GPS Lifespan?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I've been using my Garmin GPS for about 3 1/2 years. Never had any problems with it, used it in my cars and my bikes. Even got caught in the rain a time or two and it kept working after it got wet. Like anything, after a while you get so accustomed to technology, it's like becoming addicted. GPS' are great, not only did I use mine for basic mapping out my destinations, but I also used the 8gb card for my music, located restaurants, gas stations and even a store I might have been looking for in an area I was not familiar with. Mine told me how many miles I had covered, how many more I had yet to go and even what time I would arrive if I kept the same pace.

Now today I'm loading three different routes I could take to Taos for the SW-FOG and while I'm doing that, the damn thing just quit working, screen went black and it died. I tried two different power adapters and the two different ways to power it up and nothing worked.

Maps? Yeah I have a couple road atlases, but they take up too much room on a bike. I also have one of those Rand McNally maps that are plastic coated and easy to fold up for all of the Western states, so I'm still good to go with the SW-FOG. And having lived in New Mexico for over five years I know how to get to most cities and the more direct main routes. I think I'm just sharing this because I'm pissed off because these things always happen at the worst opportune time. I am leaving on Tuesday morning for Taos and I normally buy my stuff online, so I don't have time to get a new replacement in time. And now beemerDon is going to rag my ass over this anyway.

So, now that I'm done ranting, what is the lifespan of your GPS? Is it like the energizer bunny that just keeps on ticking or have you had a GPS up & die for no apparent reason?

I've had my Garmin Street Pilot III since '04 (maybe late '03, I forget). It's slow, I need to program and swap out memory cards depending on where I am heading, and the interface is serial but it still works. The antenna is now held on by Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and it has "frozen" three or four times. Cut power (hard wire and batteries). Re-power and it's fine......so far. I keep meaning to buy a Zumo but every time I get close to pulling the tirgger I hear about another rider's Zumo crapping out in some way and I am reminded that the newer GPS units have their fair share of problems, too. Still have the SPIII. Likely will have it for a while but, then again.....

Last edited by a moderator:
What model do you have? I've used my 2730 on the bike and in the cage for about 5 years without any problems.

Hey pimple dik.

First of all, ya don't need them fancy Schmancy gadgets..How the feck you think Columbus Discovered Kansas?

Second, Our brand new never turned on, let alone used unit made it maybe 60 miles before it flew off at 90 plus..

So let's say 1 hour..

Happy now?

:jester:

My 2730 was cutting out on trips and I found the "Y" part of the power cable where it splits to go to the Starcom and the GPS had a loose connection. I taped a short length of the "Y" together and that was fine.

Then one time it quit, wouldn't turn on even using my PC cable. I discovered the contacts on the back of the GPS had some corrosion on them. Cleaned it with a toothbrush and a pencil eraser and that worked. I have to do that every couple of weeks.

HTH

If it's a Zumo 550....... start by removing the battery, clean with contact cleaner and reinstall. Battery may be dead, so recharge.

Did you try pressing and holding the power button while pushing the volume button (not sure if its low or high) at the same time? A friends zumo died and thats what he had to do to get it back in business.

You have to tell us what model you have if you want help debugging the problem.

To answer your question, I have a Garmin 2720 that worked fine for about 3 years of hard use, always on the bike and in plenty of rain storms. The touch screen started misbehaving last year so I bought a reconditioned 2730 to replace it. So I'd say 3 to 4 years if you use it hard and don't baby it.

If yours is a Garmin, you can send some models back to them for repair or replacement for a reasonable cost. They offered to repair my 2720 for $100. Check the Garmin web site under service.

I have a 8 or 9 year old original StreetPilot on my KLR650, it still works but

the screen is starting to give in to the thumper vibes.

Ditto what Geezer said. I dropped my Garmin and cracked the screen badly.

$99 dollars later and my Garmin 760 is as good a new.

