Grip Puppies install...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagger

Reaction score
Received my Grip Puppies today and when I went to the website to see about installation, it said to use soapy water.

Is this the best way to install these deals? I'm concerned that the soapy water will make the grips slide about once they're installed. Like rotating 'round the stocker grips or slidin' back and forth. :(

Some suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

BAGGER

If they are like regular grips, a little squirt of compressed air in between the started grip and the inner bar surface will most likely help them along...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have access to compressed air so I went the soapy water route.

After the water drys/evaporates they won't move or slide on you.

Thanx for the assistance. I've got a compressor and some soapy water as well. :)

Appreciate your replies, guys.

BAGGER

I used some soapy water, but think I shoulda used more soap. It was a bitch getting the puppies on the grips, but I did manage.

The puppies are a good improvement in size and feel to the stocker grips. But, unfortunately, it has been raining it's ass off here in Ct-land for dayz and dayz and will continue.... I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to try them out. But, I'm sure they will be an improvement.

On another note.... I was not sure I made the correct choice when I bought the bike. But, after a 1000 miles of riding it I'm feeling better about my purchase. Seems it takes some time to get used to the more forward riding position. I'm still working on it, but the pressure on my hands seems to be less.... I do "sit" on the bike, now ... instead of leaning on my hands. I don't know if I enjoy this position or not. Time will tell. I've only done 140 miles at one stint without a stop and it was getting "old" at that time.... this regards my butt and hands.

We'll see. ;)

BAGGER

I used some soapy water, but think I shoulda used more soap. It was a bitch getting the puppies on the grips, but I did manage.
The puppies are a good improvement in size and feel to the stocker grips. But, unfortunately, it has been raining it's ass off here in Ct-land for dayz and dayz and will continue.... I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to try them out. But, I'm sure they will be an improvement.

On another note.... I was not sure I made the correct choice when I bought the bike. But, after a 1000 miles of riding it I'm feeling better about my purchase. Seems it takes some time to get used to the more forward riding position. I'm still working on it, but the pressure on my hands seems to be less.... I do "sit" on the bike, now ... instead of leaning on my hands. I don't know if I enjoy this position or not. Time will tell. I've only done 140 miles at one stint without a stop and it was getting "old" at that time.... this regards my butt and hands.

We'll see. ;)

BAGGER
Bagger,

Sounds like you were after something with a bit more "touring" aspects to it. I think alot of folks are in the same boat. Many a sport touring fans want more tour than sport and look for an extremely comfortable riding postion. With the FJR oriented to the sport side of the house, your going to be hard pressed to find that position (even with risers). I've only found that "perfect" balance between sport and touring on one other bike. That was an st1100 with 3inch risers. Those risers brought the bars far enough back for me to have a true vertical riding position. That combined with a corbin enabled me to ride long distances without a second thought and continue to sport ride when the scenary called for it. Of course the style, performance, and grin factor was greatly reduced compared to the FJR and the sport characteristics were greatly reduced with this setup. But, i knew i could get on that bike and ride it all day!!!

The bottom line is that you have to consider what you plan on doing with this thing. If you going to tour the country with your significant other (or solo), and your trying to do it in complete comfort, This aint your bike. If most of your riding is commuting around town with frequent trips to some twisties, and a occasional 3 day journey out and about, This bike should do it for you.

The st1300 would put you in the same boat. You'd gain a little more in position , but lose out in styling, performance (but the st13 is no dog), and heat management. Before i sold my st13 and bought the fjr, i was looking for risers and new seat. Now with the fjr, i'm looking for riser, seat, and windshield. Will it end out being as comfortable as my old st1100 with those 3 inch risers and corbin? Probably not. But it will be a hell of alot of fun to own and ride.

GreyGoose

Grey Goose...

It's really too soon for me to know if I will enjoy this bike as much as other folks, or other bikes I have owned.

I am adapting to the riding position .... albeit slooooowly. And, I think that adding some farkles over time may be helpful to make my riding experience more comfy. Yeah, these may take the 'sport' outa the bike, but whatever, eh.

I think that some 1-1.5" risers will help as will a new saddle with a rider's backrest. And, I'll probably add a larger windscreen as well.

I still have 2 other bikes that I enjoy. When I tour (solo, mostly) for a week or so, I use my 2001 G/Wing. It's my all time favorite bike. I like the riding position, the protection from the elements, speed, comfort and relative agility, luggage space, too. And, it looks kewl to me as well.

My VTX1300 serves me when I feel like throwing on my 30 year old HD jacket and listening to some Cobra rumble.... but, that usually lasts just 100 miles.

The FJR will not be a touring bike for me. I may take it for a short day or 2 trip, but don't see it as a long tour bike. I see it as a bike that I can enjoy in the twisties and enjoy the acceleration coming out of the curves. I don't yet know what niche it will fill. The farkles that will end up on the bike may make it a fave.

I have time.

BAGGER

Guess I will order up some grip puppies....

For me, this bike tours well one-up.

For twisty riding and enjoying V-twin torque, it is going to be a new SV1000