Good Mechanic in Portland, OR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kph

Reaction score
I have to admit I am mechanically challenged. If I touch it - it breaks. Does anybody know a good motorcycle shop in Portland familiar with FJR's? I would like basic maintenance as well as adding components (heated grips come to mind right now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

We all suffer from not having the best mechanic at hand. Last year 5 of us took our FJRs to Powers Yamaha in Salem/Sublimity to get valve jobs. They gave us a nice deal. I would take it back there now as my original service center closed (Action in Vancouver, then Action in Gresham). Other then those guys, I haven't tried any others. I do most all the work myself except the valve adjustments, but when I do the valves, I usually add other things to the work list, like brake lines, coolant, etc.

Come to Busters today at 4-5pm for BBQ and meet others that maybe able to give you more guidance.

If you haven't watched it yet, look for Portlandia on IFC Friday nights. Weirdly bent, but hilarious!

I kind of hate to think about what the mechanics there are like, based on the show. One of you Portlanders let me know if it's accurate, would'ja? Is it really a place where young people go to retire? :lol:

3 - 4. It all works, The Seattle crew will be in a bit early, since they have a road trip back but most will show up in the 3-4 range.

See you all there. Yes, Mike Cardenas said he would turn up around 3:30 and would be happy to talk FJR (or other bikes for that matter) to everyone. He is a superb mechanic.

Ralph

Thanks for inviting Mike to join us, Ralph. Sounds like he is a stand-up guy that does quality work and is Yamaha factory certified. A good wrench is hard to find...too bad he's so far away for the Seattle crew.

--G

3 - 4. It all works, The Seattle crew will be in a bit early, since they have a road trip back but most will show up in the 3-4 range.

See you all there. Yes, Mike Cardenas said he would turn up around 3:30 and would be happy to talk FJR (or other bikes for that matter) to everyone. He is a superb mechanic.

Ralph
Ralph,

Thanks for the invite yesterday and the introduction to the group and Mike C.

- Kevin