Got my new AE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
I also posted this thread in another FJR forum but thought I'd put it here as well

Allright, so I've been in the market for a new bike pretty much all year to replace the CBR1100XX that has been very good to me since I bought it new in 2002 and put 60,000 touring miles on it.

Although the handling and power was excellent, I always felt like something was missing in the touring department and I wasn't using the right tool for the job. I was however, in my 20's and have no regrets. So now at age 35 I started looking at many bikes from the Multistrada 1200 to the 1200RT, to the FJR.

After test riding a C14, 1200RT, Tiger 1050, VFR1200, Multi 1200, FJR/A, I was about to go for the 1200RT, until I rented an '06. They are excellent bikes but that boxer is just plain silly. It's a paint shaker and wobbles the entire bike below 2500prm, is smooth as silk from 3000-4000, then vibrates too much above that. The sweet spot is sweet but far too narrow and doesn't suite my style whatsoever. Taking off from stop lights just feels like work. The power assisted brakes are also the worst implementation of motorcycle technology I have ever sampled. Overall dropping 22,000 for one + $800 for their tankbag is not money well spent. I did however like having an adjustable screen, shaft drive, hard bags, lots of weather protection, an upright seating position and gear indicator (never had one before)

I really like the Tiger but they are being discontinued and dealers are asking full MSRP +fees for them and what do you get? Not a lot of bike for the money. Then the VFR1200 manual and let me tell you what a turd on wheel that thing is No range, sloppy drivetrain, terrible suspension, the fueling was really bad, handled like a slug and would need every upgrade there is to tour on, not to mention ultra expensive and fugly. Did have one of the best motors I've ever ridden though! Then I rode the Multi 1200 and what a riot those things are! I do feel they are a complete hooligan bike and would eject the liscence from my wallet faster than it can wheelie. Also, along with the Triumph questional reliability and not a workhorse like what I was looking for.

So once the RT and others were crossed off my list, I knew what I wanted and didn't want, so it was down to the C14 and FJR but that C14 is just massive looking and depends on far too many electronics to function. Just that stupid FOB alone was enough for me to look the other way. So the trusty FJR was suddenly a major player. I test rode one a few months ago and to be honest I was not blow away but it just just a jaunt up a busy freeway, with old tires and a stock screen so that's not going to tell you anything about any bike. I think at that point I was getting fed up and couldn't figure out what I wanted. It was still on my list though.

Many years ago I was intrigued by the AE version but being young and stupid, dismissed it after reading a few unfair magazine reviews it recieved. I have always disliked shifting bikes, I guess I'm not very good at it and it's fine for a sportbike or dualsport but just becomes a pain when on tour. When I started looking at Cycle Trader I discovered there were actually brand new '09 AE's avalable!!! The FJR would have been good enough but the auto-clutch was extremely appealing to me. I went to test ride one and after some major mental adjustments and taking off like a total squid, once I clicked that very first time from first to second, I was hooked and knew I was going to be getting one. I thought about buying the one I test rode or a used one but I always buy my touring bikes brand new and for $11,500 + tax I couldn't resist.

The closest one to me was Omaha, Nebraska about 600 miles away. There are actually several left at a dealer in WI, but I didn't want to pay to have it shipped and buy it without seeing it forst. I posted a thread on advrider.com and offered a $50 gift card to anyone thaty would go check out the bike and dealership in Nebraska. A few days later a very nice guy reported everything I needed to know and took lots of pictures. So I told them I would buy it and I'd be out to get it in a few days.

My Dad who stopped riding at age 62 having never layed a street bike down in all his years (since he was 15) decided to cash in his chips and sold off his ST13 and Goldwing last year. Anyway, he borrowed a trailer from a friend, hooked it up to his SUV and we left at 4:30am, arrived at the dealer around 2:00pm. I dropped off the cashiers check, loaded up the bike and we were out of there in less than an hour. I didn't particularily feel like staying in a motel so I offered to drive the whole way back, so the bike was in my garage by 10:45pm that night, my Dad drove off and that was that. Good times with my dad, I only wish he would still ride with me.

The bike is immaculate but does have a few nicks, I'd imagine it's been out of the crate for a while now. The glove box is broken but the dealer bought a new one and should send it to me in about a week. How tough will that be to put in?

Overall the bike is stunning. The paint is beautiful and the contrasting metallic silver even more so. The rear rack, wheels and lower subframe fairing is just gorgeous. I don't want to cover up the tank so I guess I'll be doing some sort of clear bra on it.

A few questions, there are soft bags inside the cases, are those standard or did they give me the water proof ones everyone says you have to have? Also that radiator guard looks excellent, is it effective? I was thinking a fenda extenda would finish the job.

I'll post more when I ride it this week, I want to get some cool break-in weather and get the electronics totally figured out before I take it out into traffic. my camera sucks but you all know how nice looking they are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Auron and welcome to the world of AEism, aren't they just great looking? You're gonna love it,I know I do.

I didn't get soft liners with my pre owned bike but I believe they are standard and should come with all new bikes although it seems they don't always.

Can't comment on fitting your replacement glove box but you prob know there are loads of helpful guys here you will soon hear from with advice.

Just got an extender myself and once my new fender arrives on it will go, a good idea I think.

Have a great time getting to know her and give us your thoughts.

Ride safe

I'm actually thinking about selling the glovebox and pocketing the install money they reimbursed me for. I don't like the idea of not getting in there when I want so I may just velcro it.

Congrats on the new bike. Regarding the radiator guard, I think you'll find after market guards use a much finer mesh. They are cheap insurance considering the cost of replacing a holed radiator. The stock guard is good for protecting fins. Compare:

13154_lg.jpg

I'm actually thinking about selling the glovebox and pocketing the install money they reimbursed me for. I don't like the idea of not getting in there when I want so I may just velcro it.
Glovebox is pretty straight forward. I've only had it out when all the plastic was off. The first time I did that it did take a bit of time.

When you say "not getting in there when I want" do you mean because the key has to be in the ON position? If you don't like that you can disable the electronic lock. I prefer it that way. What I love about that box is that it is relatively secure and totally rainproof. I like having a confident place to put the iPhone, etc.

I didn't worry about the radiator much unless this spring when I saw some dirt roads and a bunch of gravel. Wow what a mess. FendaExtenda made a big difference. Enjoy the new ride.

Congrats on the bike! You'll get many many happy miles out of her! :D

A few questions, there are soft bags inside the cases, are those standard or did they give me the water proof ones everyone says you have to have? Also that radiator guard looks excellent, is it effective? I was thinking a fenda extenda would finish the job.
The bags usually come with the bike, although some apparently seem to get lost between the crate and the customer, and they don't need to be waterproof...I've never had a drop of water enter the side cases when they're closed properly.

I'm Happy for you Auron!! :clapping: You now have a Most Excellent Machine to play with. It'll be the Best Bike you've ever had! Congrats and Enjoy it.

We will be here to answer the next Thousand Questions you're about to ask! :yahoo:

Congrats! It's a LOT of bike for the money. I've passed many, many RT's on the road, and I don't mean "crossed paths with" I mean PASSED and I always grin in my helmet knowing my bike cost half as much and is twice as reliable--and a lot faster!

To really appreciate the bike, load up the bags and ride the wheels off it for a few days.

Also the comment "I've never had a drop of water enter the side cases when they're closed properly" is true. Not only are they waterproof, one of mine seals so good it's air-pressure proof. Came down a long pass from elevation at NAFO and took two of us pulling on it because it was suctioned shut from the pressure change! No way is water getting in there.

I'll post more when I ride it this week, I want to get some cool break-in weather and get the electronics totally figured out before I take it out into traffic. my camera sucks but you all know how nice looking they are!
The soft bags are included your side of the Atlantic, but not my side
mad.gif
. The inner bags are not waterproof, but the sidecases themselves are.

You don't need to figure the electronics to ride it, all you need is the speedometer to try to save your licence.

I've used a fenda extenda on both my FJRs, well worth it.

Has anybody mentioned sliders? The most vital accessory, and should be the first fitted.

Yea, gotta do the sliders. This thing is too good looking to throw on something ugly, does anyone make an asthetically pleasing slider? I remember seeing one that looked like a fin or a wing that was pretty nice.

The thermometer is very important. That way when you are riding home from work and think "Damn it's hot!" you can look down and confirm your suspicions when it reads 108F. :D

The thermometer is very important. That way when you are riding home from work and think "Damn it's hot!" you can look down and confirm your suspicions when it reads 108F. :D
Personally, I would NEVER trust a thermometer whose temperature sensor was about 6 inches away from a radiator.

Yea, gotta do the sliders. This thing is too good looking to throw on something ugly, does anyone make an asthetically pleasing slider? I remember seeing one that looked like a fin or a wing that was pretty nice.
That's the Slider that's built into the Honda ST. Looks nice but, then you'll have to ride an ST. NOT WORTH THE PRETTY FIN!! :lol:

Personally, I would NEVER trust a thermometer whose temperature sensor was about 6 inches away from a radiator.
You're Right Howie but, it reads true once you get rolling again! I've walked into a convenience store at 85 degrees and 5 minutes later got back on the bike and it says 104. :blink:

Yea, I've only noticed that it's accurate while moving. But it does tend to match the signs at the local banks.