure aspect and enjoying the scenery while I ride. (very much into photography and bring my cameras with me everywhere)

- will probably only ride on weekends for short trips

- maybe go on longer (1000km) rides once or twice a year with a small group of friends

I'd really like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Oh and if it makes any difference, my better half isn't too happy that I've decided to switch from 4 wheels to 2 wheels. She worries about my safety and such. But me being me, I want to try to do everything at least once. :)

EDIT: btw, I'm not sure if I've put this in the right section. Sorry if it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP! STOP!

:clapping: :clapping:

No, Seriously...Stop.

The FJR is a great bike. Of course expect many here to say that.

I and I am sure many others would agree this is not the correct path for you to take, unless you have a multi-million dollar policy you would like to leave your family!

Truthfully, Yammie; on their website and their manuals specifically say this is not a beginners bike. It is not a beginners bike, a learners bike, a part-time weekend warrior's first time bike, or 4wheel to 2 wheel bike.

A more reasonable path would be to go to the internet and do some reading, searching and all will agree with this response.

Go take a MC safety course first.

Then go and find you a bike you can handle and learn on, many say make this first bike a very well condition pre-owned bike, some say buy new; either way just buy a 600cc -750cc bike.

The category of the FJR is another thing you need to consider; Sport Touring....Most all sport tourers are 1000cc or better, bmw have an 800cc. Stick with the aforementioned cc's.

Take your time and learn to ride properly on a bike you can handle, then after you've logged some miles, not necessarily time, but miles on the bike then you consider going to a more powerful bike like the FJR1300.

Myself at 6'3'' and 240 started with a Concours 1000cc, 1992. I gave myself a 10,000 mi learning mark. I went 13k before I bought an FJR1300.

Glad you stopped by and good luck to ya!

Thanks for your feedback and advice. I'm hearing the same advice from others as well. But I've really got my heart set on that bike but I do also want to (try?) and keep a level head about me. What made me want to go to 2 wheels is the FJR 1300 itself so for me, getting another bike is kind of a let down.

What was your experience like when you got your Concours 1000cc? I'm sure you probably already knew how to ride but was the 1000cc really a big learning curve? What were the mistakes and what where the things you did that you thought were the right things to do?

Nik.

won't the FJR be a bit "big" for KL?

When I was there....400cc was the biggest bike I saw. A plethora of 125cc and 250cc...but nothing much bigger.

Agree with concerns expressed so far. It's not a bike for newcomers. It will bite if you don't treat it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

Yes, I would guess 95% of the bikes on the road are 250cc or less. The bigger bikes that are common would be either 400 or 650. There are 1000cc bikes but you would rarely see them in KL.

I won't be using the bike as my main transport even though my commute to work is only 15 minutes - all highway - and my workplace is really well outside the city. In fact, I don't intend to ride it into the city at all. Heck, I don't even drive my car into town. I'll always take the train.

If you go out of the city, there are lots of back roads where you'll see plenty of big bikes - everything from the 400cc ones to the Gold Wings.

Nik

Hello there

My suggestion would be to ride a 400cc bike for at least 3 months on a daily basis just to get re-acquainted with shifting, breaking, cornering and overall behavior of a bike. Once you feel comfortable handling this bike, go ahead and do a test ride with a 800 cc or 1000 cc bike. If this feels like you can handle it go and try the FJR there won't be much of a difference any longer.

The power of the FJR can be applied either aggressively or in a more gentle fashion depending on your style and desire. Having a lot of power under your seat does not mean you need to use all of it all the time but it's sure nice to have it available when needed.

Good luck and ride safe

Alfred

To add my .02 -

... - very small frame - only 5ft 7in and approx 130 lbs ...
I'm 5ft 8in and 145 lbs, when I got mine even after having a Trophy 1200, the FJR felt really heavy, and my feet wouldn't touch down fully.

IMHO the FJR will be too tall and heavy for you until you've built up experience with smaller bikes.

As others have said, start smaller, build up to the FJR over months or even a year or two. Believe me, it will be worth the wait.

Oh, yes, get some professional training.

Hello. My name is Darmie. Welcome to the forum.

I"m not an fjr owner yet but plan on one soon. Couple of thoughts for ya.

