Givi V46 top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHADOW RIDER

Reaction score
Just want to let everyone know who may own a Givi V46 top case what happen to me on Saturday. Great day for a ride so a group of us took off to St Jo for a good ride on the way home on 287 I hit a pot hole that was unavoidable and as I went thru it a good hard hit ,my top case flew off the back and bounced down the Hi-way. Thankful that no one was hit behind me.Case was beat up pretty good . The case was locked on the bike before I took off for the day have no idea how this could of happen.

Has anyone else had any problems like this with there Give top case? I sent Givi a letter about it and asked what they intend to due about it will keep everyone posted on what the out come it and what they say.

Stu

I have heard of this happening but not sure if it was the Givi, the Yamaha topcase or both.

I have had the same case on my bike since April of 2005. The only thing it is doing is bouncing up and down more on rides.

I think it needs a rubber or foam spacer to fill the gap between the top of the mounting plate and the bottom of the topcase.

I've heard of it happening, never saw it first hand. I've got many miles on my GIVI 52 and it's always

been secure. I did loc-tite all the screws and I double check that it's locked in ok when I put it back on.

I leave mine off most of the time around town.

Have not had the whole case come off....... but have had the reflective lenses fall off "twice" !!

Givi replaced them each time at No Charge.

I'm not sure how my V46 could come off in anything other than an actual crash.

Mine is solid as a brick. I've never had a concern it would ever coming off. My paranoia lies in triple checking it is latch correctly whenever I take it off (and I do).

Something sounds amiss with your setup or latching mechanism.

Well you just added to my paranoia - if that's possible! I just (5 days ago) put a Give E52 on the Premier Cycle's Rack with their mounting hardware. There are two possible positions and while I was experimenting with them it locked down very definitively. However when I decided on a position and put the 4 little rubber bumpers on the rack it became difficult to 'snap' into the latch. I have been running with it empty just to see but today loaded it with my camera gear for a 100 mile jaunt. It made it back - but I kept looking to see if it was there the whole ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I installed my V46 on the Givi rack, I felt there was a little "play" between the base of the case and the top of the rack, and I could hear it rattle over bumps. Checked and double checked, and it seem solid enough not to fall off, but I still worried a bit.

I got some foam draft excluder, the stuff you use to seal around doors etc., and put a couple of strips of that on the base of the trunk, and it has quitened things down and eliminated the play. It does require a little extra push when placing the trunk on, but gives me so much more peace of mind, and feels much more secure.