gopro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imp

Reaction score
My wife got me a go pro for my 50th birthday :) , it it something that I wanted for some time but was too cheap to buy . The question is where do I mount it. I have seen several very nice movies in this forum. It appears that some are mounted on the side cowling and some on the helmet. The go pro came with 2 self adhesive bases so I think I have to choose carefully .

I have two locations that I have used. I used the curved mount on the top of my helmet which works pretty good. I have T-Rex frame sliders on my 2013 which have almost the same gentle curve as a helmet and was able to used the curved mount on top of the left frame slider. It gives a really cool perspective both forward and back because you get the have the steady reference of the bike on one side of the video. Works for me.

I have three mounting locations.

I have a chest mount, a clamp to mount it to the dash, and then use an adjustable arm (with the aforementioned clamp) to attach it to the pillion position.

I taped into the frame slider and put a Ram mount ball, now I have Canyon Cage, FYI the helmet mount makes bad location for videos if you head check a lot you will need to do a lot of editing, it does make a great location for a series of still shots for those times you want to captures stills and can't stop, just set it for # of frames per seconds and use the remote, kind of like a "Point & Shoot" there's endless location for different shots to make your video interesting to view, just watch different videos and that will give you ideas on mounting location. Have fun with your new GoPro.

Take a look at the GoPro website....they have a lot of different mounts available. I currently use the helmet mount with a non-GoPro competitor, and I like that location for the quad videos I've shot best. I did have my camera mounted on the Super Tenere, but the vibes in the bars made for very poor audio. I am ordering a GoPro here shortly, and can report back on different locations.

Oh, and Best Buy (and other vendors) carries the kit that has several curved and flat surface stick on mounts for about $19...

Dont forget you can buy extra sticky mounts for about a buck each($5- 5pack). Experiment with many mount locations. Thats the fun of the GoPro!

I've found mounting to the left side of your helmet works best and produces the smoothest video. Mounting to the bike itself caused the video to be "shaky" in my experience all though using ram mounts (due to the rubber ball maybe?) helps reduce this a bit.

I grabbed the suction cup mount, $40. I stick it right above the headlights and it holds up quite well. For a little while, I put a zip tie tether but it was never needed. Makes it quite versatile if you have the remote control, which I think is worth it.

pdp_image2x_SuctionCup_1.jpg

https://gopro.com/camera-mounts/suction-cup

I have a suction cup too, but it doesn't look like the one above--guess they've improved it (mine's a couple years old). The only good mounting spot I could find for it was low on the fairing. Not many very flat surfaces on an FJR. I always had a para cord leash for it. Couldn't bring myself to trust the rubber cup.

My favorite vids that I took used the top-of-helmet mount. I have a Shoei Multitec (modular) but I was able to mount it far enough back on the top of the helmet that the chin bar missed it when it swung up. The view changes when you turn your head, of course, but it also allows you to show great views that a fixed camera would just miss. In my link, you'll see some times I turned my head to show the view as much as I could (watching the road out of the corner of my eyes).

I've also used a ram ball on the handlebar and an extended ram ball mount from the center--behind the ignition key. They work ok, but the fixed position gives no variety in your shots. Here's one from our Alps tour a couple years ago. Sorry about the apparition at the very end (in the blue jacket). Beemerdons.

I installed a ram mount on the left handle bar, empty mirror thread.

Used a ram extension and fixed a ram ball mount on the bottom of the case.

It is a little more flexible than a fixed position by loosening and rotating, and I didn't find the vibration too bad.

Today I took my first Video. I put a sticky on top of the helmet. I downloaded the video and it looks choppy ? I have a MacBook Pro with 8G of RAM , what am doing wrong?. The GoPro is a the Hero3 black edition.

Today I took my first Video. I put a sticky on top of the helmet. I downloaded the video and it looks choppy ? I have a MacBook Pro with 8G of RAM , what am doing wrong?. The GoPro is a the Hero3 black edition.
Post it up on youtube, and link it here, so we can take a look at it...