GPS power take off point(s)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

600rick

Reaction score
Ok...I know I'll get razzed, but I have searched and seems like endless threads without finding the EASIEST place to get my 12VDC source for my Garmin GPS. I will use a cigarette lighter female in the glove Box. My bike is and 04 and don't think there are any "un-used" ..accessory plugs.

I'm trying to do this and get out of town by next Friday, hence the beg for a quick answer/pictures.

I would greatly, greatly appreciate anyone that can help me out on this..........

Rick

Ok...I know I'll get razzed, but I have searched and seems like endless threads without finding the EASIEST place to get my 12VDC source for my Garmin GPS. I will use a cigarette lighter female in the glove Box. My bike is and 04 and don't think there are any "un-used" ..accessory plugs.I'm trying to do this and get out of town by next Friday, hence the beg for a quick answer/pictures.

I would greatly, greatly appreciate anyone that can help me out on this..........

Rick
Run a positive wire/fuse combo off the positive terminal of the battery and run a ground wire to any convenient ground location.

Ok...I know I'll get razzed, but I have searched and seems like endless threads without finding the EASIEST place to get my 12VDC source for my Garmin GPS.
Because "easiest" is subjective.

You want really easy? Take a Saws-All to to your D: panel, strip some wire, and wind the leads GPS power cable to the terminals. 5 minutes.

You want to not cut holes in your bike? Take off the panels manually with the instructions provided on FJRTech.com, crimp in a set of ring terminals, and add it to your battery. About 1 hour with crimping gear.

[You want to not cut holes in your bike? Take off the panels manually with the instructions provided on FJRTech.com, crimp in a set of ring terminals, and add it to your battery. About 1 hour with crimping gear.
1 hour?!?! 1 HOUR!!!! You're going to scare the kid off Ig. I can do all that in...ummm...15 minutes tops!

[You want to not cut holes in your bike? Take off the panels manually with the instructions provided on FJRTech.com, crimp in a set of ring terminals, and add it to your battery. About 1 hour with crimping gear.
1 hour?!?! 1 HOUR!!!! You're going to scare the kid off Ig. I can do all that in...ummm...15 minutes tops!
Thanks...that was kind of the plan...just was curious if there was a take off somewhere near the glove box....

the battery it is.........15 minutes........ok..........maybe 2hr & 15 minutes..........

thanks guys.......Rick

If you have already changed to the Magnum Blaster horns you probably have a hot wire that used to power the right horn. Not ideal for a GPS because it switches off with the key, but easy to get to and good for a temporary install.

One tip, it is not a good idea to ground to the frame. Ground to an existing ground wire or, better, directly to the battery.

Thanks...that was kind of the plan...just was curious if there was a take off somewhere near the glove box....

the battery it is.........15 minutes........ok..........maybe 2hr & 15 minutes..........

thanks guys.......Rick
Rick, seriously, to get to the battery all you have to do is pull the allen bolt at the bottom of the A panel (near the tank), pull the allen bolt at the top of the A panel (where the A and C panels overlap) and then pull the pastic rivet from the side of the A panel. After removing those fasteners the A panel comes off easily and the battery is easily accessible. Page 6-8 of your owners manual has instructions and pictures for removing the A panel.

Rick, seriously, to get to the battery all you have to do is pull the allen bolt at the bottom of the A panel (near the tank), pull the allen bolt at the top of the A panel (where the A and C panels overlap) and then pull the pastic rivet from the side of the A panel. After removing those fasteners the A panel comes off easily and the battery is easily accessible. Page 6-8 of your owners manual has instructions and pictures for removing the A panel.
Huh?

Are you by change talking a Gen II bike....because the thread starter is talking about a 2004 bike with instructions for removal here. The battery isn't anywhere near A....and A and C don't overlap. There is no powerpoint in the glovebox of Gen I. That was a Gen II invention.

The battery is under the D panel and one really only has to do the C and D. No need to touch A or B.

Panels4.jpg

Are you by change talking a Gen II bike....because the thread starter is talking about a 2004 bike with instructions for removal
D'oh - damn these old eyes. Yeah, I was talking about a Gen II - I thought I saw the OP had a 2006...after looking at it again you are, of course, right about what year bike he has. Sorry for any confusion.

Yesterday I have wired a Smart Tire to a left horn constant on connector the negative to the frame bolt that grounds the horn. very easy routing. I did routed the GPS directly to the battery.