givi bag mounted to a stock rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijuggle

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a Givi bag mounting plate to the stock rear rack on a Generation 1? If so, can you give me any suggestions as to a method. What the heck is the stock rack made out of? Plastic?

I have both a Givi and the stock racks. Looking at them, it looks like if you are willing to drill on your stock rack, a few well-placed holes would allow you to mount the Givi baseplate to the stock rack. The exact details will depend on which Givi case you are talking about, and thus which baseplate.

Actually, the Givi plastic mounting plate would have to sit up and the rear mounting holes would be very close to the edges of the stock rack. I looked at doing this and it wouldn't be hard, but you'd want to use some square aluminum tube from Home Despot or elsewhere as spacers cross-wise between the stock rack and Givi mount.

Also, I've got a spare Givi M5 mounting plate due to an ordering goof on my part. There are 6 on EBay right now for $40-$62.29. For $30 & shipping from 20882 you can have mine and it's brand new in the box. At that price, you can see how it fits and re-sell it if this is something you don't want to try. Send me a PM if interested.

Bob

OTOH, the best thing about a Givi bag is the stout mounting rack, IMO. It may not be purdy, but it is sturdy as all get-out, and will hold a metric buttload of weight or at least until your rear sub-frame cracks. :blink:

I have a Givi 52 liter bag on the Givi rack. The reason I'm thinking about using the stock rack with Givi bag is; The Givi rack's passenger handles rub the sides of the passengers Russell seat, this Givi rack is also showing some rust at the welds. I was thinking of fastening an aluminum plate to the stock rack (somehow?) and bolting the Givi mounting plate to it. Another thought is to have the Givi rack handles cut off, welded at an angle that will not rub on the seat, check the rusted welds and reweld them if needed. Or buy another rack and modify the handles to clear the seat....

I bought a allm reck from twistedthrottle.com, can complain at all lloks great and can handle the weight

I have a Givi 52 liter bag on the Givi rack. The reason I'm thinking about using the stock rack with Givi bag is; The Givi rack's passenger handles rub the sides of the passengers Russell seat, this Givi rack is also showing some rust at the welds. I was thinking of fastening an aluminum plate to the stock rack (somehow?) and bolting the Givi mounting plate to it. Another thought is to have the Givi rack handles cut off, welded at an angle that will not rub on the seat, check the rusted welds and reweld them if needed. Or buy another rack and modify the handles to clear the seat....

I am really glad that you mentioned this. I have the Givi rack and a Russell saddle, but I had the rear seat recovered, not reworked. Now that my wife has seen the peaceful buttock bliss that I experience with the reworked saddle, she wants me to rework her half this winter. I had not considered that there would be interference with the rack.

You say it "rubs" the sides, how badly? Can you still fit the seat on (and the grab handles become unusable)?

With the trunk on the back, I'm not sure how often my passengers even use the grab rails. I'll have to ask them.

Have you approached Russell about this? What did they have to say? It may depend on how the bottom end of your passenger is shaped as to how wide the Russell seat has to be. My wife is a 110 lb lightweight, so maybe they can make a smaller, narrower version of the rear seat that would fit between the rails. I 'll probably shoot them an e-mail with this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just mounted the same bag on my 2007. I looked real close at mounting to the stock Yammie rack and decided to spend the money for the Givi SR357 rack because of flex in the Yami rack aft of the front two bolts. That rear-most bolt is threaded into a little stub that is visible inside your tail piece and the stub is cantilevered (out on it's own). Unfortunately, the Yami rack is very thin and has a lot of flex, which means potential fatigue for the sub-frame stub. The Givi rack has it's faults but flex isn't one of them.

Bob

Latest posts