Gotta fix it now-lost low beam headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phugedaboudet

Reaction score
found out on my midnight ride back home from The City that I lost low-beams on both headlights. Since the FJR takes a standard auto H4, is going to the auto parts store to get emergency replacements just ghetto or is there any safety issues to be concerned of?

because I'm practically broke and can't afford stealership Yamaha approved bulbs, and since the FJR *is* my car, putting it off is not an option either.

Spending $60-ish for bulbs that are in stock tonight is a better deal than spending $80 or more for bulbs that they won't have for a few days, and the auto parts store is open when I get off work as opposed to closing before I get out so I have to lose time.

Am I gonna burn in a fire or just go to hell for this blasphemy?

Notice how it doesn't say H4-M for motorcycle? Any H4 from any parts store is just fine.

I appreciate the help just wanted to make sure there weren't vibration issues or somesuch before spending money I don't actually have. :)

Dude...AutoZone or Napa. Your choice. Hell, even Walmart or Target may have good ones at a better cost. This is one of the really cool things about this bike.

Dude...AutoZone or Napa. Your choice. Hell, even Walmart or Target may have good ones at a better cost. This is one of the really cool things about this bike.

I can't believe you would give such dangerous advice dickweed.. None of the joints U mentioned sells murdercycles.

Poor dude is going to get all fuked up with non specific parts.

I hope you sleep well knowing this.

I can't believe you would give such dangerous advice dickweed.. None of the joints U mentioned sells murdercycles.

Poor dude is going to get all fuked up with non specific parts.

I hope you sleep well knowing this.
I don't sleep shitferbrains...I work graveyards. While your candy ass is sleeping I'm fixing mostly unfixable problems. Well, that and payroll...

here I was feelin unloved cuz Busta hadn't chimed in. Now life is good. :)

Except installing these phukkin bulbs is hard, that stupid rubber boot doesn't want to go on without a fight.

I hear there is a "hard" side and and "easy" side. I pray the battery side was the hard one.

I hear there is a "hard" side and and "easy" side. I pray the battery side was the hard one.
That is true......and your prayer will be answered affirmatively. And, if it means anything, subsequent changes get even easier. The last one I did was 15 minutes for both including the boots.....far better than when I first tried in Zuzax, New Mexico at 3 a.m.

If you coat the inside lip of the boots with a very little bit of silicon grease, they go back on much easier and all subsequent changes will be easier too.

"I lost low-beams on both headlights."

If that happened at the same time, I'm wondering if it's actually the bulbs? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed one was down and the second went a week later. Might have been sooner but I hadn't ridden at night in the interim. Stock bulbs that've been in there for 30K miles. New bulbs did the trick.

these new bulbs are slightly different-they don't stick out as far into the reflector. The distance between the three-winged flange and the metal shoulder of where the bulb sits is approx. 1/3 shorter. I only had one installed for testing last week at night so it seemed okay, got the second one put in last night but didn't get to ride after dark.

they have a different light pattern, with a very abrupt cut-off at the top, that then illuminates the rest of the pattern downward. On high beam it fills the upper part of the pattern. they'll get a good workout doing the midnight run between San Francisco and San Jose on Sunday.

at least I got 'em in, and levelled. They work a lot better installed than sitting in the package. :)

"I lost low-beams on both headlights."

If that happened at the same time, I'm wondering if it's actually the bulbs? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: