GPS Recommendation???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSFJR

Reaction score
I am considering getting a GPS for use with both my FJR and Acura. I have studied the Garmin line which is my preferred manufacturer, and I have no requirements for a ton of features, such a weather maps, etc. One model really caught my eye, Quest, which at under $400 in Canada is in the rannge of what I hoped to pay.

I would also appreciate any recommendations on the best method/products to mount a GPS on the FJR, as I see Garmin themselves offer a range of motorcycle mounts, some with a wiring harness, and quite pricy.

All help/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Lots of models and choices obviously. The 27xx and 28xx series are popular choices for the FJR's and motorcycles. Probably the most critical nugget is avoiding GPS with microdrive (hard drives). They have moving parts and are tend to die with prolonged vibration.

I suggest talking to Sportbikeeffects.com. Besides a great vendor, he's on this forum as an FJR owner and regular contributor.

+1 on no hard drive.

I have the 2730, a QuestII, and several x76 -- so I can comment on those 3:

The 27xx and 28xx will be the easiest to use (better user interface), and is a touch-screen. Display is great (3-D), easy to find stuff, and route. The display on mine (between the display and touch pad membrane) fogged up after 3 months.

The 376/476/478 will be the most durable, most powerful, and the most difficult to use (older user interface, and requires that you spell things via the 4-way toggle pad). If it accepts GXM 30 antenna, can do Nexrad Radar etc. The 'marine' series are the most durable, and will handle vibration and moisture better than the auto or motorcycle ones. I've had my x76's for many years -- no problems.

The Quest II (not the Quest 1) is the least expensive, user interface similar to the x76/x78 series, is not touch-screen (more durable), and is the smallest. The Quest can run for many hours on battery (i think 32 hours is stated in the manual)

Zumo (not available yet I think) may be a good choice also -- it is 27xx user interface similar, and was designed specifically for a motorcycle.

good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zumo is more of a Nuvi clone than a 27xx/28xx device.

My preference trends to the 276/376/378/478 - I have two. Best resolution of any of their common devices.

Been with the Quest, but found the screen too tiny and the antenna too spindly.

The marine units do use the dial-it-up text inputs, but the Zumo has it's own weirdness. It will be available this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2610 for a long time, and think it is a great model. I'd go with 27xx or 28xx if you are worried about size. The 276, 376 are also fine choices as well. If I were buying now, I'd buy one of those. The reason being that I primarily use the GPS on my bike, and the buttons are better for gloved hands than the touch screen, though it has worked fine as well.

dgfella

I've been using the Quest for about a year and a half and really like it. I have also bought one for my wife and son. The Quest is easy to use, I even taught my wife how to use it (she considers a toaster high tech).