Going shopping tomorrow... Questions!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota_c69

Reaction score
Well I am going shopping tomorrow!!! New FJR, Woo Hoo! Truck sold and downpayment in pocket! My question is....do I get the Yamaha Top box or go to the aftermarket (eg. Givi)?? If the aftermarket, which brand are good, etc? What did you choose and why?? Another question...looking for Shark helmet dealer in Calgary, anyone?

Thanks for the help! This was s'posed to be in FJR specfic forum...sorry!

Glenn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am going shopping tomorrow!!! New FJR, Woo Hoo! Truck sold and downpayment in pocket! My question is....do I get the Yamaha Top box or go to the aftermarket (eg. Givi)?? If the aftermarket, which brand are good, etc? What did you choose and why?? Another question...looking for Shark helmet dealer in Calgary, anyone?
Thanks for the help! This was s'posed to be in FJR specfic forum...sorry!

Glenn.
Are youcarrying a passnger?

The Yamaha top box, if used with the passenger back rest on it, will slide your guest forward further

I don't know if the Givi does the same

I went with the Givi in '06 when mine was new. I have never regreted it.

I got the V46 from Givi. It has worked well. Watertight for many miles and survived a softball-sized hailstorm. Holds plenty. No odd effects over 100 mph (not that I would know officer).

Not the only solution, but one that has worked for me.

paul from Minnesota

Consider the Givi 52. Six more litres of carrying capacity over the 46 yet still looks good on the bike. No need for a backrest if passenger is wearing M/C apparel. Generally, the padding in her jacket is sufficient.

Mark

Givi V46... And whatever helmet fits your head properly

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips so far!

I am actually have a good idea about what helmet to get...I am just trying to find the lightest helmet available for her. We were in a car accident and she was hurt and now has neck issues, so the Shark helmet is the lightest and available in Canada. The BMW Carbon sport Blah Blah Blah is not available here as far as I have heard and it is $2000!!! So I am hunting Sharks. Just need to find who is a dealer in Calgary and area. Going shopping today so hopefully I run in to the Shark dealer, but any help or direction would be nice.

The topbox issue is, I want the best luggage capacity I can get without ruining the look and balance at speed of the bike. My wife likes to take stuff with her... :blink:

Thanks again, this place is such a great resource! :yahoo:

Glenn.

Thanks for the tips so far!
I am actually have a good idea about what helmet to get...I am just trying to find the lightest helmet available for her. We were in a car accident and she was hurt and now has neck issues, so the Shark helmet is the lightest and available in Canada. The BMW Carbon sport Blah Blah Blah is not available here as far as I have heard and it is $2000!!! So I am hunting Sharks. Just need to find who is a dealer in Calgary and area. Going shopping today so hopefully I run in to the Shark dealer, but any help or direction would be nice.

The topbox issue is, I want the best luggage capacity I can get without ruining the look and balance at speed of the bike. My wife likes to take stuff with her... :blink:

Thanks again, this place is such a great resource! :yahoo:

Glenn.
I won't argue whether the stock or Givi box looks better because that's a personal thing. But I can tell you that the Givi is much cheaper to buy and it holds more stuff. I have the stock Yamaha box because I don't need the capacity and I think it looks better.

There are plenty of topcase choices out there, not just the Givi and factory. Hepco Becker, Shad, Coocase, and others that I haven't thought of. I went with the Shad SH-48. There are color plates available for it, I just got the black one. Total price for the case, mounting bracket for the FJR, brakelight kit, and passenger pad was a little bit shy of $300! I don't think that price is still available, but the Shad is cheaper and the build quality is fine.

I don't think the passenger pad was necessary, the padding in the back of the passengers coat seems to do just as well.

Take ur time and research top boxes b4 u buy. No hurry, right?

BTW, I personally believe a top box ruins the looks of the fjr, but on long journeys, its abt the ride and fellowship and not the bling. - I always use bags for packing stuff, but again that's just me. Enjoy ur new ride.

Everyone is going to have their own preference when it comes to top cases..so here is my 0.02

I looked at the Yamaha top case since it would match the shiny black of my FJ, but didn't like the shape or capacity,

I decided to keep my old Givi E46 top case from 9 years ago since it has a large capacity, is VERY durable still looks good, and is solid.

There are other good case makers, Shad makes a good case as well, but I am partial to Givi since i've always had good experiences with them.

Just my 0.02

Check this thread out. I went with the same setup as in the picture in the 2nd post and have been very pleased with it (Givi E52 with Givi SR357 mount). I also added the Admore lighting kit which really lights the back of the bike up. The Givi mount is very sturdy.