GPS question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just beginning to think about getting a GPS for my 06AE, and I read in the blurb for the Centech AP2 that a GPS should be connected unswitched because it needs to stay on all the time. Is it true? I hate the thought of leaving a constant drain on my battery.

I can't speak to the model you specified, only in general terms. My Zumo is powered up with the ignition.

On the Zumo, I often press YES to Continue On Battery Power, whenever I'm going in for a quick stop, bite to eat etc. It avoids the wait time for a restart, remap, reload of MP3s, re.... you get the picture.

I've had my GPS wired both ways. I find it extremely frustrating to have it switched. Especially on long trips where I'm using the GPS to record mission info on elapsed time and track. Having to start it up after every gas stop is a pain for me. I recommend direct to the battery.

I've had my GPS wired both ways. I find it extremely frustrating to have it switched. Especially on long trips where I'm using the GPS to record mission info on elapsed time and track. Having to start it up after every gas stop is a pain for me. I recommend direct to the battery.
Thanks, all. What I'm getting from this is that it wants to be on all the time during a trip but it can be off if garaged for extended periods. Does that sound about right?

Thanks, all. What I'm getting from this is that it wants to be on all the time during a trip but it can be off if garaged for extended periods. Does that sound about right?
Yes.

You simply turn off the switch (for the GPS) when you don't want it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe with the Zumo, the power management is different pending which cradle it is in.

On the Car cradle, with the Zumo off on an unswitched power connection, the car will continue to charge the Zumo battery.

On the motorcycle cradle, with the Zumo off on an unswitched power connection, there is no power to the Zumo.

As for switched or not switched, I prefer the unswitched power to a GPS. If you have a switched power connection to your GPS, every time you power off the motorcycle, the GPS will have to go through it's boot process and re-establish position which takes a little time. If you have a direct powered connection, and stop for re-fueling or a quick stop, the GPS can stay on, and when you are ready to go -- so is the GPS -- no waiting for it to go through it's power-on sequence.

The only draw-back for having constant power to the GPS, is remembering to turn off the GPS.

Yes.

You simply turn off the switch (for the GPS) when you don't want it on.
Ah, the old On/Off switch trick. Doh!! Got it. Thanks.

(Why do I feel as though I've just avoided a dog-pile?)

My Zumo 550 is constent power. I've never had a power drain problem even after letting it set for a few hours. I do take mine completely off when parked overnight or longer.

I prefer to run switched power to all my GPS units (I have one for each vehicle). That way if I decide to keep it running or turn it on manually and forget to switch it off, the only battery that gets discharged is the one inside the navigator.

Anyone know how long it would take a ZUMO to drain a battery if you left it on after the bike was switched off? Assume that the battery had a full charge to begin with.

Maybe a better question is how long until the battery wouldn't have enough juice to start the bike?

Anyone know how long it would take a ZUMO to drain a battery if you left it on after the bike was switched off? Assume that the battery had a full charge to begin with.
Maybe a better question is how long until the battery wouldn't have enough juice to start the bike?
I don't know about the Zumo, but I can't start my bike if I leave my 2610 on all day at work. Strangely, if I leave it on overnight, the bike will start ib the morning, but the 2610's display dims at night, surely reducing its current draw.

Caveat: I have a cheap-ass aftermarket battery.

I believe with the Zumo, the power management is different pending which cradle it is in.On the Car cradle, with the Zumo off on an unswitched power connection, the car will continue to charge the Zumo battery.

On the motorcycle cradle, with the Zumo off on an unswitched power connection, there is no power to the Zumo.

This is correct but power continues to the unit from its internal battery. It gives you a choice as to continue on the Zumo's battery or let it shut down. If you choose neither option, the unit shuts down .

As for switched or not switched, I prefer the unswitched power to a GPS. If you have a switched power connection to your GPS, every time you power off the motorcycle, the GPS will have to go through it's boot process and re-establish position which takes a little time. If you have a direct powered connection, and stop for re-fueling or a quick stop, the GPS can stay on, and when you are ready to go -- so is the GPS -- no waiting for it to go through it's power-on sequence.

This is where the Zumo is different than other (I'm assuming) GPS units. If you touch the "yes" button (on the screen after turning the bike off) the Zumo stays active, being powered as stated above. When you restart the bike, Zumo switches back to the bike's power supply. No need to go through the reboot process. This also retains elapsed time and distance traveled (if using this function) of the current trip.

The only draw-back for having constant power to the GPS, is remembering to turn off the GPS.

2 weeks ago at the ROT rally in Austin, Tx, I parked my bike on 6th St at 4:00 pm...forgot to turn off my Zumo....arrived back at my bike at 12:30 ( 8 1/2 hrs later), and no problem starting the bike. My battery is about 19 months old.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

2 weeks ago at the ROT rally in Austin, Tx, I parked my bike on 6th St at 4:00 pm...forgot to turn off my Zumo....arrived back at my bike at 12:30 ( 8 1/2 hrs later), and no problem starting the bike. My battery is about 19 months old.
The good news is that the Zumo was still there when you got back!

It isn't the 8 hour parking that is of concern. It is the 'leave it for a couple of days' issue - and your battery WILL be dead if you park it over a couple of rainy days with the unit turned on.

The good news is that the Zumo was still there when you got back!
Hey, wattyu trying to say about Austin? The ROT participants were probably too busy ogling the big gals in the black T-shirts to be noticing a Zumo. :rolleyes:

If you're wanting a true total average speed and such, then it has to be on the whole time. If you turn it off (or it powers down with the bike) then the clock stops ticking for that route.

I can't speak to the model you specified, only in general terms. My Zumo is powered up with the ignition.
On the Zumo, I often press YES to Continue On Battery Power, whenever I'm going in for a quick stop, bite to eat etc. It avoids the wait time for a restart, remap, reload of MP3s, re.... you get the picture.
+1 ... GUNNY ... whatever.

JW