GPS Advice wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
I have narrowed my choices down to the Garmin Quest 2 and the Garmin 276C. I would buy the Quest 2 in a heart beat but I haven't had first hand access to the unit and I'm worried that the screen might be too small. I plan on tying it into my Autocom for the voice commands. It seems like if I buy the 276C that I would need to purchase additional $oftware to have full map function. I like both of these units because of their waterproof ratings. (I live in New England). A non waterproof (water "resistant") unit would require the hole plastic baggy thing everytime it starts raining and I don't want to go there.

Recommendations on waterproof units and mounting suggestions are welcome. Also would like suggestions for good online vendors. (I don't want to buy a unit that has been heavily discounted to find out that Garmin won't support it because I bought from an "unauthorized" dealer.

Thanks,

Unicycle 52

04 FJR ABS

The Quest is nice, but the compressed file system makes it slow and the display is very small - the antenna is somewhat spindly as well.

You WILL need to buy memory and maps if you buy the 276c - but those maps are good for two Garmin units, so perhaps you can share the cost with someone else who has to update to V8 - or someone you know may have a Garmin unit and wouldn't mind unlocking his second license for your unit (I know).

I have lived quite well with the 128 meg memory. You can route from New York to LA in that (not much to spare, mind you). My second unit has a 512 - almost too much memory unless you really need the entire of North America, in which case you might want to check out the 378/478.

Do not even bother trying to use units that aren't waterproof - in the end you would be sorry. But you knew that.

The 2xxx series is always interesting (if you don't need battery operation or the larger tracklog that the Quest and 276 have) IMHO except for the fact that the LCD illumination uses a fluorescent tube (which yellows over time and can dim in cold weather) and the Quest and 276/376/378/478 use LEDs to light the display up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Quest/2 and I like it. I wish the screen was bigger, but having the internal battery, internal maps, etc. is nice. I can take the unit off the bike and continue to use it. I have a friend with the original Quest and the fact that he has to pick and choose regional maps if he's got a lot of POIs included is just silly.

Having said all that, I've thought about upping to a 2620 or other larger-format version because of the bigger screen and buttons. The quest/2 is a PAIN IN THE BUTT to operate with gloves on.

The 2xxx series is always interesting (if you don't need battery operation or the larger tracklog that the Quest and 276 have) IMHO except for the fact that the LCD illumination uses a fluorescent tube (which yellows over time and can dim in cold weather) and the Quest and 276/376/378/478 use LEDs to light the display up.

Ah, I was unaware of that issue with the screens. Thanks for that.

I haven’t installed my 2820 on my bike yet, but I love it in my car. Why do you want the 276c, water capabilities? For the same price roughly you can get the 2820 at cost from NAV2000 for being a forum member. And you get to have mp3 and XM too.

Take a look at it Garmin 2820

I haven’t installed my 2820 on my bike yet, but I love it in my car. Why do you want the 276c, water capabilities? For the same price roughly you can get the 2820 at cost from NAV2000 for being a forum member. And you get to have mp3 and XM too.
Take a look at it Garmin 2820
The marine functionality is a bonus that I personally don't use.
The 276/376/378/478 screens are marginally larger and have three times the screen resolution and five times the tracklog of the 2xxx series (Quest also has the large tracklog). The track log is an amazing tool that I have used to get out of speeding tickets, rediscover great roads previously accidentally located and ridden, without which they'd be forgotten.

I also like the fact that I can define a PPOI without having to plug the unit into a computer - then there's the battery operation.

I do NOT like having to maintain multiple MP3 devices, so I have an iPod that moves from place to place and I also have an XM receiver that I can move - the Garmin XM puck can more of a pain to schlep, so there's no benefit IMHO.

I have the orginal Quest for the last year and a half and I would be lost without it (pun intented :D ). The memory limit is really not a problem for me. I bought my 06 in Alabama and had my entire route back to Rhode Island in the unit. The portability and ease of use of unit more than make up for the memory limit. I also bought one for my wife and son. Great value :clapping:

I have the orginal Quest for the last year and a half and I would be lost without it (pun intented :D ). The memory limit is really not a problem for me. I bought my 06 in Alabama and had my entire route back to Rhode Island in the unit. The portability and ease of use of unit more than make up for the memory limit. I also bought one for my wife and son. Great value :clapping:

I have the 276c and it's been a great unit. Maybe not the most full featured automotive unit, but it's bullet proof and runs forever on a battery charge. It fits great on a stem mount, between the bars, and the screen is well sized. Also the city source CD can be used with multiple units. The memory cards are not cheap, but allow the unit to operate fast without sensitivity to amount of map loaded. I should repeat, the unit is fast in operatiojn and the user interface is cassic Garmin.

Bonus is the marine usability.