Gimme some lip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
I purchased a Laminar Lip from another forum member for my '04 FJR. I wanted to put some miles on it before rendering any kind of verdict on its usefullness. We've had alot of unusually windy weather here in SW Ohio of late, so it was tough to make a call initially. Now that I've put a few hundred miles on it, I'm gonna have to say it's well worth its relatively low price of admission.

Airflow is much smoother around it and buffetting is all but gone. Noise is still alot more than I'd like it to be, but I blame that on the stupid noise generating vents on top of my helmet, and I do believe it's improved over what it was. I can actually tolerate riding without earplugs now, although I still use them 99.9% of the time anyway.

Downsides:

1) Attachment system is lackluster. Yes, it's some WICKED velcro (3M Dual-lock), but it holds SO tight, that now I'm afraid to try to remove the darn thing to clean underneath for fear of pulling the adhesive side off the shield before the velcro actually lets go. You almost have to stick a knife or screwdriver between the two halves of the velcro and PRY them apart.

2) At the wrong height, the two stacked shields can cause a little visual distortion if trying to look through the shield. Kinda like those stupid Fog City Fog shields, if you've ever used one of those. But overall I don't find this to be a significant problem.

3) With the lack of buffetting, I now find myself riding too fast on the highway (since it's more pleasant to do so) and am just begging for a ticket. But I reckon that's my issue, not the product's. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Overall, I do believe I'm glad I bought it. I had previously tried stock, Yami tall, and Cal-Sci, each with and without a tuning block. I'd have to say that this yielded the best result of all, which is good, since it was cheap, and I was tired of buying and trying shields. I give it two thimbs-up.

YMMV,

I would have to agree. I have been using the lip for 3 years and for the money it works well. I think it is kind of ugly but so am I so we get along. I gave up on taking it off for cleaning and just use Honda cleaner and a paint stick to get as much as possible. :D

While i liked my Laminar Lip, It didnt survive the 120mph pre warp take off... :(

The lip must have caught an updraft or something and seperated the MONSTER velcro and my bike tried to do the best Doug Llewelyn impersonation... NO LIPS! :lol:

Dougllewelyn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The lip does indeed work very good. The Lip works best on the stock windshield. I put the Lip on my ahamaY windshield where it induces quite a bit of windscreen buffeting. I don't feel the buffeting but the motion is quite distracting in my lower vision. I've found that I rarely need to raise the windshield so far up that I'm looking through the Lip. My Lip came with a bag of extra elephant Velcro dots.

Dots shown on the right side as seen through the ahamaY windshield, no Lip in place, the pace for the day was too fast to bring the Lip.

RoadView.jpg