GP Suspensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmotion

Reaction score
Looks like I missed out on a great GB. Remembering the GB we had in 2005 I contacted Wilber USA to place an order for my 2006 FJR-AE. In hind sight I decided to check the forums to see what's new in the suspension department. Well after catching up on a lot of reading I decided to cancel my order with Klaus and go with Penske instead. Warchild if your listening I'd like to have the contact names and phone numbers for GP Suspensions (well I have the number). Since I live in PA I was wondering if I would be better served to take a ride to Reading and visit the Penske office. I'm concerned about the issue with the valve lever for the OEM suspension setup. I'm wondering how you folks with the FJR-AE's made out and if the Triple adjustable setup (8987) is worth the extra duckets of the double adjustable units(8981). I'm not a do-it-yourselfer so a ride to Oregon to get my bike worked on just isn't practical. Wilbers USA is easier to get to for me in that regard. I'll check with Penske to see if they do installs at their location. The GP Suspensionsfront fork rebuild appears to be something unique that they cutomize for your individual application.

I'd appreciate any guidance I can get to make the GB setup come to life after the fact.

Contact Dave Hodges @ GP Suspension, 503-723-7793, Fax 503-723-7996. Shipping address: 414 Beavercreek Rd, Ste. 708, Oregon City, OR 97045

e-mail - GP Suspension

Dave is the president, chief bottle washer and often the guy tearing apart or putting together your stuff.

The OEM "Hard/Soft" lever is not a valve lever. All it does is lock out one of the two springs in the shock, increasing preload in the process. If you want to continue to have a range you can adjust through, you will want one of the hydraulically adjustable pre-load options.

Swapping the rear shock isn't rocket science, but sure, not everyone wants to do it themselves. Do you have a local shop you trust/like/prefer? If so, go chat with them about the cost to R&R your shock, installing the aftermarket shock of your choice. Or, make a new FJR friend and provide some after wrenching beer for him to do to your bike what he may have already done to his own.

Penske doesn't sell a FJR ready shock, as I recall, the distributors order basic stuff and set it up locally to sell to their customers. Not sure going to Reading to visit Penske will be helpful, but a phone call can't hurt to verify info.

When you speak to GP you will need to know your weight in gear, the weight of your pillion, (if so equipped), and any other items like fuel cells, normal luggage load, etc that you want factored in to your spring weight choice.

HTH.

G,motions: I will let you know what the penske 8941 shock is like, I am going to get mine done on june 11. I am doing a ride in appointment and continuing on from there on some more riding.

Of course I live in California so it is not to far.

NOt trying to change your mind about a penske but since you live on the east side why dont you take a look at TRAXXION shocks they are equal to a penske. Also there is a shop in your area you can ride to which would be much closer for you if any problems. On this forum traxxion shocks have been spoken of highly. good luck weekend rider :) :D

What Kraus was going to sell me is the HyperPro 460 with remote adjuster. I was going to get the HyperPro progressive spring replacements for the front forks with them. I'm not certain that the unhappy custormers of the Wilber shocks from the GB were done misjustice buy the manufacturer by giving some guys underated springs or if the problem came from Wilber USA in ordering the equiptment. Even though HyperPro has been around for quite some time I never heard too much about their usage until recently. Traxxion is about a 12 hour ride from me. I can just as well get the shocks from GPSuspensions if I get a better deal from them. I kinda like the custom bracket/holder they have for the Penske reservoir. I could probably just have my local Yamaha dealer do the actual install. If I opt for the total custom front fork rebuild there could be a problem tearing the front end down and then having to send it out and wait for them to come back if GPSuspensions are the only game around for the custom valving etc. For those who ordered the Penske shocks from the GB did anyone get the triple adjuster model and if so how do you like them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not certain that the unhappy custormers of the Wilber shocks from the GB were done misjustice buy the manufacturer by giving some guys underated springs or if the problem came Wilber USA in ordering the equiptment.
I'm not sure either, but after having my Wilber rebuilt and resprung by GP Suspension....I am a very happy camper with it now. In what I think was a combination with me under reporting weight and their spring either being under the actual rating...or getting sloppy over time.....I went from a 616 to an 800lbs and it works wonderfully now. Add the Soqui rebuild front end and my FJR is very, very happy..

Latest posts