gps mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Lowrance and used MC Larry's replacment steering stem nut with threads for the ram ball. Great location that gives me flexibility with a long RAM arm. Plus not very noticable.

Check out techmount- I bought the double platform model so I could mount gps, and Radar- but they sell singles as well. Here's some photos;

As far as your question "what is the best way?" that's a little subjective- what's best for me and him, may not be best for you. You'll have to decide- I like my set-up, but some will say a ram mount is best, it's up to you and your wallet.

fjr006.jpg

fjr002.jpg

fjr001.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is you have a nuvi, not the zumo. First question is are you worried about it being water proof? Second question is are you worried about power?

The best thing out there at the moment to waterproof the nuvi is Ram Mounts Aqua Box.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-waterproof-aqua-box-6-screw-down-plate-mount.html

Lots of info here on the forum about it. Where to mount is definetly personal. Do you have/are you going to get the N/Line dash. Otherwise, your choice is stem mount. I think the non-AE models also have the mirror mount hole on the left side, but I'm not sure.

One thing to remember about power, for the nuvi to work at full brightness you need the Powelet PPC-024. I use this with a mini lighter/usb adapter from the glove box.

https://www.powerlet.com/product/miniusb-adapter-for-garmin-gps/357

Hope this helps

Burt, the WynPro mount is real nice, and reasonably priced. It replaces the hold-down on the tank and places the GPS right in front of you, but it doesn not twist with the bars, it stays stationary. You will also need to get a 3-inch RAM extension arm and a RAM cradle for the Nuvi 205 (200 series) Part RAM-HOL-GA24U and a diamond plate adapter..

I'm using a RAM mount system for my 1490T, mounted on top of the Clutch Reservoir. Changed the 3" mouting stem to a 1" to position the Nuvi a little lower but haven't ridden with it in the new position. Didn't find it much of an issue having the GPS mounted to the left instead of in the middle. I'm not looking at it while turning so don't care if it moves with the handlebars or remains stationary. No problem with vibration.

Dennis

Burt, the WynPro mount is real nice, and reasonably priced. It replaces the hold-down on the tank and places the GPS right in front of you, but it doesn not twist with the bars, it stays stationary. You will also need to get a 3-inch RAM extension arm and a RAM cradle for the Nuvi 205 (200 series) Part RAM-HOL-GA24U and a diamond plate adapter..
+1... This really is a great solution. I've had GPS's mounted to bars on past bikes and I think it's better for the unit to be more secure and suffer less vibration.

_wsb_640x479_WP_000746.jpg

+1... This really is a great solution. I've had GPS's mounted to bars on past bikes and I think it's better for the unit to be more secure and suffer less vibration.

_wsb_640x479_WP_000746.jpg

Thing is you have a nuvi, not the zumo. First question is are you worried about it being water proof? Second question is are you worried about power?

The best thing out there at the moment to waterproof the nuvi is Ram Mounts Aqua Box.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-waterproof-aqua-box-6-screw-down-plate-mount.html

Lots of info here on the forum about it. Where to mount is definetly personal. Do you have/are you going to get the N/Line dash. Otherwise, your choice is stem mount. I think the non-AE models also have the mirror mount hole on the left side, but I'm not sure.

One thing to remember about power, for the nuvi to work at full brightness you need the Powelet PPC-024. I use this with a mini lighter/usb adapter from the glove box.

https://www.powerlet.com/product/miniusb-adapter-for-garmin-gps/357

Hope this helps
First question is are you worried about it being water proof?

I have been running a Nuvi 855 and during those times it does rain, a plastic bag would work fine...for me i say let it rain let it rain.. i run unprotected routes and waypoints...its not like it is going to be under water 3 meters down with pressure, however if it is under at 3, the rain will be the least of your worries

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I too used the tech mount stem mount. Nice and easy to install, out of the way, still can see my Zumo550 over the tank bag. It's what you want that will make the decision for you. RAM stuff is great too. Use then for my Droid X and my HD cam. Good luck.