Gopro Hero HD mounting ON the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Useless Pickles did a great write up on the new HD kit click, in which he showed some pretty good-looking footage - he had it mounted on top of his helmet.

With my old gopro non-HD wide angle kit, mounting on the bike gave good results, since "wide angle" inherently compensates for vibration. Problem is, wide angle also straightens-out the scenery (and the road, onscreen) to the point the videos are pretty lame to watch

With the new HD kit, recording in 1920*1080 results in night / day difference in image quality and it's not wide angle so the road looks nice & curvy. Problem is: no more wide angle = visibly shaky footage.

When I mount it to my brain-bucket, no more shake, obviously and a GREAT image quality. The compromise: since proper-riding means keeping your head more or less horizontal, relative to the ground, helmet-mounting takes some of the fun out of the footage

So... has anyone had any good results, mounting the camera to the bike? It comes with all kinds of mounting gear but I'm starting to think the only way to use the HD hero is as a helmet cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you don't have it mounted solid? I have the Racing 905 crash bars, and got a tube mount to go directly on that. The camera points forward and gets some reflection of the side of the road in the fairing, kinda cool. You can see the front suspension working up and down, but it doesn't seem to translate into shaky video midway on the bike, either 720p or 1080p. That doesn't mean I don't get the odd shake on a hard bump, but in general my video seems good. Now if I can just work this editing software.............

I haven't tried mounting the new HD Hero on my bike yet, but I had good results with the old GoPro Hero by using the suction cup mount on both the gas tank and the fairing (to get that low angle with the front wheel in view).

I haven't tried mounting the new HD Hero on my bike yet, but I had good results with the old GoPro Hero by using the suction cup mount on both the gas tank and the fairing (to get that low angle with the front wheel in view).
same here, I had GREAT results with the non HD wide angle hero too. But the same mounting options using the HD version (non wide angle, to get an accurate perspective on a twisty road) is frustrating, given the image quality VS image shake.

Tomorrow morning, I'm heading out to ride the Cabot trail in Nova Scotia so this time around, the hero will be used in helmet cam mode, which should produce some good watching, even if it's not close to the ground, watching the front end get a workout.

Merci beaucoup monsieur Pickles

André in Montréal