GPS updates-Garmin vs Magellan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
In looking into getting a GPS unit, I looked at a few local retailers to see them first-hand and got conflicting reports that of the two manufacturers (Garmin & Magellan), some places said Garmin offers free map updates, but the next place said they didn't.

Also mentioned that Garmin had more detailed maps. Anyone care to comment on either of these items?

Garmin seems to have the lion's share of the portable (as in vehicular) navigator market. The fact is not without it's reasons.

It has been reported that Garmin goes the extra mile for it's clients - not my experience, mind you - try reading my review of the 276c on epinions if you care to know the reason for my feeling . . .

Garmin, Magellan, TomTom and everyone else buys their mapping data, most from one company. So the main differences are in the details - specifcally Points of Interest and the detail of rural coverage. But a lot of the devil is in the implementation.

Garmin again seems to do the best with the information.

As to updates - the answer is that the only time Garmin provides free updates is when you buy a navigator from a dealer and the included maps are out of date.

You can always order the latest mapping DVDs from Garmin - they supply and ship them for free. But they need to be unlocked and that requires payment of either $75 or $150 - depends on the specifics of the mapping your model uses - if you are not entitled to a free upgrade.

One good thing about Garmin mapping is that the license is good for two navigators. If you have two units - one in your car and another in the wife's, you are entitled to unlock the maps for both units (assuming that both units use the same mapping version,there are presently two types) - so that upgrade charge is effectively halved if you can benefit from it.

I too am looking for a good gps unit. I just recently traded my 01 RC51 in for an 05 fjr and am hoping to do some longer rides next year. One in particular may be a ride from Minnesota to Arizona and back. I would like to find a gps that is weather proof to some extent (just in case) is affordable and does not use an internal battery. Any body have any suggestions?

Actually, an internal battery (or mkore properly, a unit that has a battery that can be changed) is a good thing, though you want to power the unit and keep the battery charged by witring it to the machines electrical system (a switched lead). Consider that if you break down and have no power, the unit can still tell you where you are, provide the phone number of the closest garage and can be used to guide you if you have to hike to your destination.

Many of the automotive and all of the marine units are waterproof.

Your best bet is to head over to Garmin's web wite and click the link for the units recommended for motorcycle use and to take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent a little time with a Magellan and did not like the routing instructions or the visible map. YMMV

I ended up with a Garmin 2730 and have been happy with its performance.

The map updates from Garmin seem to be on a yearly basis and right now cost $75.00. However if you purchase your unit close to the release date of the new updated software and your unit is not current, the fee is waived.

Thanks for the info!

I'm looking for a unit that can be used for the bike as well as in the car. Prefer one that's somewhat compact.

How are the touch-screens for longevity? Anything else one needs to consider when purchasing a GPS?

"In looking into getting a GPS unit, I looked at a few local retailers to see them first-hand and got conflicting reports that of the two manufacturers (Garmin & Magellan), some places said Garmin offers free map updates, but the next place said they didn't."

Bramfrank is correct about the map updates

"As to updates - the answer is that the only time Garmin provides free updates is when you buy a navigator from a dealer and the included maps are out of date."

Currently, Garmin PND comes with version 8 software, and if you purchased your GArmin PND unit within 30-60 days of release of software, they will normally provide you with the update free of charge. This is the very reason why one should buy from a Garmin authorized dealer, a lot of the units out on auction sites is returns or re-box with outdated map software. But again, you get what you pay for. Contact Garmin tech support for correct answer.

"Also mentioned that Garmin had more detailed maps. Anyone care to comment on either of these items?"

Well, actually that is not true. Garmin maps use to have two levels of detail, the City Select which is used in most PDA's, C276c, 376c, i2, i3, i5, C320, C330 and so on have much less information and or attributes then the City Navigator software that is in your 26xx, 27xx, 28xx, 72xx, 75xx etc.

These additional attributes means information that is available was not purchased from NavTeq the mapping company that provides mapping software for both Garmin and Magellan.

To offer an example: When Garmin have the City Select mapping software, it has much less attributes, so if one was to go around a round about, and need to make a right on the 2nd or 3rd street, the unit will just say right turn ahead and does not offer any additional information on which street you should turn right on, you have to physically look at the screen to verify which street.

With the Garmin City Navigator software which have much more attributes, it will show and offer audio prompt of 2nd or 3rd right turn ahead at the round about.

Garmin has since switch to City Navigator LITE and City Navigator, again, the City Navigator LITE software is included in units such as Nuvi while the City Navigator is the standard software for the 26xx, 27xx, 28xx etc. The City Navigator lite software have less information then the normal City Navigator software. You have to have different units before you can notice what features and information is really missing.

