Givi top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip

Reaction score
I have settled on a Givi top case, but not the size. I am going to do some long distance touring, camping along the way and Givi recommend the V46. I had been thinking about going even larger (more room is better), but am interested in hearing from those on this message board. Thanks.

Yes, do yourself a favor and get the bigger one. I camp 2-up all the time, in the Northeast and Canada. I could'nt do it without the 52 liter. I manage to fit a 2 person dome tent from Eureka, 2 Northface full-sized sleeping bags, and an all weather bike cover inside the trunk, and 2 Thermarest sleeping pads tied to the luggage rack.

Dawg, I will be traveling one-up, single person tent, etc. Same recommendation? BTW, I have heard of some riders experiencing higher speed wobble and do not know if larger cases are more prone. Thanks again.

BTW, I have heard of some riders experiencing higher speed wobble and do not know if larger cases are more prone. Thanks again.
I have the 52-liter top box and just did 750 miles solo with it last weekend. I didn't really notice any wobble with it, but I wasn't heavily-loaded either. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, if there is a decent-sized bit of luggage strapped to the pillion seat, that tends to mitigate any perceived wobble at speed.

YMMV

The top case can cause some high speed feedback, and I have heard that complaint on all sizes. Filling the space between the rider and the case eliminates that buffeting, so 2-up riders and those with auxiliary tanks often don't experience it. For a long-distance trip get a case you like and fill the space behind you with a duffel or other luggage.

I think the V46 looks better, especially with the color matched top. That being said, the 52 liter doesn't look bad, and has well, 6 more liters of space.

+1 on filling the space behind you. My bike is much more friendly on the highway with even just a simple medium dry-bag on the passenger seat which is generally where my clothes are.

If'n I needed to carry a sleeping bag and tent, I think I'd go with the 52L.

-MD

Dawg, I will be traveling one-up, single person tent, etc. Same recommendation? BTW, I have heard of some riders experiencing higher speed wobble and do not know if larger cases are more prone. Thanks again.
Sorry, I mostly use it 2-up. But like other members have mentioned, buffeting can occur with both types. If it were me I'd still buy the larger one, there is always something else to bring on camping trips. Especially if you bring cooking gear. One thing I forgot to mention is the Add-more lighting available on these are wayyyyyyy better than the Givi lighting. And the luggage rack is useful too. Just remember to pack heavy items down low and light items up high. Good luck and happy trails. :)

I have the E52 on my 09 and I haven't noticed any adverse effects in any riding configuration. I pretty much leave it on all the time - when commuting around town, my 'stich just fits inside.

As others have said, any case will eventually seem too small, so you might as well get the biggest.

Ian

I have a 52L and it is one heck of a grocery hauler. It gets a little top heavy with 3 twelve packs of cola +.

I have never noticed any wobble, but I am not the high speed type (over 95 mph). I rode with it on for three years with only good feelings about it. However, this year I only have it on when needed. It,s sonething about the way the bike looks without it, (sporter?).

Do yourself a favor and make sure you drill a hole thru the case and bracket and secure it with a pin. It will fly off when you hit a pot hole. It happened to me on my first run with it on.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you drill a hole thru the case and bracket and secure it with a pin. It will fly off when you hit a pot hole. It happened to me on my first run with it on.
:eek: ? I have 95k miles on my V46 between two bikes and have never pinned it nor lost it.

Same here. No issues with latching. In one thread somewhere talking about that, I pointed out that if the latch doesn't fit, or is gummed up with road splooge, the spring may not fully extend the catch piece.

The latch is exactly the same kind of thing you see on a room door in your house, angled surface that gets pushed back, then pops out underneath the catch. If it doesn't pop out right, the case won't be secure, and the channel that rides in can get splooged if you ride in the wet a lot.

My E52 stayed attached through two separate crashes, one of which was with it fully loaded.

I too have decided on the v46. Any recommendations on where to purchase? Sport touring.com and twisted throttle both have the best price I've seen. ($245.00). Not counting the mounting plate.

Thanks,

Jay

I prefer the V46NT with the Tech all silver color, (without the baboon's butt giant red reflectors/lights).

Good luck with the V46. I had one for a year and couldn't keep it from falling apart. At the end, both reflector lenses were held on by duct tape. :huh:

I now have a E52 and love it. I recently looked at the E55's. Nice piece, although I found them really flimsy.