GPS Viewing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go on a weekend trip through eastenr ohio next weekend. Borrowed a friends gps and mapped out the trip. I can see the gps unit just fine when its in my car, but take the thing outside (expecially when theres sunlight) and i can barely make out anything on it. Unit is a tom tom xl330.

Any tips or tricks anyone can recommend. I really dont see (no pun intended) how this thing is going to help me if i cant see it.

GreyGoose

Motorcycle specific GPS have brighter displays. Mounting the GPS low and center cuts down on the glare but makes you take your eyes off the road. There are a number of GPS sun shade manufacturers such as Glare Stomper and anti-glare films such as this one from NuShield.

You did not say how it was going to be mounted to the bike , but it helps if you use a RAM type mount as you can adjust the angle of the unit to avoid the direct sunlight.

You can also make a shield or visor to help darken the sides and top of the viewing screen.

Generaly though, I do not spend much time looking at the screen , but instead rely on the voice prompts to direct me on my route....as trying to look down at a GPS while moving on the bike is a good way to end up dead.

KM

You did not say how it was going to be mounted to the bike , but it helps if you use a RAM type mount as you can adjust the angle of the unit to avoid the direct sunlight.
You can also make a shield or visor to help darken the sides and top of the viewing screen.

Generaly though, I do not spend much time looking at the screen , but instead rely on the voice prompts to direct me on my route....as trying to look down at a GPS while moving on the bike is a good way to end up dead.

KM
this is an older gps and i dont have speakers mounted in the helmet. i was planning on mounting it with the new GIVi handlebar bag that mounts to the bars with velcro. its a new item that allows you to use your car GPS on your bike without worrying about it getting wet. What are the brightest screen GPS units made for autos (since i wouldnt have to worry about it getting wet in the new bag)?. I was planning on trying this GPS out to see if it was usable (ie. i could see the damn thing), then purchasing one myself.

GreyGoose

I'm getting ready to go on a weekend trip through eastenr ohio next weekend. Borrowed a friends gps and mapped out the trip. I can see the gps unit just fine when its in my car, but take the thing outside (expecially when theres sunlight) and i can barely make out anything on it. Unit is a tom tom xl330.
Any tips or tricks anyone can recommend. I really dont see (no pun intended) how this thing is going to help me if i cant see it.

GreyGoose
Best advice I can give is to make the screen face directly towards your face. This way, although direct sun may be on the screen, any actual reflections from the sun or bright sky are masked by your head.

My Tomtom Rider can be set to give large diagrammatic indications instead of the map display. This is easier to make out when you're fighting bright conditions.

KM
this is an older gps and i dont have speakers mounted in the helmet. i was planning on mounting it with the new GIVi handlebar bag that mounts to the bars with velcro. its a new item that allows you to use your car GPS on your bike without worrying about it getting wet. What are the brightest screen GPS units made for autos (since i wouldnt have to worry about it getting wet in the new bag)?. I was planning on trying this GPS out to see if it was usable (ie. i could see the damn thing), then purchasing one myself.

GreyGoose
The voice turn instructions are their major advantage.

I was planning on trying this GPS out to see if it was usable (ie. i could see the damn thing), then purchasing one myself.
I....and MANY other forum members...can assure you that a GPS designed specifically for motorcycle use, like the Garmin Zumo, is certainly a little pricier than others (okay, maybe a lot pricier), but once you use one, you'll wonder why you ever waited to get one and won't want to ride without one. I remember ordering my Zumo 550 and thinking "holy crap, this thing better be worth the money" and then, very shortly after installing it, thinking it is worth every penny. I can appreciate you wanting to try this one on for size, but even at it's best, it won't be anywhere near as functional or user friendly as one that is designed for a motorcycle.

I would say, unless the unit is too old and doesn't have it, use the voice prompts any way you can, even if it means buying some cheap ear buds, so you don't have to worry about what you can or can't see on the screen while you're riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the brightest screen GPS units made for autos (since i wouldnt have to worry about it getting wet in the new bag) ?.

I guess my question here is why would you wish to know this? If you plan on using your GPS in the car alot more than your bike, you should still buy a "motorcycle rated" GPS.

I use my Zumo in my car alot more often than my bike, and it does come with a handy car kit.

What I really like is the hands off feature built in to the car mount that allows me to talk on the phone without holding the phone..(a thing many bikers hate to see by the way)

On the bike I use either a bluetooth headset, or just a simple set of earbuds to listen to the built in MP3 player or Xm radio, along with the the voice prompts when needed.