As far as Magellan and Garmin goes. Many people think that Magellan is equal size to Garmin, and in fact is nowhere near the truth. Magellan dominated the PND GPS industry due to their early vehicle navigation units known as the PathMaster, then the 750Nav AKA Hertz Neverlost and lately the Magellan Roadmate.

So many users have experience the ease of use of the Magellan navigation system.

Garmin in the other hand are more into the outdoor, marine and aviation navigation system, they USED TO THINK they had the easiest user interface available when the offer the street pilot III and V which is not true.

I had a meeting with Min Kao CEO of Garmin and Cliff Pemble Chief engineer and #2 man in charge in Garmin. I told them their user interface is easy if you are an engineer or a pilot, but no easy for everyone else that never used a vehicle navigation system before. The test is to offer it to a 6 year old and a 65 year old, if both can use your vehicle navigation system without reading the instruction, then you have succeeded in offering a vehicle navigation unit for the general public.

I told Cliff he was right about Garmin customers thinking the Garmin units is very easy to use, that is why Magellan held over 50% of the PND market only a few short years ago with their Magellan Roadmate 700 and 760. Ask a Magellan customer how easy the Garmin is to use and he will discover a different story.

Garmin being FIVE times larger of a company then Magellan having FIVE times of engineering resources finally admitted that their design and user interface needed to change. The first easy to use unit was the Garmin C320, 330 etc. with the no nonsense route and address input. Very little features but enough for anyone that is trying to route from point A to point B without reading the user manual.

Garmin also have more marketing funds and are in better position to compete with Magellan due to larger resources to update their products to be more competitive, Magellan lost market share due to their focus on a lower price point unit with coming out with the Magellan Roadmate 300 and 360, it does not have an internal battery, it is a much slower processor and was not as desirable.

Garmin now controls over 50% of PND market share in the NA but not doing well at all in EU.

Magellan normally buys the FULL attribute mapping software from NavTeq.

On the other hand TomTom being a new player have went from zero market share in NA to about 20+% market share in a very short time, Garmin always felt that TomTom is the much bigger threat since their over sales volume are almost identical at about 1.5 Billion worldwide expected in 2007. Magellan sales is only around $300M but I think with their new design no nonsense RoadMate 2xxx with full features at a $499 price point, they will take some shares away from both Garmin and TomTom.

Funny thing is that TomTom uses a complete different map vender known as Tele Atlas, and some thinks it is not as accurate or detail in certain areas then NavTeq software. Again, it is preference and TomTom is the number one seller in EU.

So which system is better, they are like comparing a BMW, Honda and a Yamaha, you ask a guy that owns a Yamaha, they will say they have the best bike, you ask the guy that owns a Honda or BMW, they will say the same. So it is your preference that matters and as long as they get you from Point A to Point B, the unit is doing it's job.

Here is a review that I perform on the Garmin, Magellan and TomTom, it points out some of the strength and weakness from each unit, they are priced about the same and it will offer you a look at PND system features and limitations.

My Webpage

If you want a unit that is water resistant that can be use in your car with MP3 player, Topo maps at an affordable price, look at a Magellan RoadMate 2200 or 2500. If you wish to have the functionality of the Garmin units with full features, look at a Zumo 550 or the 2820 that is slightly more expensive. Both are GREAT units to own.

Hope this helps.

Actually, an internal battery (or mkore properly, a unit that has a battery that can be changed) is a good thing, though you want to power the unit and keep the battery charged by witring it to the machines electrical system (a switched lead). Consider that if you break down and have no power, the unit can still tell you where you are, provide the phone number of the closest garage and can be used to guide you if you have to hike to your destination.
Many of the automotive and all of the marine units are waterproof.

Your best bet is to head over to Garmin's web wite and click the link for the units recommended for motorcycle use and to take it from there.

Actually, I want a battery. Just not one that runs off something mounted in the unit that will cost hundreds of dollars to replace. AA's or anything else off the shelf is preferable, guess I meant I don't want an "integrated" battery.

Another option I was considering was a Blue Tooth GPS to use with my PDA. They tend to be less expensive, I would have 6GB+ of storage space, a 4.5" display, and I see you can buy an otterbox now that allows use of the PDA's screen. Any thoughts from anyone on these set ups?

Any and all info. helps!

I love that insider stuff. Really helps make up my mind as to what unit would work best for me. Thanks James. When it comes time to make the move I will defiantly give you a call.

Bill