Gilsson GPS antenna.. Anyone use one. Are they any good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit

Reaction score
I am going to get an external antenna for my garmin Quest . I found these gilsson antennas pretty inexpensive. Anyone have one? Are they any good or should I spend some extra bones and get a garmin antenna?

Last edited by a moderator:
A link would help here..........

Why would one need an "external antenna" ? My Zumo seems to work well even inside my house, what would adding an antenna accomplish, especialy on a bike where the unit is in the open anyway......

KM

My Quest works great, But I keep reading about people loosing satellites in poor weather, Mine hasnt, But I thought I might add the antenna just for extra reception. I like the quest adn its waterproof ( rains alot here in Alabama) so waterproof is a must.

I agree with "who would need an external antenna for a GPS". Regardless whether the price is right, you need to ask yourself if you'll actually achieve any better reception than you already do with just the GPS unit itself.

Satellite signals are "Line of Sight". Which means it does not take much to interfere with them. Kind of like a satellite television signal where a simply tree blowing its leaves in front of the antenna will screw with it. If your concern is the signal you'll get on a bike, spend your money on some other farkle. If you lose your signal while riding down the road, chances are, an external antenna probably won't help in that situation anyway.