Givi v. Shad Topcase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobster

Reaction score
I have an '04 with Yamaha side cases. For the top case I've settled on either the Givi E-52 Maxia or the Shad SH-50.

1. Any comments on either of those two top cases?

2. The Shad distributor couldn't tell me if I needed an adaptor unit to fit the SH-50 to my bike - anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

I like my SH-50 with the Top Master rack very much and I've had the Givi E-52 on another bike. I think the quality is every bit as good as the Givi. I've been told that Shad makes cases for BMW and others and they re-badge them with their company name. I like not having to use the key to open the case but what I don't like is how it bounces around. Had a conversation with another member about it and feel better about its security (see below).

Barry

Did you ever find a sturdy mount for the Shad? I also have the SH50 using a Top Master mount on an 07 FJR and it bounces too much. Just had another guy (thats 2 now) riding behind me and telling me that it's bouncing a lot. Wife rides pillion and I need this thing to be secure. Claudio at Adventuremotousa.com tells me that a little is ok, but I think its more than a little. Any advice?

Barry

Hey Barry!

When I first had someone comment on the 'bouncing' of my Shad50, my first thought was to beef up the support. I did a little research and realized that the existing support is not only OK, but desirable. Think of the Shad mounting system as a shock absorber. The stress of dynamic loading (i.e. - bumps) is absorbed by the mount rather than put into the weaker plastic parts.

I've done thousands of miles with a pillion without issue. In fact the flexibility in the mount was probably a good thing for her too! wink.gif

Cheers,

Jef

Last edited by a moderator:
bobster,

I just, last weekend, mounted the SH-50 on my bike. Installation was without incident, notwithstanding the rudimentary instructions (can you say "You Tube?). I ordered the dedicated FJR mount adapter and in the short time I've had it, have had no problems with it bouncing around. I can't vouch for the Givi, but the build quality on the Shad seems to be outstanding. Very happy with the purchase.

I've got one of each. Well, the Shad is an SH45, not a 50. Anywho, I like how the Shad latches better than the Givi. But the Givi is a monster of a top case. And it's got brake lights! (You can add LEDs to the Shad for extra stoppy lights, but I haven't done that.)

The Shad mounting plate I have is adjustable, so I was able to mount the Shad on the Givi rack. I really do like the rack.

The build quality of each of these seems very good to me. They've both seen several miles and have no defects to speak of.

I've had a an SH-45 for several thousand miles now and have had 0 problems. Well, except for the rubber seal keeps wanting to come out of the channel that makes it waterproof. A minor annoyance I could quickly fix with a couple daps of glue but keep forgetting about it. No one has ever said anything about it bouncing around and whenever I put it on the bike I always push on the side to make sure it's locked in place and it seems very sturdy to me. The wife uses it for a back rest and hasn't complained of it moving either. Definately get the 'topmaster bracket' that bolts to the bike. It replaces the 3 big bolts that hold on the stock rack.

Here ya go. https://www.cycleluggage.com/shad_y0fj31st.html

I have the E52 myself mounted on a SW Motech adapter. The case is enormous and is of high quality. I'm not as thrilled with the adapter as it allows the case to wiggle a bit. However, I simply ground off about 1/4 of an inch of the bottom of the mounting screws which locks the case in tighter. It's now solid as a rock.

I also got the AdMore light kit for it. Running, brake, and turn signal lights. Having them mounted up that high really makes a visibility difference.

+1 for the Shad case. I have been using the SH46 for a few years now and it has survived an unscheduled get-off with no damage to it or the mounting system. I commute with it daily and it has carried my laptop faithfully without leaks or any other problems. The "universal" mounting base supplied with it mounted perfectly to the stock rack of my '04. In fact, the ability of it to mount to the stock rack was one of my key decision factors in choosing it over the Givi.

As for the brake light, I added one for just $6 using an el-cheapo LED strip from fleabay clicky.

I have been very pleased with choice. :D

Here's my 2 cents about Shad (without going into to much detail). I unfortunately owned a Shad SH-40 for my Dual Sport. After a only a month of ownership it developed a crack by the latch. And no the bike was never down with this case installed. When I found the crack I figured no problem, Shad has a 3 year warranty on their products, so I figured they will surely replace it, especially since it's only a month old. WRONG!! After numerous phone calls, pictures and emails, they came up with every BS excuse there was as to why they would not replace it!! The worse part this was coming down from Shad's USA Director and not some peon.

THE BOTTOM LINE..... Don't buy a Shad product because their warranty and product support is a joke. I have never experience such crap from a motorcycle part manufacture in my life.

Finally, I really don't understand why in world would you risk your Company's reputation over a $140 Top Box? Especially with a customer that's very active in the motorcycle community. I'm just saying....

Thanks for listening to my SHAD rant! :)

I have a Shad SH-50 and previously used a Givi V46. The Shad is better in every way. The best thing about it is that you don't have to use a key to open or close it if you don't want to, and it's actually reasonably secure even when unlocked because the way to open it is not obvious. And its size is enormous. I have fit a Schuberth C3 full-face helmet, Frank Thomas textile jacket, gloves, and armored motorcycle overpants all into the topcase at the same time. More typically I omit the pants but add Plexus cleaner, a bottle of Gatorade, and sometimes a fairly bulky camera in its own bag, all together with the helmet, jacket, and gloves. That's when parked of course. When travelling I might have supermarket groceries in it but obviously the V46 works for that too.

I could not fit both the helmet and jacket in the V46 even with nothing else in it.

In addition the painted swappable top cover of the shad covers a lot of space, unlike with some Givi cases, so the color really matters and makes the case look well integrated with the bike if the color matches.

bobster,
I just, last weekend, mounted the SH-50 on my bike. Installation was without incident, notwithstanding the rudimentary instructions (can you say "You Tube?). I ordered the dedicated FJR mount adapter and in the short time I've had it, have had no problems with it bouncing around. I can't vouch for the Givi, but the build quality on the Shad seems to be outstanding. Very happy with the purchase.
Tell me about this "dedicated FJR mount adapter". Is this the Yammi recalled luggage rack that takes the place of the old one? I mounted the Top Master directly to the recalled luggage rack. Is this how you did it?

Barry

I have an '04 with Yamaha side cases. For the top case I've settled on either the Givi E-52 Maxia or the Shad SH-50. 1. Any comments on either of those two top cases?

2. The Shad distributor couldn't tell me if I needed an adaptor unit to fit the SH-50 to my bike - anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
I haven't owned a Givi but I bought the Shad SH-40 Cargo a few months ago with the FJR adaptor plate. I couldn't be more pleased with the value for money; the price was excellent and the design and build quality are top notch. The best prices I found were at SportMotoGear. Shad has an adaptor plate for both the Gen I and Gen II FJRs which was about $60 IIRC.

When the mounting plate (that comes with the case) is attached to the adapter plate, the whole unit is rock solid.

You can also get a set of LED lights that attach to the underside of the mounting plate.. The LEDS are good quality (I have them hooked up to a Back Off modulator) and the best thing about this design is that the lights stay with the mounting plate (and the bike) when you want to ride without the top case. Much better idea I think than putting those little LEDs in the top case itself and having to disconnect wires whenever the top case comes of.

If you decide to get the Shad unit from SportMotoGear, PM me; I have a promo code that might get you free shipping.