Givi Mount, which one would be better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRJ Jc

Reaction score
I just ordered my first Givi top case and picking the size, color was easy. I'm at a crossroads when it comes to which option would be best to mount my case. Anyone have any advice on which would be best? The price difference is too small for it to be a factor for me.

I will be riding two up from time to time. Will both options mount the top case at the same location or will one be closer to my passenger then the other?

Option 1- Specific Plate:

100x97_E228.png

Option 2- Specific Carrier:

0.0.1.varc_sr357.jpg

TIA

Jc

Wow, Givi finally figured out it's better to just make an adapter plate for the OEM rack. I would go for the adapter plate with the OEM rack - Option 1

IMO no adapter plate can match the cantilevered rack and plate combination in option 2. It holds a TON.

OK, so it isn't color matched but so what? I bought it for function, not looks. Nothing else comes close.

IMO no adapter plate can match the cantilevered rack and plate combination in option 2. It holds a TON.OK, so it isn't color matched but so what? I bought it for function, not looks. Nothing else comes close.
I have the GIVI rack, since that's all that was available for the FJR a couple years ago, and it's perfectly fine. I just don't know if there is any real benefit to slight angle offered by the rack vs. the Special Plate.

The one benefit you would get with the Special Plate is that your Givi box would seat a little lower on the bike, so a smaller sail behind you.

I've read on this board that the GIVI rack places the box a little further back than the adaptor plate. I've got the GIVI rack and it does hold a ton, and it's very sturdy. Which box are you thinking of mounting? I've got the E52 and my wife felt like she needed the backrest because the box was too low and she felt that leaning back would make her back curve uncomfortably. So having it further back aided in giving her room for the backrest and her padded jacket.

Alexi

I've read on this board that the GIVI rack places the box a little further back than the adaptor plate. I've got the GIVI rack and it does hold a ton, and it's very sturdy. Which box are you thinking of mounting? I've got the E52 and my wife felt like she needed the backrest because the box was too low and she felt that leaning back would make her back curve uncomfortably. So having it further back aided in giving her room for the backrest and her padded jacket.
Alexi
I will be going with the E55 with the back rest option. Thanks for the tip about the space though. I'm not a very big guy at 5'9" and 160 lbs but the extra space might nice.

IMO no adapter plate can match the cantilevered rack and plate combination in option 2. It holds a TON.OK, so it isn't color matched but so what? I bought it for function, not looks. Nothing else comes close.
I have the GIVI rack, since that's all that was available for the FJR a couple years ago, and it's perfectly fine. I just don't know if there is any real benefit to slight angle offered by the rack vs. the Special Plate.

The one benefit you would get with the Special Plate is that your Givi box would seat a little lower on the bike, so a smaller sail behind you.
Good point on the sail comment. The case will definitely help in the storage department, wife might like the case a little higher in the back though.

There are other threads on Givi mounting.

If you like option 1 (and accept the weight on the rear sub-frame vs more distributed with the frame and rail model, then I'd recommend PCA's TopBox rack ($160) with Givi mounting kit $18.50 https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Yam...6_09_s/4972.htm

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/v/v...CABP10028-2.jpg - note this does not have the $18 GIVI mounting points installed. PM me if installed pictures are desired

I like the cleaner look - I'm not inclined to advertise Givi to the side. And it is slightly adjustable

The Givi cantilevered solution should be stronger, but how much weight do you plan to put in the case? I doubt I ever hit 15-20lbs and that is with a laptop in there and the PCA is plenty strong enough for that

I have the Givi V46 with backrest - my wife likes the height (note - she is short at 5' 2")

If you get the back rest make sure you get the soft version. If your wife's jacket has armor in the back you will not need the pad. I removed the pad from my 52L since it was hard and moved the rider slightly forward. My wife's jacket has armor and the pad is not needed.

I just ordered my first Givi top case and picking the size, color was easy. I'm at a crossroads when it comes to which option would be best to mount my case. Anyone have any advice on which would be best? The price difference is too small for it to be a factor for me.
I will be riding two up from time to time. Will both options mount the top case at the same location or will one be closer to my passenger then the other?

Option 1- Specific Plate:

100x97_E228.png

Option 2- Specific Carrier:

0.0.1.varc_sr357.jpg

TIA

Jc
The photo in Option 2 is misleading. That is a European offering. Since side bags are standard on the North American FJR, we don't get the extra bracketing to mount Givi side bags.

Also, the Givi rack is rated for a much higher load. The Givi plate is rated to the same amount as the FJR grab rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback! It's too bad none of the stores have in store demos to check things out but I will consider everything mentioned above.

I got the Givi topbox rack from Premier Cycle accessories. I think this option makes the box sit the lowest. I haven't carried anything really heavy, but it seems really stable. The PCA rack is a well made laser cut plate that when used with their hardware kit, mounts the box right down on the plate without the added height since it doesn't need the adapter plate.

I also installed the optional Ardmore light kit which really helps keep some of these drivers that don't look past the end of their nose off my butt :yahoo: