Got XOG? - GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt bikr

Reaction score
I just bought a Lowrance XOG GPS. They call it a crossover...road, or downloadable marine and topo maps. Its a very compact, glove friendly (havent tried this yet), splash proof to IPX4, touch screen (3.5") GPS with voice and MP3. No bluetooth hands free calling or intercom, just the basics. It has intuitive menus and with either downloadable (satellite and aerial imagery) or other more detailed maps available on SD cards. It comes pre loaded with US and Canadian road maps that should do the job. It seems to have useable POI's, though I've read it has fewer than other units. Battery life is reported to be only about 2 hours, though with it plugged into bike power it shouldnt be a problem. It comes with a windshield type suction cup mount that I thought I'd try sticking to the tank forward of the gas cap, (anyone tried this?) until I order a Ram mount of some kind.

My impressions so far: This thing kicks ass on my 12 year old Eagle handheld, and for about the same price. Weird...no buttons except for power, and with a color screen. It talks! What'l they think of next? I may want to come up with a speaker hard wired to my helmet. (wireless would be nice!) I'll try it out this weekend as it looks like spring might finally be here. Worth trying for the price, IMO.

Here is an interesting video review from a bike rider on Youtube.

I found this on sale at Cabellas for $149, was normally $299. I also see that Ebay has a Buy It Now price of $139, free shipping.

I didnt intend to buy a GPS this year, but for the price and (weatherproof) features, I couldnt pass it up. This should hold me over untill I get a Zumo or Rider 2 (or 3), while maintaining domestic tranquility.

Latest posts