The only reason to buy a "Car" GPS is if you either want to save money, or just don't have a bike.

I thought the same thing when I bought the Zumo that RC did..."holy crap , this better be worth the money" , after almost 3 years and numerous trips, I also can say it definitely was.

They are just very cool and handy things to have, so if you have a bike, get one for the bike....and you can still use it in the car.

KM

I have a cheap (TomTom1) and with the volume turned up, I can hear it at 70+MPH. I don't use a mount. I have indrustial velcro on it and the top of my tankbag. Do you have the brightness turned up all the way?? I can see the turn arrow and miles to the turn mine, except on bright days when the sun is in just the right place.

I have difficulty seeing mine as well when the sun is behind me. Mine is one of the bluetooth jobbies (2820) and really I don't look down at it that much at all. I just have it setup so Little Ms NowsWhereEverythingIs squawks at me through the headset. Very handy, especially when going through a strange city.

I have an old Garmin 2610 which works fine for me. I found last year when I went from wearing a pair of Sarengetti sunglasses to a cheap pair of who knows what that the screen was much harder to see. Saving up for new Sarengettis. Try different sunglasses. Might just help.

For safety sake, get the sound of the GPS into your helmet. You do not want to be looking down at a GPS when you should be scanning the road ahead, you know... for stuff like deer, moose, cows, armadillos. Oh yeah and those 4 wheeled varmints.

I sell chips into the GPS market and have about a dozen here that I have used. I have studied this product category extensively.

I have mounted both Garmin and Tomtom devices on the bike. I have also used a Zumo. My opinions:

- Zumo is best, but not 5 times better than a car version. Buy it if you can part with the money.

- Garmin is much much brighter than Tomtom. I stopped using the Tomtom's on my bike.

- However, I made due with a Tomtom (720) in the UK recently since I owned a Tomtom UK map and not a Garmin UK map.

- I created a new high-contrast color screen on the Tomtom for use on the bike. It works better in sunlight than the standard map colors. Use Tomtom Home to make new colors and download them to your GPS.

- Right now I'm using a Garmin nuvi200 on the FJR and love it. Works fine with gloves. I rarely touch it while riding - mostly while stopped for safety reasons.

- I don't use sound now, but an getting ready to wire another Nuvi (4.3" screen) into my starcom.

- Tomtom research showed that audio commands were much safer than using the screen. They showed it was even safer than using no GPS aid (ie traditional roadsign and landmark navigation).

Summary, buy the best if you have the money. But you will appreciate a car GPS on your bike almost as much. And the Garmin's do better in sunlight than the Tomtoms.

- Zumo is best, but not 5 times better than a car version. Buy it if you can part with the money.
It doesn't need to be 5 times better. Street price on a Zumo 550 is $550-600. You aren't seriously considering any automobile GPSes that cost $100 are you?

If the GPS doesn't accept uploading routes (like your Nuvi 200 for example) it isn't really worth having IMO. A Motorcyclist is not going to want to settle on the GPS'es auto routing from point A to B with only fastest or shortest parameters.

- I don't use sound now, but am getting ready to wire another Nuvi (4.3" screen) into my starcom.
See my prior post. GPS sound into the helmet is a safety thing.

You do NOT want to be looking down at a GPS screen all the time.

I have a Zumo 550 mounted on the left side of the N-Line shelf, the only time the glare is a problem is when the sun is behind me, and I just put my hand to cover it if I need to look, I fight over it with my wife, I may need to get her a cheaper one for the car

I was planning on trying this GPS out to see if it was usable (ie. i could see the damn thing), then purchasing one myself.
I....and MANY other forum members...can assure you that a GPS designed specifically for motorcycle use, like the Garmin Zumo, is certainly a little pricier than others (okay, maybe a lot pricier), but once you use one, you'll wonder why you ever waited to get one and won't want to ride without one. I remember ordering my Zumo 550 and thinking "holy crap, this thing better be worth the money" and then, very shortly after installing it, thinking it is worth every penny. I can appreciate you wanting to try this one on for size, but even at it's best, it won't be anywhere near as functional or user friendly as one that is designed for a motorcycle.

I would say, unless the unit is too old and doesn't have it, use the voice prompts any way you can, even if it means buying some cheap ear buds, so you don't have to worry about what you can or can't see on the screen while you're riding.
I concur...............my 2820 is great. Bright........waterproof.......Mp3.........XM.........bluetooth for phone.