Consider reaching your goal in steps. Find something that you like that maybe smaller, easier to learn to ride, smaller cc. This does a few things. Cuts down on insurance. Helps you build up skills with low bad habits. Gets your family in the idea that you now own 2 wheels. Once you feel that you had mastered your skills, and this includes so many things from traffic awareness to just making the bike lean in a curve at speed. Right now as you drive your cager, think of riding the bike and learning to watch out for the threats. There are many on the road. On the bike, it's live and you want to stay that way. Then, you can always sell to re coop your money. Heck, time may pass that a family member may want to learn as you did and well, you already have the bike.

Now, what to consider.

What really brings you to the FJR? For me, it's Country touring in comfort. Good mpg. Maintenance record. Not as boring as a goldwing. What to try more of a sit up feeling of riding. (I'm coming from a Honda Sabre.) Great internet following and this forum.

What's in an FJR for you?

As you ask yourself that question, see what other bikes may fill the same requirements that may be an easier bike to learn on. There are SO many great bikes out there but only you can relate to them. Plenty of folks here form this forum can help. It's full of experience riders that may have came from many other bikes.

I think it would make a great poll; What bike you came from before the FJR, and are there any riders that the FJR was your first bike.

I know it's hard to convince the family of wanting to ride on 2 wheels. I don't have the best ideas on this approach. I've been married for 26yrs. It helped I guess when we dated, I had a bike and she liked riding.

There are spot trackers that if you do plan on touring on weekends, your family can watch you move around on the map via the internet. Do you have friends that ride? Married? Maybe wifes can share stories. Find good insurance because things do happen. Being 45, my first accident was on 9-11-09 when a rider coming down the mountain lost control and slid into my path of travel. It could have been worse and I"m doing much better. (But, there went the sabre. Good time for me to move to an FJR, so I think.) But, back to the point, Look into a good insurance plan. And I'm not talking on a company that pays for damage but setting up friends that may offer some help if you go down. Someone that you know you can call when you may need help getting the bike back home. Also looking into triple A. See what options are out there that you can count on in time of need. You will need it. Not today, not tomorrow but maybe 30yrs from now. Well, anyway you get the point.

I wish you the best in your travels and hope you find the enjoyment in 2 wheels that most of us have.

PM anytime.

Darmie

Thanks for your feedback and advice. I'm hearing the same advice from others as well. But I've really got my heart set on that bike but I do also want to (try?) and keep a level head about me. What made me want to go to 2 wheels is the FJR 1300 itself so for me, getting another bike is kind of a let down.
What was your experience like when you got your Concours 1000cc? I'm sure you probably already knew how to ride but was the 1000cc really a big learning curve? What were the mistakes and what where the things you did that you thought were the right things to do?

Nik.
Yes, after careful consideration and reading on line, I decided I could handle the Concours 1000 because of my strength and build. Taking the MSC was the best decision ever made. I handled the Connie with KIt gloves. Why the Connie? Wasn't familiar with Sport Toruing, as a matter of fact I only found out about ST while at the Yamma dealer and saw the FJR as I was sitting on the bike. Of course once the salesman realized I was lured to the fjr, he tried to sell it to me. I could not see myself dropping $14k on a new bike just to see it drop and scraped up. The Connie came in after doing a search for ST bikes on cycletrader. It was only $3k and had crash bars front and back, and looked great. Had 69k miles for an 1992. True enough I dropped it 3 times.

Once in Grimes county on the country roads, coming out of a stop tire caught gravel (gravel whoa! Nelly) We shot accross the road to the other side, not making the turn and layed it down going about 10mph.

Second/Third, was parking manuver at a wal-mart, got caught in between decision of how to park, down we went going 2mph.

Crash Bars saved everything, had to straighten them out though.

So, if you have to; Get a smaller bike, dropping is going to happen, these bikes are fast, nimble; but upwards of 6oolbs, once they lean, they are hard to recover.

Believe it or not, I have heard people tell stories of when they first started riding they just forgot to put their foot down at the stop light.

