Grand Canyon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRottie

Independent
Reaction score
Long story short, some dudes and I will be riding to the canyon.

Going to stay in Williams or at the south rim.

Anyone know of a good overnight hotel/motel for half a dozen bikers 'round thar ?

When are you going? This time of year hotels can be scarce due to the high tourist season. I usually carry a tent and pitch a spot on US forest service land. I have stayed at the Best Western in Williams before. It's a bit of a dive but the bed was soft and the water was hot. It truly wasn't a whole lot better than staying in a Motel 6.

If you plan on going soon, just do a search on www.travelocity.com, www.expedia.com, www.orbitz.com, www.hotels.com, or other travel search engine and pick one. Sometimes the hotel experience adds to the sense of adventure.

We are going in August.

I was looking at hotels in Williams. Just wondering if anyone had a recommended spot for a night.

The Best Western would do.

Tks for the info. :thumbsupsmiley:

FJRottie, last time I was there I stayed at the Travelodge -- okay, but nothing special. Williams is a nice little western mountain town (nothing fancy). But, on the east end of town (the old highway goes thru town) is a motel that's made-up of a group of cabins spaced around a hillside -- I told myself, "Next-time...."

You know, too, they've got old trains (diesel & steam) that run from Williams to G.C. don't you?

We are going in August.I was looking at hotels in Williams. Just wondering if anyone had a recommended spot for a night.

The Best Western would do.

Tks for the info. :thumbsupsmiley:
August = Hot !

March = bloody freezing !! Snow was still at the Canvon !

FROZENFJR.jpg

I can't remember the hotel we stayed at , but I like the smaller ones, so you can keep your bike right outside your door.

This one's also in Williams, sorta dumpy, we didn't stay here but just had to take the pic for obvious reasons ! :D

HIGHLANDERHOTEL.jpg

South of the canyon, on 64 toward I40, is a Hostel. IIRC it was about $10 a night and was clean. That was a few years ago, so prices are probably higher now. But hostels tend to be minimalistic and inexpensive. It was near Red Lake and next to a Bell gas station. They let me park my bike under the eave of the motel (on the sidewalk) and had no problems the next morning when I had to replace a leaking fuel filter on my GL1200 before leaving (the return trip from my first BBG). I was there in September and the mornings were cool enough to have dew on everything. Also, the operators of the Hostel said it was past the height of tourist season so I ended up with the room to myself. Just saw it as I was heading back from a look-see of the canyon. It seemed like the place and time to stop for the night, so I did. Just the way I like to take trips. Stop when you want, start when you want, no reservations so no need to stop just because that's where you had planned to before ever hitting the bike's starter button 2 weeks ago.

For more conventional lodging and KOAs, there are places all up and down 64 and at th 64/i-40 junction.

Last edited by a moderator:
... carry a tent and pitch a spot on US forest service land ...
+1. There's a bunch of US Forest Service dirt roads that lead off the main road just south of Tusayan. They told me I could go down any one of them and camp anywhere as long as it was more than 1/4 mile in. There's also an offical campground just south of Tusayan that costs $10 or so.

When in August will you be there? I'll be staying at the South Rim, Sunday, 8/7.
The 7th is a monday. I am going the weekend of the 12th.

Now the guys are thinking about going to the North Rim. I don't care where we go personally, but they all think the North is more worthwhile.

My mistake... I'll be there Sunday 8/6. The North is something to see, this is true. I've never been to the south, hence the reason for going there this time... One thing I know...I had to reserve the room 3 months in advance.

Have a great trip.

Saw two FJRs on Fri, 11 Aug, in Zion Nat'l Park.

A Silver one, followed by a Blue one. Red Jacket on the rider of the Blue.

Saw a FJR in the middle of a rainstorm (with hail) between the north and south rim, east of the canyon on Sat, Aug 12th.

I was on a red Fatboy and I was being followed by an Electra Glide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The North Rim is amazing. I was there on 9/11. There is a lodge right on the rim of the canyon. Some of the rooms and cabins are literally on the rim. I can't remember the name, but it's the only commercial establishment there. The North Rim has about 0.1% of the crowds you'll see on the south side. It's a lot more laid back and an experience you will never forget.

The land within about 10 miles of the north rim is National Park Service, and I doubt if they allow camping. But beyond, to the north, is US Forest Service (Kaibab National Forest I think), and they may allow camping in remote areas.