Glove Box door rig - My solution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Well last year my glove box button totally fell apart and I never did anything with it as it was the end of the year. While I was installing my new LED lights I figured I'd see what I could do rather then get a whole new box.... Thought I'd share my idea.

I remembered that I had some small neodymium magnets laying around from a speaker/subwoofer build project. These suckers are super strong, very difficult to peel 2 of them apart....

67cffad9-951b-4c01-8b26-11c47bb10e0d.jpg

So I glued the magnet to the underside of the lid with super glue (used a bit too much and made a mess) I lined up the magnet with the allen head screw that was present under the lid. FYI the factory (stainless )screw needs to be replaced with a steel screw as the magnet won't stick to it...

5f242569-b9d4-4439-acfc-c8ce0903d6b6.jpg

Works awesome.... As you can see the magnet is actually the perfect height and fits without making the lid stick up.... I thought I was going to need some washers under the screw, but with the power of the magnet it works just fine.

Magnet literally snaps the lid shut and hold tight....

PJF_0266.jpg

IMG_20140401_065659.jpg

Here is the type of magnets I had laying around....

https://www.parts-express.com/magnetic-grill-guides-0395-dia-x-02-h-8-pcs--329-045

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I did almost the exact same fix to mine about 1-1/2yr ago. I actually like the magnet latch better. The electric controled plastic latch components are a fail anyways. Yamaha could have actually used some metal parts for a lockable storage unit. Oh well. lol