You have to tell us what model you have if you want help debugging the problem.
To answer your question, I have a Garmin 2720 that worked fine for about 3 years of hard use, always on the bike and in plenty of rain storms. The touch screen started misbehaving last year so I bought a reconditioned 2730 to replace it. So I'd say 3 to 4 years if you use it hard and don't baby it.

If yours is a Garmin, you can send some models back to them for repair or replacement for a reasonable cost. They offered to repair my 2720 for $100. Check the Garmin web site under service.
Might want to rethink that on the 2720. I have 2. The second I picked up a year or so ago refurbed (1 year Garmin warranty) for about $120. It came just like a new unit. My 1st one I did have repaired once. The screen started 'peeling'. They replaced the entire display, replaced a couple of switches they found were bad (who knew?) and updated the firmware for about $140 (before I knew I could find refurbed units cheap).

My 2720 is several years old and has seem over 250K miles - with some pretty crappy weather thrown in. Its been very reliable for me. That said, its showing its age. The screen is pretty scratched up now and I just ordered a new Zumo - time to go Bluetooth.

Hey pimple dik. First of all, ya don't need them fancy Schmancy gadgets..How the feck you think Columbus Discovered Kansas?

Second, Our brand new never turned on, let alone used unit made it maybe 60 miles before it flew off at 90 plus..

So let's say 1 hour..

Happy now?

It wasn't easy sneaking onto Bust's property, what with all of the sheep calling out my name, to loosen the screws on his GPS so that it would go highway surfing at 90 plus. But, it was even harder to break into Big-D's garage, he has a little yapper dog that starts yelping over a farting mouse, to disable his GPS with an industrial strength magnet. ALL GPS'S MUST DIE! Signed, The Grim GPS Reaper!

Hey pimple dik. First of all, ya don't need them fancy Schmancy gadgets..How the feck you think Columbus Discovered Kansas?

So let's say 1 hour..

Happy now?

It wasn't easy sneaking onto Bust's property, what with all of the sheep calling out my name, to loosen the screws on his GPS so that it would go highway surfing at 90 plus. But, it was even harder to break into Big-D's garage, he has a little yapper dog that starts yelping over a farting mouse, to disable his GPS with an industrial strength magnet. ALL GPS'S MUST DIE! Signed, The Grim GPS Reaper!
Right! I hate to say it but I gotta agree with these guys! It is better to know where you are going whether power is on or off, but then on the other hand, not all those who wander are lost? On third hand, I have a GPS, but I only use it to find out where I am, if I am lost.

My Garmin is (was) a 760 like SnowAviation's. Not waterproof, but worked great until yesterday. Thanks, I now feel better knowing my GPS lasted longer than Bust's. I don't feel so bad.

Yes I will contact Garmin after my return from Taos about a repair. Although without it, I may become infinitely lost, never finding the glorious state of Arizona again. Oh no....... I could end up in Owosso if I'm not careful!! If I find myself in a world of sheep-shit, I'd better turn around! Wheres a GPS when you need one!!

Thanks everyone for your replies........!!

My Garmin is (was) a 760 like SnowAviation's. Not waterproof, but worked great until yesterday. Thanks, I now feel better knowing my GPS lasted longer than Bust's. I don't feel so bad.
Get a proper unit for a motorcycle. And always have a spare.

I've had good luck with my GPSs, but I think they do have somewhat of a shelf life if you are hard on them.

I bought my Zumo 550 in Oct. 2007 and used it on day rides around Phoenix. For the 2008 COG rally in Frisco, CO., I loaded it with all the rally rides, and the trip that preceded it from Phoenix to Salt Lake City (World Superbike) then over the mountains to Frisco. Everything was fine until two days into the rally when the Zumo died. I called Garmin and they suggested I connect the Zumo to a power source. Unfortunately, I did not have a power cable, and the USB port on the public computer in the motel had been disabled, so I stashed the Zumo in my bags and rode home using maps (oh the horror). When I got home, I connected the charger and, surprise - everything was back to normal. I presume that the Concours did not have enough capacity to keep the Zumo fully charged, but I never had another problem.

