GPS in Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSFJR

Reaction score
Any FJR rider out there know if there is a tankbag on the market that has a clear window of suitable size and at a sufficient angle (say 45% to the rider), that would house a Garmin NUVI 260W and allow it to reasonably maintain satelite signals?? Hell, I don't even know if this is posible or not, I simply would like the option of using the NUVi on my 06AE on very rare occassions..........NSFJR

Any FJR rider out there know if there is a tankbag on the market that has a clear window of suitable size and at a sufficient angle (say 45% to the rider), that would house a Garmin NUVI 260W and allow it to reasonably maintain satelite signals?? Hell, I don't even know if this is posible or not, I simply would like the option of using the NUVi on my 06AE on very rare occassions..........NSFJR
I can't say for sure this would work but it does for my BMW. I have the slope type tank bag when i wanted to use the GPS I just flipped it around so the fatter end was closer to the dash. Could see it all day with no problems

I have a Magellan GPS and have put the darn thing all over the bars and in the bag. I have a Rapid Transit bag at present and took a piece of cardboard and made a cut out of the unit. Then I slid the unit into the map pocket of the bag. Did the same for the XM radio. Power for both units comes off of a single plug that I got from Powerlet. The positive part about this set up is it is water proof and when I leave the bike I can stick the bag in either a side case or my Givi top box. The down side is the glare on the gps unit except if it is early morning or evening. The whole idea needs more work.

I just ordered the Firstgear mini hard tank bag. it has a clear window built for a gps in it at a reasonable viewing angle. I will keep ya posted..

I know a guy that has been diong it for years with no problem. Dont know what kind of tank bag it is . Does the same thing with his radar detector.

My goal is to only use the bag and gps when i need a gps. That isnt much. I dont want to get a permanent mount and wirering of a Gps. I dont even want to buy a new Gps. I have a few year old magellan that i updated online for like 75 dollars it it works great like new. So I just want to put it in a small tank bag. I dont want a huge tank bag either. i pack lite for overnight traveling. i really rough it. I load up my stock hard bags and I go. So am waiting for my Firstgear Mini semi hard bag and like I said will give a review soon.

My goal is to only use the bag and gps when i need a gps. That isnt much. I dont want to get a permanent mount and wirering of a Gps. I dont even want to buy a new Gps. I have a few year old magellan that i updated online for like 75 dollars it it works great like new. So I just want to put it in a small tank bag. I dont want a huge tank bag either. i pack lite for overnight traveling. i really rough it. I load up my stock hard bags and I go. So am waiting for my Firstgear Mini semi hard bag and like I said will give a review soon.
Used the mini tank bag. It works but not ideal. If you just need it when your flat out lost and can stop and look at it it's ok. Other then that the glare and angle it is mounted are not ideal. Better then nothing but that's about it.

I use the Joe Rocket bag that has the gps pocket on top......it works reasonably well as long as your gps is on the small side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a smaller nelson Riggs for 3 years now. Very happy camper. It has a velcro removable clear map holder. It zips shut underneath. Most llikely would work well for ya.

Dave

I use industrial velcro right on the map holder, but I just have a GPS. Can hear ir good at 75MPH. When not using the tankbag, I velcro it to the top 3" of my jacket.

click
Had the same idea ... ordered this the other day.
I dont think your going to like what you've ordered. I tried one that one of our local dealers had and it did not fit the fjr bars very well. you may be able to get this to work, but it was pretty akward given the angle of the bars. it is built well though.

i did do a review of the following bag a few months ago: First gear laguna tank bag when i was looking for the exact same thing.

it should work very well for gps units that are smaller that 4.3 inches. the pocket is really too small for a large gps and i had to continuously fumble with taking in and out of the small area. i dont think you'll have the same issue with a smaller unit. . this bag is very well made and is set up for the application that your after though. has a hidden rain flap you can use to protect the unit if its not waterproof. you will get some glare of any bag that has adds another layer of plastic to look through though. This bag does a nice job of having places to hook wires through, so you can thread your power cable and headphones without any problem. even though i no longer plan on using the gps pocket, i'm keeping the bag.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator: