GPS options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
My wife has surprised me and asked me what kind of GPS I would like for Xmas. I guess all my hints have finally take root. So I'm looking to my fellow 2 wheelers for comments and suggestions. Thanks for any help

PS. Cold, rainy and windy here in Oregon.

I'd go for the Garmin 2720 or the 2730 (XM radio/weather). They're pricey, but worth it. I've got an older model Streetpilot III which still works fine. I may retire it next summer and will most likely go for one of the units mentioned above.

I got the Garmin 2720 a few months ago, so far I really like it. But then again it's my first GPS so I have no real comparison.

If you're looking for a GPS that is portable, for use on a mc, in a car, truck or while hiking, take a look at the Garmin Quest II. I've been researching for some time and this is the best I've found so far for my needs. It also uses flash memory instead of HDD, which makes it a much better bet to withstand the vibration inherent in mounting any GPS to a mc. It comes preloaded with detailed base and street maps for the entire USA. Waterproof, lithium ion battery for up to 20 hours portable use, and can be hooked to your mc or car power supply if you wish. Also very small, voice directions, all the usual additional features, mounting hardware available for mounting to your mc. Small enough to put in your shirt pocket.

There is no GPS currently on the market for someone looking for a unit that will fully meet your needs for mc, car or truck, marine, geocaching and hiking use, but the Quest comes as close as anything I've yet found. I'm still looking but will probably go with the Quest II shortly. I've found it as low as $540 delivered via an Internet vendor.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

A very happy Garmin 2610 user here.

cockpit.jpg

I have a Garmin V Deluxe, a very good small unit. Also, a Magellean 700 Roadmate, a bigger display but not so useful for motorcycle applications. Finally, IMHO, the Lowrance My Way 500C, with the 1.04 software load, is the best unit of those I have. It works great, great flexible data displays, 3D feature, completely waterproof even can operate while submerged, built in antenna, 10 GBs of installed map including Canada and USA and 10 GBs of space for loading MP3 music. I have used mine for nearly 9 months and it is bulletproof and is available new for about $600 USD. Very satisfied with the Lowrance. Also, you can load multiple destinations routes/tracks on it with the 1.04 version software(downloaded for web).

Go to your local GPS store and test drive a few, make sure you take into consideration of screen size, touch screen or no touch screen, make sure it is water proof, no hard drive if you are going to use it on your FJR.

The Garmin Nuvi 350 is very nice and I really like it. lots of extras and great map software from Garmin.

I would consider this unit except is not water proof.

I recommend the Garmin 276c or 376c along with the Garmin 2720 and 2730 for your needs.

But what do I know! :D

Good luck and the best unit is the one you will enjoy using, don't save a dollar at a cost of regretting it later Money is not everything and the most expensive GPS unit you will buy is one that you don't use.

04FJR4ME

Auto Nav 2000 Plus, Inc.

A very happy Garmin 2610 user here.
cockpit.jpg
I also use the Garmin 2610 because it doesn't have a HDD. I upgraded to the $150.00 US Maps and got a 2GB CF card to replace the 128K card it came with. I would like to have the same gadgetguy.net housing above but it costs what I paid for the used 2610 on eBay. I'm in a very low crime area so I can get away with a techmount stem and a Garmin hard plastic holder. It comes off in 10 seconds so I can use it in the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of GPS units that talk to PDAs via BlueTooth. They are small (my Garmin is less than half the size of a pack of cigarettes). You can place them optimally for reception, but place the PDA where you can see it. You download maps to the PDA, no req for using proprietarial mem chips (the main problem with the Garmin StreetPilot series).

All the B/T GPS has to to is get a good signal and relay that to the PDA. The S/W is in the PDA and I gather more than one kind of S/W will run with the unit.

The Garmin is waterproof, rechargable, and magnetic--it sticks to the FJR tank.