GPS Trackers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here has handled a prototype or tester yet, but, according to my spot corporate mole, the gen 4 is/was scheduled to be released for sale, or at least advertised for sale, today. I don't know that I'll need the (merely theoretical at this point) extra functionality enough to need one. It'll be interesting to see the new device. I like to have the coolest stuff, but I like where I'm at with current pricing and functionality. At work, we are looking at making gen 3's mandatory for certain special teams, so we can track everybody on one screen.

LOL, I'm still using the original Gen I. Does what I need.

Canadian FJR
And I continue to use "Bubbler GPS Pro" on my Android phone - I realize it does nothing for you in an emergency if you are out of cell range but it works well with Spotwalla and saves the points to update when you get back to civilization. Sufficient for my purposes but not a substitute for everyone or for all circumstances.

Another happy Gen I user here
smile.png

I like the 2 way communication, also the revision to their fee structure which allows monthly activation.

I am not off the grid enough now to need to send and receive emails and texts as a matter of course. But the hiking and canoeing I did for years would have more than justified the X. Battery life looks excellent, but I've always preferred devices that used regular batteries. It's easier to pop a new set in than carrying a cord and recharging. Enough stuff to do that to already.

Stepping up fees to go along with the stepped up services:

WEEKENDER

• ANNUAL SERVICE FEE$199.99
  • 300 Messages
  • 5, 10, 30, 60 MinuteUnlimited Tracking
  • 25¢ per AdditionalMessage
  • $19.99 Activation Fee

ADVENTURER

• ANNUAL SERVICE FEE$299.99
  • UNLIMITED MESSAGES
  • 2½, 5, 10, 30 and 60 Minute Unlimited Tracking
  • FREE
  • $19.99 Activation Fee

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, now the main issue between Spot and Garmin/DeLorme is the satellite network. Garmin uses the Iridium Network, while Spot (traditionally) has used Globalstar. Globalstar may have issues at the poles, as other people have previously reported north of the Arctic Circle. I wonder what the new device uses. At the very least, Garmin now has some true competition.

FYI, I've had a Delorme InReach for a few years now. The customer service pre-Garmin was awesome, and I haven't needed any customer to be serviced with Garmin. I expect it to be similar to the GPS customer support which has been pretty good. At the very least, I haven't seen any huge price hikes that requires me to call them up and negotiate a better deal with the company.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Blind Squirrel" data-cid="1396155" data-time="1526038941"><p><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigjohnsd" data-cid="1396131" data-time="1526003093"><p><a href='https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php'>https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php</a></p></blockquote>

<br />

Stepping up fees to go along with the stepped up services:<br />

<br />

WEEKENDER<ul class='bbc'><li>ANNUAL SERVICE FEE<br />

$199.99<br /></li><li>300 Messages<br /></li><li>5, 10, 30, 60 Minute<br />

Unlimited Tracking<br /></li><li>25¢ per Additional<br />

Message<br /></li><li>$19.99 Activation Fee</li></ul>

<br />

ADVENTURER<ul class='bbc'><li>ANNUAL SERVICE FEE<br />

$299.99<br /></li><li>UNLIMITED MESSAGES<br /></li><li>2½, 5, 10, 30 and 60 Minute <br />

Unlimited Tracking<br /></li><li>FREE<br /></li><li>$19.99 Activation Fee</li></ul></p></blockquote>

Weekender

MONTHLY SERVICE FEE

$19.99

25 Messages

5, 10, 30, 60 Minute

Unlimited Tracking

25¢ per Additional

$19.99 Activation Fee

Adventurer

MONTHLY SERVICE FEE

$29.99

UNLIMITED MESSAGES

2½, 5, 10, 30 and 60 Minute

Unlimited Tracking

FREE

$19.99 Activation Fee

It is the Monthly option that I believe is new and if exercised, even with the activation fee, significantly reduced costs, especially for those that only need the service 6 months out of the year.

Interesting observation on the coverage at the poles. I had no trouble with my SPOT Gen 3 at Inuvik and Tuktayaktuk, both well North of the Arctic Circle last June. Both positions and tracking seemed to be right where I was.