GPS mount question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I recently picked uo a Garmin 2820 and it came with a dashpad for the cage and an extra mount. Can anyone see a drawback to glueing this easy on / off mount to a techmount or the n/line dash rather than screwing the unit into a bracket? It would really make it easy to move it between the cage and the bike, and also easy to pop into a pocket when I leave the bike in a parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I can. Finding a glue that is equally effective on metal and plastic might be tough. If the experiment fails, it's goodbye Garmin, and that would not be cool at all. You may see replies such as "Primate Glue is used instead of welding/rivits in battleship construction", but do you really wanna chance that precious device to this? I've found it rare indeed for an adhesive that is absolutely reliable on such dissimilar materials.

I wouldn't use that mount on my bike if it was glued, riveted, AND screwed unless it was duplicated in billet aluminum first.

That is sweet, and only $400 beans....... :eek:

AHA00001-0101.jpg

Luckily, it's not made for what I have.. :D

Saw this from Garmin for $20 to bolt to the techmount:
https://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10495%2D01
That's what I run, and consider it minimalistic.
Toecutter:

Is the one you have more or less "minimalistic" (in terms of grip on the 2610) than the one from the box that Fencer is refering to? Have you had problems with what garmin advertises as the "motorcycle mount."

Both will fit the 2.25x3 tech mount plate. https://pierre.inazores.com/gps_garmin_e.htm. The one from the box has screws in the back (1.25x2"). Drill tech mount plate. add 1/8" longer screws. Add some glue into the screw mounts. Voila.

What's wrong with that? (Street use anyway)

Kevin,

Don't use the
010-10199-02.jpg
thing.

I have had one lock fail, and a different time the gear fail (on different units), and that was in a truck -- not on a motorcycle.

I'd bolt a cradle (rammount or Garmin or whatever) to the n-line dash.