gps route planning:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
I've done the searches and couldn't find that much. Question is the Nuvi 750 and above models now have multiple route planning but since I don't know squidly about gps's, does that mean you can plan multiple stopping points like on a route and have those points come out in the quickest order of arrival and using voice commands?

I would like to have something I can use on the bike and something I can use in my delivery van. I usually make about 4 to 8 stops per route that varies each trip and would also like to use the gps like on a group ride where we will be stopping at different locals on the ride without fooling around with some papers in a map case on a tankbag.

Anyone have any suggestions on what model or brand, screen size, ect., and can these be used on a bike? Also I don't need any bells or whistles and boy is it confusing looking at different gps! I know this sounds like alot of questions but need some help. Thanks in advance, PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are looking for a navigator for your bike, why not start by looking at devices intended for that application instead of 'regular consumer models'?

Garmin does have a number of units specifically recommended for bike use (and a series of models that USED to be recommended, but because of their potential impact on the Zumo model sales, they no longer have it on their 'most desireable' list). The qualities that make a unit 'bike compatible' are vibration resistance and the need for them to be waterproof. Nuvi, C, i and so on are neither.

That makes your choices much simpler;

Zumo (450 / 550)

Quest (1 / 2)

276c (276c / 376c / 378c / 478c) - particularly attractive if you are a boater - I am not

If you are a pilot, you can add the 296 to the list

Each has it's strengths and weaknesses - from my sig you can tell I currently run a Zumo 550 - but if my brother hadn't absconded with my 276c I'd go back to that in a flash - it was and remains my all-time favorite bike navigator for a whole bunch of excellent reasons.

Zumo is specifically designed for bikes, but it is not configurable, is truly 'dumbed down' and lacks a lot of the features that I for one find important - and the display on the 276c is second to none. The battery operates the device for up to 16 hours and it is crisp and very sunlight readable. It is unfortunate that it doesn't have a touchsccreen (NOT). Touchscreens suck in the rain and have proved to be 'iffy' over the long haul, not to mention that you wind up with fingerprints over your display.

On the other hand, Zumo has excellent consumer features - they have the 3D display that some people like (not me, thanks). They have TTS (they speak street names) where 276 and Quest will speak distances only to turns - not a hardship in my opinion and offset by 276c's much better turn annunciation displays).

Zumo has a Bluetooth connection for your cell phone - the car mount provides a speakerphone connection - very convenient. But the Bluetooth isn't A2DP, so the built-in MP3 player won't play wirelessly in stereo. You can get XM for the 376 and higher as well as for the Zumo - whoopie - I have a separate MP3 player and an XM radio and the two devices cost less than the XM 'pod' Garmin sells to provide the feature.

In theory you can have traffic support on the Zumo - never tried it. I don't want to pay subscription fees (in Europe, traffic services are free).

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of those who had a unit from the 276c series who has moved to Zumo prefers the 276c over the Zumo.

I've written reviews of both models on www.epinions.com - search my user name if you are interested in reading them (same as mine here).

And, to answer your question, multiple route support means that you can plan several trips, each with a start point and an end point and potentially a number of stops on the way and save them for individual recall in memory. All of the units I've mentioned will do that. 2820 will even organise them into the most efficient driving order. I think Zumo will too, but I've never checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat as painman, looking for the "right" unit. I started my mapping software use before I was back riding, getting car stuff.

I've had DeLorme Street Atlas, various versions as the years go by, since early in this decade. Works great on the PC, has fast routing, good adjustments for road preferences, speed settings, range, etc., and has a handheld version that runs on Palm or PocketPC and Windows Mobile. I have a Bluetooth GPS antenna that I can use with my laptop, iPAQ, or Windows smartphone.

Putting maps on the mobile device is tedious, and routing on the mobile device is nearly impossible, but routes from the PC are easy to move to the mobile, assuming your PC or laptop is handy. You can track with the GPS, and the laptop mobile device will give you directions, but on screen, not on Bluetooth. It does audible directions on its speaker, which was good in the car, but useless on the bike.

Since discovering Google Maps Mobile I've pretty much stuck to that on the phone just for locating myself, but it doesn't work on my iPAQ. It also uses my GPS, so it's almost like having Google Earth on my phone. Routing is a non-entity with that, though. You can set a start and end point, but I haven't seen how to set waypoints, and I don't think it tracks with the GPS to give you turn directions.

Of course, the phone is way too small to use as a real-time navigator. I stop if I get lost, or as I know I'm approaching a turn in infamiliar territory just to get my bearings. Not much use on an IBA ride with that kind of delay.

Ever since joining this forum last summer, I've been keeping my eye on the GPS threads. Still can't decide, because I can't go see any of these things anywhere. All the GPS units in stores here are automotive, not waterproof, etc.

Yes! Thank you guys so much. This is exactly the kind of info I'm seeking. You can't find this kind of responses anywhere as it relates to using the gps on the bike and car. Great place, great people. Thanks!! PM. <>< :yahoo: