good or bad idea on throttle return spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyro

Reaction score
I was thinking of using my throttle lock to hold the throttle wide open over night to stretch out the spring instead of one uncoil.

I hear you can put the bike on the centerstand, put it in reverse and take all those miles off.... ;)

Just unwind the spring, or get a throttle lock, or both.

A preview of the future of this thread, perhaps? -->

Someone will be along shortly to debate the number of cycles it takes the metal to fatigue enough to give a noticeable difference.

Someone else will then counter that argument and throw in 'and I'm a mechanical engineer and work at Widget Throttle Springs who makes springs for the FJR' -- whereupon a 3rd person will argue that person 2 does not, in fact, work there, because his brothers cousins gerontologist told him the springs are made in Alaska by armored bears with bad dispositions.

The discussion will then move to SkooterG, who will proclaim that after 4 million miles, his throttle spring is just like new. Many will chime in with 'wow, that's alot of miles'

BustANut Joker will then add to the discussion with a comment resembling english, with mostly expletives and proclaim how gay everyone is.

And finally, Warchild will move the thread to NEPRT and probably change the title of the post to 'throttle spring/what do i do'

I was thinking of using my throttle lock to hold the throttle wide open over night to stretch out the spring instead of one uncoil.
Springs do not weaken from static loads. One would have to cycle it repeatedly to weaken it. There have been .45 auto magazines that have been loaded since WWII that still maintain their spring tension.

Springs do not weaken from static loads. One would have to cycle it repeatedly to weaken it. There have been .45 auto magazines that have been loaded since WWII that still maintain their spring tension.
That is interesting as I thought static loads did weaken spring tension. I thought it was common practice on cars with high lift cams that during long periods of storage rocker arms would be loosened or the engine would be turned every so often (while using a drill and distributor shaft to get oil pressure) or with the benefit of an external prelube pump to prevent spring fatigue on the valves that stay open. Is this a proven fact or is it possible that sufficient spring tension was present even after fatigue to still push bullets into the chamber.

I hear you can put the bike on the centerstand, put it in reverse and take all those miles off.... ;)
Just unwind the spring, or get a throttle lock, or both.

A preview of the future of this thread, perhaps? -->

Someone will be along shortly to debate the number of cycles it takes the metal to fatigue enough to give a noticeable difference.

Someone else will then counter that argument and throw in 'and I'm a mechanical engineer and work at Widget Throttle Springs who makes springs for the FJR' -- whereupon a 3rd person will argue that person 2 does not, in fact, work there, because his brothers cousins gerontologist told him the springs are made in Alaska by armored bears with bad dispositions.

The discussion will then move to SkooterG, who will proclaim that after 4 million miles, his throttle spring is just like new. Many will chime in with 'wow, that's alot of miles'

BustANut Joker will then add to the discussion with a comment resembling english, with mostly expletives and proclaim how gay everyone is.

And finally, Warchild will move the thread to NEPRT and probably change the title of the post to 'throttle spring/what do i do'

And by the way, I thought this was VERY funny.

That is interesting as I thought static loads did weaken spring tension. I thought it was common practice on cars with high lift cams that during long periods of storage rocker arms would be loosened or the engine would be turned every so often (while using a drill and distributor shaft to get oil pressure) or with the benefit of an external prelube pump to prevent spring fatigue on the valves that stay open. Is this a proven fact or is it possible that sufficient spring tension was present even after fatigue to still push bullets into the chamber.
I would think that as long as the spring material's (say steel) elasticity isn't exceeded, and the material doesn't rot away (rust) it would last for quite a long time.

I would venture to guess that today's spring material is pretty tough stuff.

As far as the car goes, maybe that is old procedure or possibly there is concern for the valve or cylinder itself.

Just guessing.