Hi nik.hisham,

My advice would be to take a motorcycle safety course and start out with what the instructors recommend. I think a ninja 250 or 500 would be a possible first bike. This is what I am buying my son for his first motorcycle. I started on a 125, then to a 350, to a 750 for 10 years and now to the FJR.

Just sayin. Good luck and keep the rubber on the road. :ph34r:

Im a first time rider this year. I took the bike course in May and bought my FJR at the end of June. I have 8000km on the bike and that works for me. Im same age but a bit bigger than you . Im 6.2 and 205 lbs. All I can say is take your time , I learned lots here and so far so good no problems.

The best money I think I spent besides the FJR was the bike course. I learned lots and it was a good eye opener. There are lots of good tips here and people on the forum will help yeah out.

Good thing to remember is ride at your own pace and take your friggen time. Someone here said " Drive like everyone is out to kill yeah" I didn't say that to scare yeah off a bike, but for you to always be alert of your surroundings.

I hope that helps yeah.

JT

Take the course. It's the best investment you can make. You learn how to handle a bike at low speeds and cornoring skills.

The FJR is heavy and has a high center of gravity which takes some getting use to and skill to keep upright at low speeds.

I went from not having ridden in 34 years to buying my FJR in Nov of '08. I took the safety course the month I bought the bike. I only drove on weekends in rual areas so as to to see

a minimum of traffic, so I could develop skills. I went from no bike straight to the FJR because at 61 years old, I wanted the FJR to be the only bike I would have to buy.

I have now ridden a little over 5000 miles on my FJR. I did not feel confident at all in the beginning, but after lowering the bike and doing the suspension settings

found on this Forum, that feeling went away.

For reference I'm 5' 9"" and 160 lbs.

What ever you buy please Take The Course, and wear the gear!!! :yahoo:

Wow. I didn't think anyone would have the patience to provide detailed responses. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences and kind advice. I truly appreciate it.

After reading the responses, there is so much to digest and I'm working it out in my head - although being hard headed as I am, I still have not put away the idea of getting the FJR without an interim, smaller, bike in between. But the consensus seems to point me to getting a smaller bike. However, there have been folks who went straight to a 1000cc + bike and have managed well and enjoyed their experience.

What JT has done is pretty much the route I was scheming on. The dealer I've been talking to (who naturally wants to sell me the biggest bike they have) does have training and they do insist that I take it, regardless of what bike I choose considering its been over 20 years since my last time on a bike. So I am going to enroll in the course and learn with a pro.

@Darmie, I think what you suggested about thinking like a biker as I drive is a great idea. In fact, for over a month now, I've been imagining in my head that I'm riding a bike every time I drive. I even go as far as practicing my clutch and throttle while flicking my left toe up or down to upshift or downshift. Of course, its no substitute for the real thing but I imagine it would help a little when the day comes (which could be as soon as next month).

Another aspect I'm concerned about owning a bike (which I did not ask earlier), be it an FJR or other, is the maintenance. No matter which forum I go to, it seems that every biker is very hands on in terms of repairs and such. I'm not particularly inclined this way. I prefer to leave the maintenance to the qualified people. I just want to enjoy my ride. Is the FJR similar to, say my Toyota which I only need to worry about putting in the gas and driving? Of course, I never miss the scheduled service for my car and it shall be the same for the bike.

Again, thanks for taking the time to guide me.

Nik.

I've been eyeing a couple of bikes at a local dealer here in Kuala Lumpur and have made up my mind that I want to get a bike
Good for you!

So my concern is this. I've never been on a bike before...
Yikes!

Having said that, obviously the plan for me is to take it very cautiously
No offense but starting off on a FJR is *not* "taking it cautiously".

Has anyone ever taken this route before (from no experience at all going straight to a 1300cc bike)?
Yes - I did. I had no experience when I first started riding 5 years ago and I started off on a 1300cc, 800+lbs Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. *WAY* too much bike for a beginning rider.

Is this completely crazy?
Yes.

Now, that being said - it *can* be done but it;s just not playing the percentages.

Oh and if it makes any difference, my better half isn't too happy that I've decided to switch from 4 wheels to 2 wheels. She worries about my safety and such.
Good - and so should you. Riding a motorcycle *is* dangerous - don't let anyone tell you different. You can lessen the danger but you'll never completely get rid of it.

