GPS largest screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryt

Reaction score
Time to get a GPS that I can use on the FJR, King Quad and in the Bronco. I want the largest color screen that I can get to fit on the bike...eyes ain't what they used to be :angry2: Any suggestions and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cary

I know a few riders out there have the Lowrance IWay GPS. Currently the latest and greatest is the iWAY 600C. It has a 5" LCD, which is about as big as your going to find.

It has drawbacks thought. It uses a hard drive instead of solid state memory, so your do run the risk of the hard drive dying due to vibration.

iWAY-600c-SAT_large.jpg

Good to know about the HD problem..the FJR isn't too bad but the Quad and the EB are extremely rough since they spend their life playing in the Rocks! I forgot to add that tracking of off road routes and the ability to download USFS maps would be needed. I know I should get 2 different GPS's but $$$$

Thanks, Cary

Another approach... For aging eyes, try these gems.

Bifocal reading glasses for riders. I find them all-day-comfy and can read my gps, directions or maps in the tank bag, and maps off the bike. The magnifying part is out of my vision unless I'm looking down at the instrument console. I carry both the clear and the smoke with me when I'm touring.

My buddy and I have used the Lowrance I-Way 500c for 4 years and about 40k miles. It's big and heavy but has an industrial strength hard drive thats never let us down. 5 inch touch screen, waterproof, full USA mapping and some of Canada/Mexico, Free upgrades online, 10 gigs included for mp3 music. No cradles, No rot or corrosion. Mine is mounted on a ram ball between the bars. No, I have no connection with Lowrance.

This high-res enough for ya?

screenshot-2008-08-02-18-31-19.gif

This is "Maemo Mapper" running on my Nokia N800 using a Bluetooth GPS module. The actual screen is 3-1/2" wide but really high resolution. That got me around Tennessee for the Honda Hoot & Deal's gap. The GPS module I use (Holux M241) is also smart enough to keep a trail I can download and view later, even if the N800 is off. Everything is thin enough to fit in the map pocket of my tankbag.

That's an actual screenshot, except I had to convert it from PNG to deal with the Nazi forum software.

It downloads maps from Google over wi-fi, so I don't have to pay $300 to Garmin for maps that are 12 years out of date.

[Edit: added screen width]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Garmin's maps don't cost $300 nor are they 12 years out of date.

In fact the mapping is Navtec's, which is for the most part bang-on.

It is the POI's that are hit and miss.

I use a Garmin 378 to watch Nexrad radar. I like to keep it zoomed out to see any approaching rain and lightning, but that leaves it useless for watching the back roads. Thats why I also use my Zumo 550 to navigate with and to operate my cell phone.

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

Holy cockpit Batman, that is one sweet setup you have EasyRider!

First dual GPS I have seen :dribble:

Not to mention the Valentine 1 & XM radio.

Where's the hot tub, snow cone maker and ... ?

Damn! Two gps's ?!?

btw - when are you going to take that sticker off your tank? :evilsmiley03:

Holy farkle-itus! Not only two GPS', but a Zumo and a 378? Damn dude! Youse got more $$$$ than brains because, 1) remove the damn sticker ya dork, and 2) get a freaking VistaCruise. Best $20 you'll spend.

And no, I am NOT jealous or anything.

So Easy what is the small enclosure on the left handlebar that has a knob & what looks like a headphone jack?
I use that to connect ether my ham H.T. ham radio or my GMRS two way radio to my Autocom system. The PTT button is on the left handle bar. The ball mount holds the radio mounts.

I like electronic gadgets. :)