Grip cover option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I have noticed some older grips on bikes getting slippery or degraded from gloves/oil/wear, and if you have those expensive heated grips, they might be worth protecting. I use Grip Puppies in the summer, but since the heat doesn't transfer as well with the puppies on, I just take them off for the colder weather.

For others that have sought a larger diameter or different shape (e.g., BMW grips), and want a simple solution, you could wrap them with bicycle or baseball grip wrap, OR........

As an experiment, I got some 2" heat shrink tubing. I cut two pieces 1" long, 2-1/4", and 4-3/4", using a paper guillotine cutter (you could use a knife and a square). First, I shrunk the 1" pieces on the middle of the grip, then the 2-1/4 over that, and finally the long pieces that cover the grip completely. I found that the heat shrink doesn't shrink hardly at all in length, just diameter. Heat gun or propane torch with a wide dispersing tip, not a concentrated flame. It does take a bit to get it shrunk, and you must be careful not to melt anything valuable.

It results in a slightly fatter grip in the middle for comfort, and covers the entire grip to keep oils, etc. off them. Better yet, the heat transfers well. You could make the shorter pieces a bit longer if you want, or put another layer of the long piece on for a fatter grip. You can always remove this stuff if you don't like it. I just thought there are some that might be interested.......... sorry, no pictures, I think you can visualize, but if you want some, PM me with your email addy.

Last edited by a moderator: