GIVI + seat bag???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm on my 8k trip and I'm not liking my luggage arrangement. I have the super large seat bag from aerostitch (can't remember the name of it--but it's Japanese). It's a great bag. But I also have a second bag hanging off the luggage rack. It's a Helen Two wheels duffle that holds my camera gear.

My question is this:

Can I keep my HUGE seat bag AND mount a GIVI topcase to replace the duffle? It looks like it might be tight. If so, I'll order one from the road and mount it up out west.

Mogan

I'm jealous, hope you're having fun !

I have the Givi C46, with the Givi mounting frame, on my '05. The C46, when attached, encroaches on the rear seat area (the very rear of the rear seat) by just a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. So...

If your big bag can fit just on the passenger (pillion) seat, then you should be OK. If the big bag takes up more space that that, then it'll be a judgement on your part as to whether you think it will pass muster. I looked at your 'loaded & ready to go' photo on the blog & couldn't quite tell if it was too big or not. Out to WFO5, I had a duffel bag on the pillion seat with tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, & lots of other stuff that was 'probably won't need it but just in case' type stuff. Kept on with bungee cords hooked to the Givi frame (worked well). The duffel bag encroached on my seat area a little, but because it was soft stuff inside the bag I could just push against it to create some 'space' as necessary.

YMMV, all trademarks are the property of their respective owners, offer void where prohibited by law, etc etc.

Short answer...yes.

I rode abt 5000 miles in early June on a solo trip out West and had a Givi V46 on the tail and a North Face waterproof bag (bright yellow) on the rear seat. It carried the sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, and misc other items. I placed the sleeping bag forward in the duffel (next to my back) and found that it makes a convenient back rest...D&D risers and long arms helped here!

Duffle2.jpg

SettingSail.jpg

EDIT: The North face duffel came from REI...look for one of their stores out west.

Last edited by a moderator:
It carried the sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, and misc other items
could you elaborate a bit about your tent? Thinking about getting one to use on the bike when touring. Looking for easy setup, small packing, 2 person.
I got the tent years ago at REI. It is high in the front, low in the back and is pretty easy to set up. It has a rainfly and I also got the under tent ground sheet to match. I also use it for backpacking. Can't remember the name of the tent...it was an REI brand. Check w/ REI...they have a good selection of 2 person tents to chose from...and many more features than mine has...you know, modern technology and all that.

I'm on my 8k trip and I'm not liking my luggage arrangement. I have the super large seat bag from aerostitch (can't remember the name of it--but it's Japanese). It's a great bag. But I also have a second bag hanging off the luggage rack. It's a Helen Two wheels duffle that holds my camera gear.
My question is this:

Can I keep my HUGE seat bag AND mount a GIVI topcase to replace the duffle? It looks like it might be tight. If so, I'll order one from the road and mount it up out west.

Mogan
If it will fit...go the E52...it holds more & you won't regret it....that's what I used two up....to go to WFO & back....3 weeks & 3 days on the road.... ;)

I got the tent years ago at REI. It is high in the front, low in the back and is pretty easy to set up. It has a rainfly and I also got the under tent ground sheet to match. I also use it for backpacking. Can't remember the name of the tent...it was an REI brand. Check w/ REI...they have a good selection of 2 person tents to chose from...and many more features than mine has...you know, modern technology and all that.
Many thanks I'll check out the web site. Ron