Got my Braking STX rotors installed...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Ok! Finally got around to putting them on...good thing too, the Carbonne Lorraine pads were about down to the backing plates in about 10k miles!(Never again! I'm sticking with oem pads!)

1120506077_photobucket_77896_.jpg

Looking good!....but...I bedded them in with a series of 10 'stops' from about 55 to 20 mph, then rode for about 5 minutes to let them cool, then another series of 10 'stops' from maybe 65-70 down to 20, rode another 5 to minutes for cooling(and to get home!), then parked it for the nite. They felt fine and had as much if not more stopping power than the stockers, but when I looked at them the next day...

1120506077_photobucket_77897_.jpg

Notice the copper/brownish color around the edges of pad contact? Crap! Did I get too carried away bedding in the pads?! I did some research and took a Scotchbrite pad to the rotors and pads to remove any glaze. The copper color came off the rotor(only the left one discolored) so I thought all was well. Not. The next day the color returned and I've noticed a slight shudder from the front brakes at about 10 mph under light braking. They seem fine other than that. The scorched looking color kinda freaks me out though. What do you guys think? I've never had a problem like this before. Oh, one more thing, I didn't weigh the new discs, but did compare them to the oem's I removed and the STX's are quite a bit lighter. The bike takes NO effort to turn now, it feels almost like my old 954! One more pic

1120506077_photobucket_78688_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look nice, but after my experience with the fancy EBC rotors with the SD drive..., I'm going back to the OEMs the next time around. Oh and the EBC rotors look worse and more worn in about 30k than the OEMs did after 90k. My EBC rotors also get discolored anytime I really use the brakes and after a series of twisties ridden at a respectable pace they are bluish/black and really hot. The OEMs didn't get that bad...

Just a semi-educated guess here, but you have considerably less surface area in those rotors to be swept by the pads. It requires the same amount of braking power (ie work) to stop the bike as before, which means the pads are going to have to grab the reduced surface area even harder than the stock ones. Also less mass in the rotor to absorb and dissipate the heat that will be generated is probably at work here too.

Should have stuck to OEM! When are you going to learn?

Same amount of heat generated, a lot less rotor mass to absorb that heat means those rotors are going to get hotter than OEM. Though with all the holes they should cool faster.

Some folks just have to learn the hard way. :p

Should have stuck to OEM! When are you going to learn?

Same amount of heat generated, a lot less rotor mass to absorb that heat means those rotors are going to get hotter than OEM. Though with all the holes they should cool faster.

Some folks just have to learn the hard way. :p
Somehow I knew you'd be along to give me a jab! :D I'm guessing only the left one discolored due to all the pistons being used when only the front brake is applied, although I did use the back brake too when bedding them in. I'm just assuming you get more force applied from the left caliper? I dunno. Soooo, you guys wouldn't worry about it?

That's what I get for bargain shopping...the beotch is I saw a set of low milage oem's on fleabay for even cheaper than I got these a few days later! Patience Weed-hopper!

Here's a couple of pics I just snapped after riding back from lunch.

rotorleft.jpg

Left side.

rotorright.jpg

Right side. I did a couple of moderately hard stops. It looks like the right rotor is starting to get discolored too. I guess it's normal...now to see if the new pads will last as long as they did with oem rotors.

Just a semi-educated guess here, but you have considerably less surface area in those rotors to be swept by the pads. It requires the same amount of braking power (ie work) to stop the bike as before, which means the pads are going to have to grab the reduced surface area even harder than the stock ones. Also less mass in the rotor to absorb and dissipate the heat that will be generated is probably at work here too.
+1

Much less surface area on those rotors leaves much less for the pads to grab into, less area for heat to dissipate ect. ect.

They look nice though.. :unsure:

As usual Fred nailed it. ;)

Ok, so nothing to worry about then? I didn't overheat them or anything? I haven't seen anybody else with wave rotors to compare with.