As others have said, you didn't say which GPS you have. But I couldn't be happier with the Garmin 376c and 478 units I've had. I had two 376c units replaced under warranty (they were still working, just not working properly) and one replaced under the "flat fee fix or replace" program. If you take into consideration the investment you may have in maps and accessories, learing how to use it, and the time spent wiring one onto a bike, this may be the cheapest option.

Since you're pressed for time, you might consider picking up an el-chipo unit from Wally World. They sell some Garmin units really cheap, that will give you a GPS to use. Heck if you're not happy with it after your trip you can even return it for a full refund.

My Zummo 550 decided to send me down a "shortcut" between twisty mountain roads on my recent trip through WV / NC last week. The road started out looking like someone's poorly paved narrow driveway and got progressively worse. It turned into a pot holed dirt road and then a washed out "stream bed" complete with foot deep ruts and rocks the size of your fist. I was hoping that I was past the worst and it would improve around the next corner up until I passed the point of no return. I crested a hill made of solid rock and wound up on an incline of about 35% in the washed out rutted area mentioned above. I was fully loaded with side cases packed, the largest GIVI top case available full of crap, tank bag and wife on the back. There was no way I could turn it around and try to get it back up the grade without ending up horizontal so I had to forge on. I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh 145 lbs. I have to tip toe under normal conditions to touch the ground. Within the first 20 feet of this section I lost my balance/footing and dumped the bike (never been down prior to this). I took me over 3 hours to make it down this section which was about 500 yards long, figuring I'd dump it any time again either on the rocks or down the 5 foot drop off into the woods at the edge sometimes inches away. We were in the middle of coal / bear country just outside of bum **** no where. I could hear the theme to Deliverance playing over my cursing. I was my own fault for continuing on when the road went from bad to worse but I was expecting it to improve not worsen. It was the most stressful 3 hours of my life, and I've been through chemo twice. I'm an idiot for taking this road in the first place so let this be a warning to the rest of the GPS dependent amongst us.

My Zummo 550 decided to send me down a "shortcut" between twisty mountain roads on my recent trip through WV / NC last week. The road started out looking like someone's poorly paved narrow driveway and got progressively worse. It turned into a pot holed dirt road and then a washed out "stream bed" complete with foot deep ruts and rocks the size of your fist. I was hoping that I was past the worst and it would improve around the next corner up until I passed the point of no return. I crested a hill made of solid rock and wound up on an incline of about 35% in the washed out rutted area mentioned above. I was fully loaded with side cases packed, the largest GIVI top case available full of crap, tank bag and wife on the back. There was no way I could turn it around and try to get it back up the grade without ending up horizontal so I had to forge on. I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh 145 lbs. I have to tip toe under normal conditions to touch the ground. Within the first 20 feet of this section I lost my balance/footing and dumped the bike (never been down prior to this). I took me over 3 hours to make it down this section which was about 500 yards long, figuring I'd dump it any time again either on the rocks or down the 5 foot drop off into the woods at the edge sometimes inches away. We were in the middle of coal / bear country just outside of bum **** no where. I could hear the theme to Deliverance playing over my cursing. I was my own fault for continuing on when the road went from bad to worse but I was expecting it to improve not worsen. It was the most stressful 3 hours of my life, and I've been through chemo twice. I'm an idiot for taking this road in the first place so let this be a warning to the rest of the GPS dependent amongst us.
did the zumo send you this way during a recalculate? you should enable aviodances for non paved roads and seasonal closures. If this was part of a custom route, you need to zoom in on mapsource for all "questionable" roads to see if you see dotted lines (meaning gravel or unpaved). This has saved me multiple times during my custom routes. Dont get me wrong, theres no full proof way to be sure (since i've been on gravel and crap when mapsource told me otherwise), but for the most part those 3 things will keep you out of that situation.

GreyGoose