GPS, Worth the $$$ or not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Is it Friday yet?

Been thinking about GPS. I've never been a big fan of GPS, but can see where they would be helpful in some situations. What I love to do is read maps, here at home on the throne, and find roads that look good, then go ride them. I use Microsoft Street and Trips for route planning, but do not always follow the routes once I get to the general area. I love to find a new road I haven't ridden before and ride it. But I'll admit I am a noob on the GPS tech. I guess you could say I'm still on analog on maps.

So, some questions. Will a GPS like Zumo 550 allow me to "ad-lib" a route on the road, like create the route on the GPS on the road, or do I have to use the computer to create the route and then download? Can I use the MS software for the route planning then load it to the 550,or do I have to use some proprietary software from Garmin?

Do I really need a MC ready GPS, or could I just put a car GPS in my tank bag and look at it after I get "lost" (so far, whereever I went, there I was, but never lost!).

What else do I need to know before I go sink $$$ into this? :headbonk:

I now live in NC. Really glad I have a GPS. In CA didn't need one, always "knew" where I was. I could look up and see the mountians and I could usually get where I was going. Here in East NC you look up, and all you see is sky! NO markers that "speak" to me. Can read maps. From what you say, just a run of the mill GPS in your tank bag for that special situation could be handy. Only issue, you want to keep it charged in case you do need it. I have a Garmin 550. You can put maps into it off your computer, a special program. Personally I have not got a handle on it myself. One thing the GPS is good for, you can wander to your heart's content and when you either fell "misplaced" or just want to get "Home" you pull out the GPS and punch "Home".

Where I loose with maps is that I can't keep in mind my "next turn" worth a damn! Either have to make notes, or have the map in the map window of the tank bag. Down side with GPS for me is that I don't always end up on some cool back roads, and in NC dirt roads happen, don't like dirt roads at all, and the GPS doesn't tell you what the road is. But, if you want to "wander" from the GPS route, it'll just continue trying to redirect you, first it'll keep telling you to GO BACK and at some time it'll just give you a new route.

I didn't feel like springing for a GPS unit, so I chose to purchase Garmin Mobile XT for my phone. My phone happens to have a GPS antenna built into it. Some do, most don't. You can get a GPS antenna that may connect to your phone via the data port. You'll have to check into your phone features.

The Garmin software for the phone is much cheaper than doing a subscription phone navigation service and works well enough to get me home.

My zumo 550 is one of the few electronic gagets that actually exceeded my expectations.

Yes you can build routes without a computer.

If you want adventure pick your destination and set the unit to shortest route and you'll get some adventure (ask my wife about the creek crossing on a fully loaded HD softail two up in the Shawnee National Forest).

Also very comforting when you are low on fuel in the middle of nowhere and you push the fuel button and find that there are several gas stations around you. maps won't tell you that.

I use an atlas with the gps. I can zoom into an area that is too general on my atlas and get more detail. found my way to several really cool very secluded camp sites that way.

Is it worth the money? to me it was. Having a motorcycle specific gps will allow you to be much more efficient with your time cause you don't have to stop and pull out the atlas.

Im a total map whore but the gps has just enhanced that not replaced it.

there is a zumo forum, google it and I'm sure you'll find all the info your looking for.

Thanks for the inputs. I too, am a map whore. It's almost pathetic this addiction. I actually have some old gas station maps that pre-date the interstate systems in some states, like AZ...

I am going to surf the Garmin forum and see what I can pick up. I really like the comment that it enhances the use of the maps,,,,that would be perfect for me.

Thanks!

Thanks for the inputs. I too, am a map whore. It's almost pathetic this addiction. I actually have some old gas station maps that pre-date the interstate systems in some states, like AZ...
I am going to surf the Garmin forum and see what I can pick up. I really like the comment that it enhances the use of the maps,,,,that would be perfect for me.

Thanks!
I just looked and you can pick up a Garmin 2820 refurb for $215. This is a first rate unit and has bluetooth, XM and is waterproof.

Gramin 2820 for $215

I love my GPS!

But I still like my MFP (map, folded paper) too. Like canyonman says, GPS enhances the maps usefulnes.

The Zumo was like starting another whole hobby in itself. At least until I became more familiar with Mapsource.

A couple of my favorite Garmin/Mapsucks...er Mapsource features that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet:

Plan a route in Mapsource and then click "view in Google Earth". When GE comes up the route is laid down on the GE satellite imagery. Helps to check for quirks in Mapsource's routing. In some cases you can even pick up enough detail in GE to tell when a road changes from paved to gravel. My favorite paper maps often don't distiguish paved from gravel.

I love the audio functions this stuff has. With earbuds in and a route loaded in the gps there is no need to constantly take eyes off the road to look at maps/notes or to try to squint out the names on street signs flying by. Just ride and enjoy the road/sceenery (music, if MP3,XM equipped) until you here the "in six tenths of a mile turn left on...." prompts (comes on over the music). When I first interstated my way through a big city I was impressed that the gps would prompt well in advance not only the next turn or exit but which lane I needed to be in before I got there. No more seeing the sign and then having to cross six lanes to get to it. Makes twowheelin a little safer IMHO.-Unless your listening to one of XM's comedy channels and Lewis Black's account of virginity lost makes you laugh so hard you damn near run off the road.

WORTH EVERY NICKLE-ymmv

If you never read my reviews on epinions you could be forgiven for not knowing why a GPS has it all over paper maps. However, having said that I like paper maps.

But to use a map you need to know where you are; You need to stop to read the darned thing; The map won't tell you where most (though it might have perhaps some) of the gas stations and restaurants are; It certainly won't tell you how many minutes of driving or riding it will take to get there; Zumo even warns you when you are getting low on gas (and it isn't bad about it) and then offers you suggested gas stations, based on where you are. It won't keep a tally of when you'll get home if you turn around *NOW*.

