Got my GPS mounted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1

Reaction score
Got a new ram mount in for my gps. Since my new truck has gps built in my old nuvi only gets used while travelling and rented a car. Figured I might as well use it on my fjr. Saw the way it had been mounted on another bike so I copied it. Took the windshield off and using goop plus rivets I mounted it up. Perfect spot I think. With the bigger and tinted windshield it is covered and not very visible vs the handlebar mounts. Next to come is my russell and mv risers then the bike should be could to put on the miles. I have only put on 3000 kms since last august, but I do ride my KTM on the street too.

10418243_10152128638196806_2494027533141461370_n.jpg

Need another pic of that mount. Can't see where/how ya mounted it. I'm hunching you mounted it to the top of the plastic just above the gauges? Could ya post up another pic or two?

Gary

darksider #44

I see the RAM arm coming horizonatally off the fairing plastic between the speedo and windshield. Looks like a good spot for visibility, but can it be undone? Mine is on the RamBone and is above the center of the steering stem when I view it. Works pretty good, but I can see some advantages to a higher mount point.

Once you have a chance to use it, you might find a sun-shield will help. Oh, yeah....tool chest and bike lift envy here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I mounted it on the top dash panel. There isn't much room between the panel and the gauge pack underneath it so I used rivets. And just for extra strength and to seal the holes I used Marine strength Goop. I'll take some more pics tomorrow. Someone else did the same thing which gave me the idea to copy it. If I ever sell the bike the ball mount will go with it and I will keep the rest. It is very solid. I don't think I will have too many issues with sun but if need be I can make a shield easy enough. The dark tint in the windshield will help too.

As for the tool boxes I actually have two with lockers in the garage. That is my cheap set up for home. You should see my snap on one for work if you like these lol. They are from costco and were only 650 for the top,bottom and side locker. So for 1300 it is a great deal.

That looks like a rifle or similar screen. Would it fit under a stock screen?? Just curious.

Worney

It should. The windshield is a cee bailys. The centre part of the windshield is the same as stock. It isn't until the top and sides that it differs. I'll see if I can find a link to the other guys bike that did it first.

Rode today for 200 kms. The gps mounted there works well. Bounces around the same as the windshield but is firmly planted. Just need my cable now. Had to rig up the cig lighter one so it would charge. The sun isn't an issue. It was a little tough to see it at 8 am this morning when the sun was behind me but I could move my head over a bit and see it fine. Glad I mounted it there and would do it again.