GPS & XM question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Garmin 2730 unit and have found some that have and some that do not have the GXM 30 antenna for XM reception.

I don't and won't be subscribing to XM Radio, but is the XM Weather option only good in the 20 or so "big" citie areas-not of any use elsewhere?

There's about a $70 difference between the units. But it looks like if you want to add the antenna later is is quite pricey.

Guess the only reason I would consider going with the antenna is in case I ever decided to sell and get a different GPS.

Satellite weather reports (XM and Sirius audio) is only for certain (larger) cities. I can't speak for the map overlays. My concern about these combo devices is the same I have for all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers. If one breaks you lose access to all the functions. You are also subject to the "quality" of function based on the choices of the engineers (like the old console stereo cabinets). With individual devices you can toss your money at the function you use most and pick functionality of one component separetely from the other.

One other thing is to check to see if leasing the weather map overlay from XM is even an option without first subscribing to XM radio.

XCSP,

I just got my 2730 on the bike. I bought it from CostCo during their special on this unit. Something that I just figured out is that the XM Radio IS THE ANTENNA, and the GPS head unit is the control. The antenna has the radio ID on it. I was told that the 'very expensive' GXM-30 is required for traffic subscription only, perhaps you can buy a cheaper standard XM antenna off of Garmin. I do not subscribe to the nav/traffic feature, but instead use the dedicated XM local station for NY traffic.

Frankly, I'm hooked on XM Radio in general. I was first reluctant, but now I have 3 units, one for each car, and one for the FJR. The weather/traffic channel is hardly used, and limited to major markets (check xmradio.com). The draw is the quality of the music, and the relatively commercial free nature of XM. Buy it, you'll like it. Also, XM currently has a free radio promotion if you activate a family plan, which is an extra $7 per month.

dgfella

I have a Zumo with the XM radio and I also got the weather/traffic service, as it was only 4 bucks more a month over the regular radio subscription. I do however, live close to St. Louis , MO, which is on their Big List of citys. The weather and traffic are very handy to have, but I do not use them that much around here. But I did not buy my FJR to just ride around town, I bought it to do some Touring, and when covering vast distances, having the GPS with the weather and traffic is just too cool a tool to pass up. Really, if your just going to ride around you area, what the hell do you need a GPS for anyway...much less traffic and weather, you can get that on TV before you go out.

But if I planned on riding down to Florida, (which I will this summer) I can get upcoming weather reports from several major cities along the way, and if going through the bigger towns, the traffic info would be great. (My recent ride through Memphis showed me how usefull this type of info could be)

Also, with hours in the saddle, the XM radio helps while-away the time.

The XM "antenna" for the Garmin units is not just a regular xm antenna, but is in fact the recieving unit , the Garmin just acts as a controller, thus this explains why they are expensive. The GXM reciever does work with any of the Garmin GPS devices that have the proper interface, so if you switch from say the 2730 to a Zumo later, you can keep the XM puck and use it on the new unit. Also, as these puppies are expensive, the market for selling a used one is pretty good, you can recoup alot of your investment if you feel the XM thing ain't for you.

The problem of course for you is if you do not want the XM "radio" but just the weather and traffic, you still have to pay for regular XM subscription...not sure if it would be worth it this way, but I'd just get a pair of nice earphones and force myself to rock out.......

KM

Weather requires XM, but traffic does not.

Garmin sells a series of traffic receivers (subscription based) that operate using FM subcrarrier transmissions on local boradcast signals. European service isincluded in the price of the device. in the US the price of the receiver includes the first 15 months service and ongoing service costs $60/year.

The GTM devices work in various combinations on the Nuvi, C series, Zumo and Streetpilot 2700 & 2800 devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at the Garmin 2730 unit and have found some that have and some that do not have the GXM 30 antenna for XM reception.
I don't and won't be subscribing to XM Radio, but is the XM Weather option only good in the 20 or so "big" citie areas-not of any use elsewhere?

There's about a $70 difference between the units. But it looks like if you want to add the antenna later is is quite pricey.

Guess the only reason I would consider going with the antenna is in case I ever decided to sell and get a different GPS.
I belive that the 2730 is the only unit that comes packaged with the GMX30, I could be wrong check with Garmin on that. The weather reports from the NavTraffic service are from any airports and radio stations that have weather stations. Bottom line is the weather info is all over coverage not just the 20 or so big cities. The traffic overlay is from the big cities, where you need it.

NavTraffic is available as a stand alone service for $9.95/ month or $3.95/ month on top of the regular XM subscription for $12.95 per. NavTraffic weather is NOT the same as the XM/WX service, that's the one with the weather overlays. NavTraffic is text and icon based weather reports and I feel still very helpful and easliy worth the extra $4.00. XM/WX is not available on the 2730 only NavTraffic.

If your interested in a more detailed description of how you receive and see the weather from NavTraffic I can post that of PM you with it.

More information about weather on a Garmin GPS unit. The 376, 378, and 478 all have the capability to receive detailed weather from XM radio if the optional GXM30 receiver/antenna is installed. XM has an "Aviator LT" package for $29.99 a month which includes NEXRAD radar, detailed city forecasts, county warmings, and precipitation type. The activation fee is $75.

I'm considering buying the 378 which includes all maps for North America pre-loaded. The NEXRAD radar could be extremely helpful on a road trip, to determine where thunderstorms, tornados, and snow might be, giving you a chance to choose a better route.

More information about weather on a Garmin GPS unit. The 376, 378, and 478 all have the capability to receive detailed weather from XM radio if the optional GXM30 receiver/antenna is installed. XM has an "Aviator LT" package for $29.99 a month which includes NEXRAD radar, detailed city forecasts, county warmings, and precipitation type. The activation fee is $75.
I'm considering buying the 378 which includes all maps for North America pre-loaded. The NEXRAD radar could be extremely helpful on a road trip, to determine where thunderstorms, tornados, and snow might be, giving you a chance to choose a better route.
Jackson, I have the 378 and it is Great. The Nexrad radar is excellent while touring so you can see whats up out there. The screen resolution is also much better thatn the other Garmin units that I have had. If you do any fishing this unit also is preloaded with north american fresh water lakes info.

+1 I have the 376C and the NEXRAD function is great, especially this time of year with thunderstorms. I went with the Aviator LT package and I am glad I did. :rolleyes:

Quick comment - The 376 is packaged with the GXM30 antenna - so if you choose that model you won;t need to buy the puck - but you WILL have to buy the Auto Kit (map and memory at a minimum) to use it in a car or on a bike.

+1 I have the 376C and the NEXRAD function is great, especially this time of year with thunderstorms. I went with the Aviator LT package and I am glad I did. :rolleyes:
I sighned up for the fisherman package it is only 50.00 activation and the same 30.00 month but I liked the selection of info, better suites my needs.

I sighned up for the fisherman package it is only 50.00 activation and the same 30.00 month but I liked the selection of info, better suites my needs.
Wow. Thanks for the tip. The reduced activation fee for the Marine/Fisherman package will make it more feasible to deactivate the service if I'm not doing much riding for a few months in the winter.