Depending on which model you buy it won't tell you about weather or traffic; It won't play music and give you news. It won't tell you who is phoning (even if you don't have a headset - it is good to know when the SO is calling so you can stop and call her back). It won't serve as proof that you weren't (or were) speeding. It won't usually give you elevation data; It isn't a compass; It can't tell you what the time is or when you will get where you are going if you ride/drive the speed limit. It won't show your family pictures and it can't play 'what if' in planning routes - in terms of arrival time. It won't tell you where the closest hospital, grocery store, museum, school, garage or gas station is or guide you back to your car/bike when you've parked in a crowded parking lot.

In other words, GPS units rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work from home and have to keep the maps on the other side of the house so I don't get tempted to sit and look at maps all day!

I love maps, especially the Gazetteers. However, when on road trips, I can't bring 5-6 gazetteers with me. There just isn't enough space. Therefore, I got the 550.

The 550 is nice but it won't replace your maps for finding all those little squiggly roads out in the boonies. The screen is too small and not detailed enough to find the twisty backroads unless you already know they are there. The mapsource software is better, but it doesn't show topography and need to zoom in pretty far to get the details to show the roads (like MSST). I find myself with google maps on one screen, and mapsource on the other, when planning routes in the boonies.

Where a GPS really shines is in cities. I travel at least once a month to visit a client and my clients are always in big cities. The Zumo's ability to route me through cities is worth its price. Doing this in the rain justifies the cost of a MC-specific unit.

There are other perks to the 550, like the mp3 player and cell phone access .. but you asked about the GPS capability ;-)

You can get a refurb 2720 for $165 + $13 shipping from the same place blufjr mentions above.

I have a 2720 and I really am spoiled about having a GPS in front of me as I ride. I use the speedometer display on the GPS rather than looking down at the instrument cluster. It lists local food, lodging, and fuel nearby from just about anywhere. Now that I am used to having one it would be difficult to ride without it.

That said, a good GPS is expensive, and they don't last forever. I have been using a Garmin 2720 for a couple of years and after 2 years of hard riding, long mileage, and plenty of weather, it started acting up this year. So. I just ordered a reburb from the link I listed above. I'll probably switch my old one into one of the cars where it will be out of the weather and use the fresh one on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well worth the dinero. At dusk, punch the 'local hotel' button. Press call selected hotel. Make reservation while riding. Enjoy the rest of the ride knowing you have a place to roost. No looking for hotels, getting off the bike, finding they are full, charge too much, or only have smoking rooms available. Yes, they rock.

ps - you have to have Starcom/Autocom + blue tooth phone for the above scenario to play out.

I was amazed at the difference in my riding habits with the GPS. I find myself wandering onto any road I choose without second guessing whether I might get lost. It opens up alot of exploring options. Along with all the previous comments I would add the ability to download routes from others who may have found some excellent roads in their past. Also, the safety factor of not having to look down at your maps while riding (admit it. we've all done it :rolleyes: )

Well, I asked. And you guys have succeeded in selling me on getting one. Now I just have to go figure out which one, and can I get it fast enough for the next big ride. The GPS probably would come in handy in BFE Wyoming or Montana. I was about convinced to let go of the coin for a Zumo, but may go cheap on the first one and get a 2820 or that 27XX, have to decide by Monday....If I get to liking it, then I can move it to the truck or wife's car and get the Zumo.

One quick question, I am putting the bike back together from the scare I had on the CCT, (another post), but what type of power source do these GPS take, a cigarette plug in or a direct wire to a power strip?

Have I ever told you guys this Forum is the best?!?!?!?!

If you get the 2720 or 2820, you will need to also buy a motorcycle mount kit, which comes with a power cable that you hardware to the battery or your fusebox. The 27/28 series do not have internal batteries, and you don;t really want to wire them to a cigarette plug (the one it comes with won't fit). Search on ebay for "Garmin 2720 motorcycle" they cost about $40. you will also need a ram mount or tech mount to attach the kit to the stem nut, or to the handlebar.

The Zumo series has a mount methinks, but not not the ram or tech mount.

I went for the Garmin refurbed 2730. I would personally opt for the 2820 (bluetooth phone is cool) over the Zumo to save the $$.

I was amazed at the difference in my riding habits with the GPS. I find myself wandering onto any road I choose without second guessing whether I might get lost. It opens up alot of exploring options. Along with all the previous comments I would add the ability to download routes from others who may have found some excellent roads in their past. Also, the safety factor of not having to look down at your maps while riding (admit it. we've all done it :rolleyes: )
+1

The best roads I have found were by taking the "I wonder what's down this road" turns along my route. I don't use a motorcycle GPS. I use a regular car version and am very happy. Used Garmin and Tomtom on ebay for under $100. Mounts from Ram mount for $20. Sweet.

I use both 'Streets and Trips' and MapSource. I use 'GPS Babel' to port the way points between the two. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work.

Well worth the dinero. At dusk, punch the 'local hotel' button. Press call selected hotel. Make reservation while riding. Enjoy the rest of the ride knowing you have a place to roost. No looking for hotels, getting off the bike, finding they are full, charge too much, or only have smoking rooms available. Yes, they rock.
ps - you have to have Starcom/Autocom + blue tooth phone for the above scenario to play out.
+1 These are some features I can never see myself getting tired of using on a long ride.

One quick question, I am putting the bike back together from the scare I had on the CCT, (another post), but what type of power source do these GPS take, a cigarette plug in or a direct wire to a power strip?
The Zumo has two mounts. The car mount is a cig lighter, the bike mount is direct wired.