Another aspect I'm concerned about owning a bike (which I did not ask earlier), be it an FJR or other, is the maintenance. No matter which forum I go to, it seems that every biker is very hands on in terms of repairs and such. I'm not particularly inclined this way. I prefer to leave the maintenance to the qualified people. I just want to enjoy my ride. Is the FJR similar to, say my Toyota which I only need to worry about putting in the gas and driving? Of course, I never miss the scheduled service for my car and it shall be the same for the bike.
I'm the same way - I have no mechanical skills whatsoever. As long as you don't mind spending the money and you trust the guys at your bike shop to do the work properly, there's no real need for you to turn a wrench on any bike you own.

The FJR is an awesome bike but not definitely not a beginner's bike. Your size and physique is not so critical when actually riding the bike but moving that beast around in your garage, parking lots, etc is another story. It weighs about 5 times your body weight and is somewhat top heavy. I have to take particular care when moving it around and I am 6' and 190 lbs. Your inseam will make it very trying for you as well. Example - - you roll to a stop on a slight hill, put down your foot, and there is sand/gravel on the pavement. You are leaning a bit because of your inseam and your foot slides out a little. You are screwed and the 650 lb bike goes down; no way to stop it. As a first bike, the FJR is analogous to a new car driver having a Dodge Viper. In the final analysis, it will not be an enjoyable experience and you will probably end up hating the bike.

As suggested above, take the MSF courses; try the different bikes they provide; discuss with a suitable bike with your instructor; make an informed decision. I believe that a 650-750cc cruiser like the Honda Aero and Spirit would be perfect for you. You sit lower in those bikes making them much easier to manipulate and foot paddle with. Also, they are much more forgiving to ride.

My .02 - - good luck!

After reading the responses, there is so much to digest and I'm working it out in my head - although being hard headed as I am, I still have not put away the idea of getting the FJR without an interim, smaller, bike in between. But the consensus seems to point me to getting a smaller bike. However, there have been folks who went straight to a 1000cc + bike and have managed well and enjoyed their experience.

Yes, and there also have been quite alot that have crashed and got hurt, and even a few that have died.

Sadly the odds lean that way.

I am not really sure what particular attributes the FJR has that makes it that appealing to you. Is it the luggage ?

Seems like for the use you envison here, you would be better off with a mid sized cruiser, (Like a Kawasaki 900 or better yet a V Star Tourier 950:

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/cru...rer/detail.html

As it will do all you ask and has a 26.5 seat height, so you won't feel overwhelmed by its size. (and be able to put both feet flat on the ground )

Not to mention save some money...and maybe your life too.

KM

Nik, whatever you decide I wish you all the best, but I feel the pain of your delima. I'm 46 and started riding nearly 25 years ago on a used 79 Honda CB750K; I really wanted a new scooter for short distance travel but my dad forbid it and insisted that a motorcycle was safer. I kissed the pavement a few times in those early days, sometimes it was my fault and sometimes it was because of someone else. In 1993 I purchased a brand new 94 Honda CB1000 and enjoyed every moment with that bike until it became difficult to get parts for it. I only dropped that bike one time and it was because I was too eager to leave on a trip rather than wait for the ground to dry from a previous rainstorm. I sold my beloved CB last year and purchased my 2009 FJR this past September. I mention all of this to let you know that you have to be careful with bikes. Select a bike that is within your capabilities and ride within your own limitations; not others. I don't recommend learning to ride on your new bike when there are plenty of schools that will let you learn on their bikes. I agree with most of the others in this thread that believe you should learn on a smaller bike. Not meaning to jinx you, but I would hate to read about you dropping your new FJR shortly after purchase; have you checked the cost of replacing plastic on the FJR??!!! Trust me, I've seen guys taller and heavier than you drop brand new bikes as soon as they leave the dealership because they haven't spent enough time on a bike to understand its weight or throttle response. I know what it's like to have your heart set on something and nothing else will do; that's fine when it comes to the high-end watch or stereo you had your eye on, but a motorcycle should not be thought of in the same manner because a mistake can cost you serious injury or worse. So, whatever you decide, choose wisely and make a decision based on logic rather than heart. Good luck.

Latest posts