GIVI installed...unrelated bracket suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flybum

Reaction score
Got the Givi yesterday and is now installed. First ride complete...bought wifey Christmas...first use of Givi complete. Too bad they don't have a color match for the '08's. So I went with gloss black.

photo.jpg

Got too impatient for a ride, so I will install the back rest and brake lights later...maybe tonight.

photo-1.jpg

My other ride. Bought it a week after my son was born...son is same year model as bike. His when he is old enough.

photo-2.jpg

The boy

photo-4.jpg

Now a request for advise. I have my base stickers stuck on the side fairing and hate them their. Required to be on the left side and visible...does anybody have a suggestion for a custom bracket and location to mount? Have access to materials and tools, fabbing not a problem. Here is the current location, wish it were somewhere else.

photo-3.jpg

I stuck my DoD decal on a square of vinyl sticker and then zip tied that to my left fork leg. No gate guard ever gave me a hassle even though it wasn't permenantly affixed *per se*. When I wanted the stickers gone for an out of state trip or whatever, I just clipped the zip ties and it was off.

If they ever do take issue with this, just peel the back and stick the whole thing to the lower fork leg.

I stuck my DoD decal on a square of vinyl sticker and then zip tied that to my left fork leg. No gate guard ever gave me a hassle even though it wasn't permenantly affixed *per se*. When I wanted the stickers gone for an out of state trip or whatever, I just clipped the zip ties and it was off. If they ever do take issue with this, just peel the back and stick the whole thing to the lower fork leg.

Thought about making a bracket out of aluminum and attaching to the front brake caliper, but don't want to keep pulling those bolts every time I want to go "stealth." Only problem with the zip ties, anybody could snip those off and have a DoD decal. Don't want to have to explain to the skipper why my decal was so easy to steal, what with all the security issues lately. trying to get away from sticking them directly on the bike, but want something that is not a hassle to just simply remove when I'm in town or something. It's bad enough now that we have bar codes we have to attach to a side window on cars, hope they don't start making us stick those on the tail of the bike or something. If you can't tell, I hate having stickers on my vehicles.

How about small bracket that goes onto the left slider mount-point? Taking the slider off to install and remove the plate doesn't sound too difficult, or even onerous.

On re-reading the OP, I see that you don't have sliders installed...find, just install this bracket were they would go then.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about on the front of your helmet? (wink)

Honestly I have no idea. I will probably just put it on the front fork, although I HATE that it "marks" me as a military target wherever I go. Hopefully one day soon the Army realizes that while the soldier is told to "blend in" with the general public to minimize the threat of being a target, it's harder to do so with a DOD decal permantently affixed to your vehicle.

Alexi

Sucks you even have to have the stickers any longer. Bases with 100% ID checks should do away with them (Mine did).

Vertical on the front shock would be my choice.

If you have a need to hide the sticker? I piece of gray duct tape with a piece of paper protecting the decal will make it disappear fairly quick.

Thought about making a bracket out of aluminum and attaching to the front brake caliper, but don't want to keep pulling those bolts every time I want to go "stealth." Only problem with the zip ties, anybody could snip those off and have a DoD decal. Don't want to have to explain to the skipper why my decal was so easy to steal, what with all the security issues lately. trying to get away from sticking them directly on the bike, but want something that is not a hassle to just simply remove when I'm in town or something. It's bad enough now that we have bar codes we have to attach to a side window on cars, hope they don't start making us stick those on the tail of the bike or something. If you can't tell, I hate having stickers on my vehicles.
A very good point about the zip tie snip. I wasn't concerned the least about it at work, but off post I could see the issue. I will say, that in 3 years of riding I never had anyone mess with mine. I only went 'stealth' as Alexi put it, when I was out of state.

For what it's worth, I was able to take the blade of a utility knife to a car and it was gone in 30 seconds on a warm day. If someone wants your sticker they'll get it.

Personally, if I were putting a registration sticker back on my bike, I'd stick the DoD decal to a slightly larger piece of sticker and stick THAT to my front fork leg. That one piece will be hard to get off, but still come off easier than the individual squares when it's time. Regardless, the fork leg probably is the place to put it.

How about small bracket that goes onto the left slider mount-point? Taking the slider off to install and remove the plate doesn't sound too difficult, or even onerous.
On re-reading the OP, I see that you don't have sliders installed...find, just install this bracket were they would go then.
Like it. Will have a look.

How about on the front of your helmet? (wink)
Makes sense, saw a guy who had his license plate riveted to the back of his jacket. He was on a fast mover.

Sucks you even have to have the stickers any longer. Bases with 100% ID checks should do away with them (Mine did).
That would only make too much sense. How do you get around or on other bases requiring the stickers? JAX now has bar codes you have to put on the side of your car to allow you on during certain threat levels or emergencies. Screwed if I ride my bike that day. How's TACAMO?

That would only make too much sense. How do you get around or on other bases requiring the stickers? JAX now has bar codes you have to put on the side of your car to allow you on during certain threat levels or emergencies. Screwed if I ride my bike that day. How's TACAMO?
I actually like the bar code/threat level idea. If it's only used when needed. There really are no other bases in the area. If I'm on another base, I'm typically in a rental. So ID and rental agreement do the trick.

Hows TACAMO...What do you want to know? I've been on the community since the cannonball was a black project.

It's a good community for a family guy who doesn't mind middle america.

What rate and platform you on now?

Which Givi is that, V46? My wife and daughter miss having the t trunk behind them when riding, and I miss the convenience.

Hows TACAMO...What do you want to know? I've been on the community since the cannonball was a black project.

Which Givi is that, V46? My wife and daughter miss having the t trunk behind them when riding, and I miss the convenience.

PM sent

Givi is the E52. Love the convenience, especially with all the "gear I have to carry" for the job. about to check into the new squadron and don't have a locker yet.

PM sent

Givi is the E52. Love the convenience, especially with all the "gear I have to carry" for the job. about to check into the new squadron and don't have a locker yet.
Glad you posted the pic. The 52 looks good. It changed my mind on being too big. I was going to put a 46 on.

1/4" x 20 and M6 security button head bolts (pin-in-hole) in chrome and/or stainless steel are available at auto parts stores there next to the license plate frames. A simple 2mm/.080" piece of aluminum sheet attached to the fork's left reflector bracket mount point would give you a reasonably secure but quickly removeable mounting location for the DOD sticker.

I would use the M6 bolts (to match the rest of your metric hardware). A 4mm security allen wrench is nearly the same size as a 5/32" version (.0013" difference), so even if you lose the included wrench, you can reasonably find another one. (!/4" hex drive insert bits are reasonably commonly available in security versions.)

1/4" x 20 and M6 security button head bolts (pin-in-hole) in chrome and/or stainless steel are available at auto parts stores there next to the license plate frames. A simple 2mm/.080" piece of aluminum sheet attached to the fork's left reflector bracket mount point would give you a reasonably secure but quickly removeable mounting location for the DOD sticker.
I would use the M6 bolts (to match the rest of your metric hardware). A 4mm security allen wrench is nearly the same size as a 5/32" version (.0013" difference), so even if you lose the included wrench, you can reasonably find another one. (!/4" hex drive insert bits are reasonably commonly available in security versions.)
Thanks Mark, great suggestion.