Givi rack with top box on a 2007, is it reliable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Givi Rack and using it with a top box. I have seen a post where the rack broke and have not seen in long term reviews. I was also curious if the Give rack allows plenty of room for a passenger without pushing the passanger forward.

Ross

I have mounted a GIVI E250 universal and used mounting plate made by one of our own guys here. OHFJR I think is his screen name. Great fit and looks totally secured. Do a search on GIVI and you will find it.

I have the GIVI FJR specific rack on my '05 and have had no problems. The metal part of the rack is very strong and I don't see how it could break under normal use. The plastic adapter also seems plenty strong, though I would expect that to go before the rack itself if something had to give.

I installed a Givi 35 liter "monolock" (not monokey) trunk (model E350N) on my 05 about 2 weeks ago. The included "universal mount" was easy to install in under 30 minutes. It seems pretty strong - but not as strong as the monokey system. I will be placing lighter more bulky items in it with a weitght below about 10 lbs. The trunk, along with the mounting plate, was only about $120 with shipping (on sale now at rlmotorcycles.com - good buying experience). If you will be using it a lot or for heavier items, go with the monkey system - but for those of us that will use it less frequently and put less weight in it - the monolock system looks good to me.

I did a search and read up on both systems, and for my use the $120 monlock system is great. Good quality, one key to open or remove, mount looks good with the trunk off, fairly substantial, and the price is reasonable. More $ than the JC Whitney trunk, but much less than the monokey and you still get Givi quality. That's my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.

Keith

Don't know for sure what case I have except it is blue and has the yamaha logo on it. After looking at the way it secures to the base, the weight and speed limits, I felt better securing it with a couple of bungies before and during my 2000 mile Key West round trip.

I have mounted a GIVI E250 universal and used mounting plate made by one of our own guys here. OHFJR I think is his screen name. Great fit and looks totally secured. Do a search on GIVI and you will find it.

The rack(s) he is speaking of can be found here. Clicky

The Givi Monokey mounting rack is quite strong and very substantial. I purposely bought one for my 06 to mount a non-Givi trunk. While not the prettiest addition it looks like it could outlast the bike. I recommend it for mounting anybody's trunk.

How does the Givi rack work with a passenger? Does it place the top trunk far enough back?

The Givi Monokey mounting rack is quite strong and very substantial. I purposely bought one for my 06 to mount a non-Givi trunk. While not the prettiest addition it looks like it could outlast the bike. I recommend it for mounting anybody's trunk.

How does the Givi rack work with a passenger? Does it place the top trunk far enough back?
My Givi is the V46 and it is very nice for a pillion to use as a backrest. They sell a back rest pad, but I don't have that and I don't think it's necessary as long as your pillion wears protective gear. Our jackets are all either heavy leather or nylon with a back pad.

There have been several members on this forum that have had their Givi racks break at the weld. Maybe not all Givi racks are made the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

I made some relocation plates out of some 1.5" x .125" flat stock and bolted them to the GIVI Rack to move the GIVI MAXIA E52 back 1.5". Wife likes it much more with the Pad!

IThe included "universal mount" was easy to install in under 30 minutes. It seems pretty strong - but not as strong as the monokey system. Keith
Keith,

I'm a new 07 owner...I was looking the pictures of the universal mount and then at the FRJ luggage rack...how and where does the universal mount attach? Did you use the three existing bolts on the FJR rack to hold the universal mount in place? FNG :dribble: needs to know. Thank you.

Curt

07 FJR & 06 RSV

Suamico WI

IThe included "universal mount" was easy to install in under 30 minutes. It seems pretty strong - but not as strong as the monokey system. Keith
Keith,

I'm a new 07 owner...I was looking the pictures of the universal mount and then at the FRJ luggage rack...how and where does the universal mount attach? Did you use the three existing bolts on the FJR rack to hold the universal mount in place? FNG :dribble: needs to know. Thank you.

Curt

07 FJR & 06 RSV

Suamico WI
+1

The question was asked:

I'm a new 07 owner...I was looking the pictures of the universal mount and then at the FRJ luggage rack...how and where does the universal mount attach? Did you use the three existing bolts on the FJR rack to hold the universal mount in place? FNG needs to know. Thank you

No. There are 4 brackets that attach the universal plate to the stock luggage rack. It was easy on my 2005. I would think you could line the mounting bolts up thru the mounting plate and the stock luggage rack on an 07 easily, but I can't say for sure. There are literally 50-100 or so holes in the mounting plate that can be used, then a cover snaps into place so you can't see how its mounted to the bike's luggage rack. I am out of down this week or I would post some pics.

You just need to be creative to get everything lined up and secured well. Mounting plate was designed for flat luggage rack, but it worked well with my stock rack. I was hesitant to get the monolock, but I'm happy I did. Good deal for $120. Hope this helps.

The question was asked:I'm a new 07 owner...I was looking the pictures of the universal mount and then at the FRJ luggage rack...how and where does the universal mount attach? Did you use the three existing bolts on the FJR rack to hold the universal mount in place? FNG needs to know. Thank you

No. There are 4 brackets that attach the universal plate to the stock luggage rack. It was easy on my 2005. I would think you could line the mounting bolts up thru the mounting plate and the stock luggage rack on an 07 easily, but I can't say for sure. There are literally 50-100 or so holes in the mounting plate that can be used, then a cover snaps into place so you can't see how its mounted to the bike's luggage rack. I am out of down this week or I would post some pics.

You just need to be creative to get everything lined up and secured well. Mounting plate was designed for flat luggage rack, but it worked well with my stock rack. I was hesitant to get the monolock, but I'm happy I did. Good deal for $120. Hope this helps.

That helped....I now understanding...Thank you.

Curt

If this is your concern, I would recommend OHFJR's rack. Have one, looks nice, bolts to universal GIVI (250) mount in 2 positions. Wife likes the seating position, has relieved a lot of stress on her knees <I think it's puttin'em down in the corners is what's been hurten her so much> You can probably mount the GIVI rack in a couple other positions as well. Plus it looks nice with GIVI rack off. I got one that's a nice size to hold my laptop case. I think it's more solid than the SW-Motech rack.